Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,959,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
One additional note is that this guest complained of having a sensitive stomach (which may be why she brought the watery chicken soup???) but I noticed she was able to drink almost a whole bottle of wine, eat several chocolates as well as apple pie and ice cream.

This is a person who, imo, is just trying to be petty and difficult.

As I said before, lesson learned, we'll meet in restaurants from now on and let the waiter/kitchen staff work with her.

Try not to be like this people and teach your children manners too...
Oh come on now. How on earth were you able to be a proper hostess if you were so busy taking an inventory of all of the things one guest consumed? I think you just committed a greater faux pas than the watery soup bringer.

Seriously, pll... just invite people that you like next time.
If you really liked this person, I don't think you'd be talking about the person this way, and the whole soup thing would have been a non-issue. Or since it's family and you feel obligated, then complain about the real reasons you guys clash. Complaining about soup is making it very confusing for us non-etiquette types. I'm sitting here wondering how many times I've been unintentionally rude by bringing food items to food parties.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:28 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,324,026 times
They were probably being nice and thinking that they didn't want to show up empty handed.

I never get offended when people show up to my house with any kind of food. Perhaps you're a bit uptight with these special soups, eh?

Even your spouse thought their soup was better .

Old 01-09-2017, 10:38 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,470,664 times
Quote:
One additional note is that this guest complained of having a sensitive stomach (which may be why she brought the watery chicken soup???) but I noticed she was able to drink almost a whole bottle of wine, eat several chocolates as well as apple pie and ice cream.

As I said before, lesson learned, we'll meet in restaurants from now on and let the waiter/kitchen staff work with her.

Sounds more like she and/or her family members do not like the soups you served.

Where she went wrong with that imo is that she should have just been honest up front. At that point, she could have cleared bringing her own soup, you could have switched to a soup they would eat, or suggested you go to a restaurant where everyone can eat what they want.

I get it that picky, particular, or sensitive eaters can be frustrating when you are trying to put a meal together that everyone can enjoy, especially if you have none of those issues with food, but who wants to serve people food they don't want or cant eat either?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,103,783 times
Quote:

My husband can drink wine,eat pie and chocolates but anything creamy and it kills his stomach. If we went somewhere and all they had was clam chowder, we'd definitely have to stop somewhere on our way home as he wouldn't be able to eat there.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,207,443 times
Quote:

Nothing here improves your argument. You're just determined to keep digging the hole.

Petty and difficult?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:56 AM

51,099 posts, read 36,813,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
"Sensitive stomach" could be code for "my stomach can't handle your lousy cooking, but I have to come to this gathering to keep family peace, so I'm going to contribute some food that I can actually eat."

If you read the OP though, it doesn't say anywhere that the guests ONLY ate their soup and didn't eat their hosts's food at all. All it says is they brought soup and her husband had some instead of hers and she was upset by that. Maybe we need clarification, because I still think OP is trying to make it sound worse than it was, frankly.

All we know is they brought soup and shared it with the group.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,244,974 times
Quote:
No dietary restrictions involved.. Plus if it was the case would one night partaking destroy them? Are we that delicate that we can't be polite and partake?

Have I loved every meal I was served at dinner parties? Absolutely not! But I'd never stoop so low as to bring my own meal. Anymore it seems like a hostess is running a restaurant when having dinner parties with all peoples petty dietary needs.

Lesson learned and it's best to meet in restaurants anymore.
I stopped and had to post at this. This is SO ignorant. No, some people CANNOT put aside dietary restrictions. I have Celiac Disease and a severe cow's milk allergy. If I was to "be polite and partake" for one night, I open myself up to many serious health issues. Personally, I do however make this known to new people in my life (people who are close to me know, expect me to have already eaten OR bring my own food OR they are kind enough to have food for me, although I NEVER expect that.)

Additionally--and I apologize if there was more, I do plan to finish reading this post--SOUP (as delicious as it can be) does not make a dinner party. At all.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 AM

13,726 posts, read 12,513,325 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever invited family over dinner and they brought their own food? They weren't asked in advance either.

I had never had this happen to me and I'd never think of doing it either. I make some wonderful soup (broth based such as Chicken noodle, minestrone for example). However for this particular dish, a cream based soup is needed because it was placed in sourdough bread bowls and it would not absorb the all the broth. We served Clam Chowder and Tomato Bisque Soup in Bread Bowls which is traditionally served in bread bowls.

I was insulted when they walked in with their pot of soup...Then my spouse chose to eat theirs too!

It was funny when I looked over and ALL the water was absorbed in the bowl and all that was left was carrots, potatoes, and chicken chunks..

I would encourage people not to do this. It's very insulting to the host or hostess.
My first thought is either a seafood or lactose allergy. The heavy creams can really send some people for a bad time. It sounds delicious though, tomato bisque in a bread bowl.

I don't like the salmon that my in laws like to prepare (overcooked, don't care for the glaze), but I eat it. However, if someone has a shellfish allergy, that's a different can of worms.

While some people think its mental, I have seen throats close and lips swell and it isn't pretty. I used to be a bit more flippant towards people that deal with that, but then I had an allergy attack where my throat closed.

As a host, you shouldn't have to bend over backwards to accommodate everyone's personal dietary restrictions, but if you're only serving cream based soup or you're serving shellfish, you need to understand that those can cause problems for some people.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
They were probably being nice and thinking that they didn't want to show up empty handed.

I never get offended when people show up to my house with any kind of food. Perhaps you're a bit uptight with these special soups, eh?

Even your spouse thought their soup was better .
I dunno...I would just be flustered...wanting everything to be "perfect" when it really can't be but trying to make their soup work in the special soup bowls I'd gotten and planned my own soup around, etc. I'm not a good, easy going hostess like that which is why I rarely try! So yes, maybe meeting at a restaurant really is best....

Old 01-09-2017, 12:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,468,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
SOUP (as delicious as it can be) does not make a dinner party.
Yeah, it's just soup.

And to offer clam chowder and tomato bisque -- two soups lots of people can't eat -- wasn't very accommodating to begin with.

But at least neither soup had boiled eggs floating in it! (The Birdcage, anyone?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships