Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,522,965 times

Advertisements

So let's say she had not brought a soup, but then didn't eat any of yours. What would your complaint have been then?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 AM

If your specialty is making soup and serving it at dinners, you'd surely know that tomato bisque and clam chowder aren't going to please everyone.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,405,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Don't you have regular bowls you could have offered for their broth based soup? As the hostess, YOU should have offered a real bowl.

I don't eat seafood, so no clam chowder. Tomato is "ok", but not a meal. I don't eat bread. Edamame is not a meal - more like a snack. I don't care for it. Is that all you served? Did you have a green salad or something else?

I would have either eaten beforehand or after I left your place, because there would not have been much there I could have eaten either.

Also, how clean is your kitchen?
Ouch, you don't sound like a very pleasant dinner guest.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Clam chowder. Aren't clams a protein? And I believe cream is also. Don't most people include protein of some kind with a meal? I think vegans eat beans for protein, and maybe rice is a protein also.
The point was that a lot of people don't eat clam chowder, and the other soup option provides no/very little protein.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:24 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
This did happen.
You are making a big deal over nothing.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:24 AM

4,076 posts, read 2,167,229 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever invited family over dinner and they brought their own food? They weren't asked in advance either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I haven't read all the pages, but this is how this SHOULD have gone:

Hostess: We'd love to have you all to dinner. I'm planning on serving x, y, and z.
Guest: That sounds great. What can I bring?
Hostess: If you could bring dessert (or a salad or side dish or whatever), that would be great.

Problem solved.

Alternatively,

Hostess: We'd love to have you all to dinner. I'm planning on serving x, y, and z.
Guest: That sounds wonderful. Thanks for thinking of us. We would love to come, but there's one issue. I am allergic to X/on a special diet/whatever the issue may be. I'd be happy to bring my own entrée so that you don't have to change plans based on me.
Hostess: That sounds great. Thanks for being upfront. I'll make a note of your restriction for the next time we get together.
Quote:
This did happen.
I'm having trouble following this. In the original post, you said the guests "weren't asked in advance either." I assume you meant they weren't asked to bring anything when offered the invitation (not that they weren't invited in advance---that you called them up spur of the moment and said to come right over).

But in reply to CMMom's great suggestions, you said "this did happen." Are you saying you said it would be a soup in a bread bowl? As I said in an earlier post, it's just too much of a coincidence that the guests brought soup without knowing that it was soup night (most people would just bring wine or dessert). So when they asked what they could bring, what did you assign them? Did you ask for dessert and they brought soup instead?

It sounds like you had a nice dinner planned for your guests and that's more than so many people do these days (cooking for themselves, much less cooking for guests). But if there is no wiggle room for the menu to be supplemented by something a guest feels like contributing, then the niceness of the meal is diminished by the rigid expectations that you had for perfection. Hopefully you are a good actress and the guests didn't pick up on your displeasure.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It's obvious to me that the OP was a person who had a talent for making soups.
You're assuming. It's possible that it's not the case, and that's why the guest brought something else.

Before anyone jumps me ... no, I'm not justifying, just offering a possible explanation.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:29 AM

They said they offered a glass bowl instead of the bread bowl. Guest did not want to be rude so accepted the bread bowl.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM

51,225 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
I LOVE clam chowder in bread bowls!! Wish I was there at your party!
I find clam chowder to be an odd choice for a dinner, unless you know everybody eats clams...I wouldn't have even wanted to WATCH people eat clam chowder let alone eat it myself.. The other choice was tomato, which to me is just a side for grilled cheese (there's nothing in it).

Old 01-10-2017, 06:35 AM

51,225 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongAndLow;46771761[B
]I'm curious why the OP was ok with the couple bringing apple pie and ice cream, but furious that they brought soup[/b]. If you asked them to bring dessert, or when they asked what they could bring you responded "dessert," then I could see why they wouldn't think twice about also bringing soup. I would see it as we're all contributing to the meal.

If you asked them not to bring anything, I still don't understand why you were ok with the apple pie. It does make it seem like you are more upset that your husband ate more of their soup than yours.
It appears OP was upset because her husband chose their soup over hers. I do understand, she was proud of herself and wanted her husband to be as well, however I do think from many of the posts that OP didn't really like this person even before the dinner. I really don't think she meant any harm in bringing the soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships