Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Are you a vegan also?
About 98% of the time, yes. I was super-strict vegan for 26 years, but at this point I'm fine with having some eggs once in a blue moon, or a nibble of meat if I'm a guest in someone's home and there is nothing else I can eat.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Considering she indicated she would eat a piece of meat, I'd say it's doubtful she's even a vegetarian, let alone a vegan. What difference would that make anyway?
Vegetarians and vegans each have their own degree of adherence, especially when it comes to social situations. Would I willing cook myself a meat dish or order it in a restaurant? No. Would I take one for the team rather than insult my host? Yes. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Vegetarians and vegans each have their own degree of adherence, especially when it comes to social situations. Would I willing cook myself a meat dish or order it in a restaurant? No. Would I take one for the team rather than insult my host? Yes. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often.
Good to know. The vegans I know are particularly strident because for them it's an issue of ethics rather than preference, whereas I do know some vegetarians who dont eat meat due to health or taste preferences so are more likely to eat meat occasionally. I've never run into a "most of the time" vegan. Learn something new every day.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
No dietary restrictions involved.. Plus if it was the case would one night partaking destroy them? Are we that delicate that we can't be polite and partake?

Yes, actually it would. My nephew is extremely allergic to shellfish to the point if french fries are cooked in the same oil he will end up in the hospital. I have a neighbor who has a variety of illnesses that require she be gluten free among other things otherwise she too will end up in the hospital. It's not a case of being delicate, however, the person should have mentioned to you that she/he would bring their own soup because of restrictions but that your company was too important not to miss out.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
But the restriction can be communicated to the hostess so she can cook a meal that ALL guests can eat instead of preparing food some/none will eat and be out the expense.

This guest was rude. She should've talked to the hostess.
I wasn't fully replying to the guest being rude or not. I was pointing out that her saying people can ignore allergies was ignorant. Additionally, I also said I had not read the full post at that point. Lastly, OP stated this was family-literally everyone in my own immediate family (which is sounds like this person is, to OP) knows all of our dietary restrictions (ALLERGIES) as we value each other. While that may not be the case for all families, it was how I--and my friends--were raised. However, I do not disagree that she should have said something (which, I also stated should have been done.

Please make sure you read everything in context.

We also do not know the full extent--as others have said.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
IDK. Bringing the same item (soup) as the OP was serving sounds like a competition to me. She could have brought a cheese tray or other side dish if she wasn't trying to upstage the hostess. If she wanted to bring soup, she should have called the OP And asked about it.
And it doesn't to me. It was "soup night" so she brought a soup. And a completely different kind of soup at that.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're assuming. It's possible that it's not the case, and that's why the guest brought something else.

Before anyone jumps me ... no, I'm not justifying, just offering a possible explanation.
When I read the other items that were available, I got the impression she was cleaning out her pantry. Edamame? With clam chowder and tomato bisque?

Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
I'd rather give my food to "the poor children in China."
Charity begins at home.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:15 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
When I read the other items that were available, I got the impression she was cleaning out her pantry. Edamame? With clam chowder and tomato bisque?
Yeah, it struck me as an odd menu too. I mentioned very early in the thread that I can understand when a host puts effort into creating a menu that is complimentary and balanced that they wouldn't want random dishes just thrown in. I don't get that with this menu. It's kind of a hodge-podge to begin with, so what's the big deal over an added dish?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
IDK. Bringing the same item (soup) as the OP was serving sounds like a competition to me. She could have brought a cheese tray or other side dish if she wasn't trying to upstage the hostess. If she wanted to bring soup, she should have called the OP And asked about it.
Sure, possibly. Depending on the family dynamic. Who knows?

Even so, doesn't seem like that big of a deal...Unless perhaps the guest swept in and sang the praises of her glorious soup, forced everyone to try some, and then demanded their opinion as to which soup was superior. But that's not what the OP described
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships