Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 02:26 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
IDK. Bringing the same item (soup) as the OP was serving sounds like a competition to me. She could have brought a cheese tray or other side dish if she wasn't trying to upstage the hostess. If she wanted to bring soup, she should have called the OP And asked about it.
I agree with you completely. I spoke with a family member regarding this situation who felt this particulate relative is known to be very competitive.

She asked in advance to bring something and we suggested dessert would be fine.

Oh, did I mention that she wanted to bring her two dogs as well? Thankfully, she texted us before arriving and we said no. Last time she did and her dog urinated on our carpet...twice.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Yep. This definitely has more to do with the OP's general dislike for this person than their dinner contribution.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post

Oh, did I mention that she wanted to bring her two dogs as well? Thankfully, she texted us before arriving and we said no. Last time she did and her dog urinated on our carpet...twice.
This just keeps getting better and better!

Old 01-10-2017, 03:07 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
I agree with you completely. I spoke with a family member regarding this situation who felt this particulate relative is known to be very competitive.

She asked in advance to bring something and we suggested dessert would be fine.

If that's the case, that she was assigned and agreed to bring dessert, then that's unacceptable on her part to bring soup. Not so much because a choice of three soups is a bad thing---but because you were counting on her bringing dessert and then she arrived empty-handed (in terms of the promised dessert). So what did you do for dessert?

And the dog thing is crazy. When she goes to a doctor's office, does she bring the two dogs? When she goes shopping? To the movies? They can't be left alone for a couple of hours?

Old 01-10-2017, 03:08 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yep. This definitely has more to do with the OP's general dislike for this person than their dinner contribution.
Not really. I'm just allergic to rudness. There are some really nice qualities to this person.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
If that's the case, that she was assigned and agreed to bring dessert, then that's unacceptable on her part to bring soup. Not so much because a choice of three soups is a bad thing---but because you were counting on her bringing dessert and then she arrived empty-handed (in terms of the promised dessert). So what did you do for dessert?
They did NOT come empty-handed at all!

Quote:
They brought apple pie, ice cream and whip cream.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
When I was growing up it was considered polite to share among family members. Not so much friend-dinners, but certainly for family dinners, while it wasn't actually REQUIRED, it was considered nice to bring something. Rolls, or a dessert, or ... dare I say it ... soup.

There is nothing inherently "insulting" about it. You are only determined to see it that way. And your husband did the polite thing by sharing in the dish that was brought.

Zip your lip and suck it up. There's not a thing wrong except your attitude. You are far too inflexible if you have to have things "just so" and can't tolerate the generosity of others. Sometimes generosity isn't about giving a THING, but generosity of SPIRIT.

It is generosity of spirit that is lacking in your post.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 01-10-2017 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think it's both. Someone who brings two dogs and lets them pee in the house and also tries to upstage the hostess' cooking is a real jerk. If I were the OP, that jerk would never set foot (or paw) in my house again.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Not really. I'm just allergic to rudness. There are some really nice qualities to this person.
Then it's time to get over it.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
The cream based soups traditionally do better in sourdough bread bowls which are very popular in the city where I live.

Chicken broth/water based soups get absorbed by the bread and all that's left is soggy bread and the ingredients of the soup are just laying at the bottom of the (w/o liquid) bread bowl. I offered a soup (glass) bowl but she preferred a bread bowl.

I agree with you that it is more about the people which is why I was shocked that she had to bring her own meal and didn't come with the same intention of enjoying a family gathering.
What indicates that she "didn't come with the same intention of enjoying a family gathering?" That seems to be a product of someone's wild imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.