Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 05:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Love this! You only did what many have fantasies about and are too PC to indulge and want to keep their jobs.

But how about not degrading the woman who had worked very hard to prepare the buffet? PC is one thing but rudeness is quite another! And one's boss deserves to be treated with respect, even if he or his wife is not liked or admired.

It sounds like the poster's example happened a long time ago and he would not do that now. But many people today have lost their manners, if they ever had any. Having a civil society is one measure of a nation. Sadly, our national demeanor has dropped to unbelievable lows.

Last edited by staywarm2; 01-09-2017 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
I am vegetarian and if the host of the dinner party had not had anything I could eat before I would have to bring something for myself. Also, yes, it could destroy someone to eat something foreign to them just to be polite.
Okay...but seriously? Out of an entire meal there was not a salad, or a side dish or potatoes, or rice or bread or dessert that you could eat? I'm not saying you could eat everything - just as I wouldn't eat everything either! There are very few meals I've been served where there were ONLY meat dishes or there was a meat component in all the dishes.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I haven't read all the pages, but this is how this SHOULD have gone:

Hostess: We'd love to have you all to dinner. I'm planning on serving x, y, and z.
Guest: That sounds great. What can I bring?
Hostess: If you could bring dessert (or a salad or side dish or whatever), that would be great.

Problem solved.

Alternatively,

Hostess: We'd love to have you all to dinner. I'm planning on serving x, y, and z.
Guest: That sounds wonderful. Thanks for thinking of us. We would love to come, but there's one issue. I am allergic to X/on a special diet/whatever the issue may be. I'd be happy to bring my own entrée so that you don't have to change plans based on me.
Hostess: That sounds great. Thanks for being upfront. I'll make a note of your restriction for the next time we get together.

Communication; it's a wonderful thing!

ETA: If we are good enough friends, I feel comfortable saying "Do you mind bringing a salad?" I've never had anyone be offended at that. People generally seem happy to contribute in some way. I wouldn't ask that of a new friend or acquaintance.

Last edited by CMMom; 01-09-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I haven't read all the pages, but this is how this SHOULD have gone:

Guest: That sounds great. What can I bring?
Hostess: If you could bring dessert (or a salad or side dish or whatever), that would be great.

Problem solved.

Alternatively,

Guest: That sounds wonderful. Thanks for thinking of us. We would love to come, but there's one issue. I am allergic to X/on a special diet/whatever the issue may be. I'd be happy to bring my own entrée so that you don't have to change plans based on me.
Hostess: That sounds great. Thanks for being upfront. I'll make a note of your restriction for the next time we get together.

Communication; it's a wonderful thing!

ETA: If we are good enough friends, I feel comfortable saying "Do you mind bringing a salad?" I've never had anyone be offended at that. People generally seem happy to contribute in some way. I wouldn't ask that of a new friend or acquaintance.
We don't give out our planned menu unless we are serving shellfish, then we ask if they like it or are allergic. A dinner party is a lot of work and many people don't want to entertain that way anymore because of all the people who require special foods.

Of course, shrimp with peanut sauce is a BIG no-no! LOL...

(Before all the allergic types jump on me, please know that as I posted earlier, I am allergic to wheat and deal with it by quietly abstaining from bread, pasta, etc.)

Last edited by staywarm2; 01-09-2017 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Okay...but seriously? Out of an entire meal there was not a salad, or a side dish or potatoes, or rice or bread or dessert that you could eat? I'm not saying you could eat everything - just as I wouldn't eat everything either! There are very few meals I've been served where there were ONLY meat dishes or there was a meat component in all the dishes.
I am a vegetarian, and that's how I think. There has to be some kind of bread or a salad or vegetables or cheese. There's always something to eat.

I will occasionally eat fish. I did that recently when I went to the holiday party for my new job. The owners are Hasidic and the dinner was at a kosher steakhouse, so I knew there wouldn't be any sort of dairy alternative. They had salmon on the menu, so I had that. I know I am rationalizing in my little peabrain but I don't see a fish suffering like a cow does. Or so I tell myself when necessary!

Old 01-09-2017, 06:41 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I keep thinking about Seinfeld's soup nazi.

SOUP NAZI: You are the only one who understands me.

KRAMER: You suffer for your soup.

SOUP NAZI: Yes. That is right.

KRAMER: You demand perfection from yourself, from your soup.

SOUP NAZI: How can I tolerate any less from my customer?

Or dinner guest? Ha! Seinfeld never gets old.
Beat me to it

Old 01-09-2017, 06:43 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We don't give out our planned menu unless we are serving shellfish, then we ask if they like it or are allergic. A dinner party is a lot of work and many people don't want to entertain that way anymore because of all the people who require special foods.

(Before all the allergic types jump on me, please know that as I posted earlier, I am allergic to wheat and deal with it by quietly abstaining from bread, pasta, etc.)
My mom is allergic to all fish, not just shellfish. She broke out in hives and had difficulty breathing after a swordfish dinner years ago, and she got tested and found out she has a fish allergy. Prior to that, she had quit eating tuna because it gave her headaches and digestion problems. The swordfish brought it on full-fledged.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Ditto for me - I would have turned down the invitation if there was only soup in bread bowls for dinner. I have hypoglycemia and need some protein at every meal.
True. A meal without a good portion of protein is unhealthy for some, and could provoke a crisis.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

Why such secrecy? You don't ever say, "We'd like to have you over. We're grilling burgers/cooking barbecue/fixing steaks or whatever?"

If it was a real multi-course dinner party, I might not rattle off every single course, but OP could have said, "I'm planning on fixing chowder. Come on over!"

Old 01-09-2017, 09:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True. A meal without a good portion of protein is unhealthy for some, and could provoke a crisis.

Sorry I just don't believe that one meal without protein could provoke a crisis. Can you provide scientific evidence of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.