Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,405,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I'm still not getting what the dire insult is---the compliment is that the guest in OP wanted the company of the host. It wasn't just a free meal she was after or a perfectly planned and executed meal. It is not an insult, even if OP was a world-renowned chef. I think it may have been Brigham Young who said:

“He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.”
I think ABSOLUTELY that a world renowned chef would take great offense if someone brought their own food to his dinner!!! (Great chefs don't cater to vegans, vegetarians, people with food preferences or intolerances or allergies). They are into cooking fabulous food!

And to not take offense when offense IS INTENDED is self-deprecating to the extreme.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:04 PM

51,228 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The shadow doesn't say anywhere in his/her post that he explained to the host that he couldn't eat cheese. Perhaps he was a little aggressive in his determination to attend and to have what he wanted to eat. Just because someone has an allergy or food intolerance, it doesn't give them the right to change the menu or to bring their own food. They should simply decline the invitation. It's the polite thing to do.
That's crazy...I would much rather my niece bring something her child can eat then simply not come. Why in earth should they have to decline invitations with their own family (as is the case with OP) due to this?

OP has complained about this person aside from the soup...I'm in agreement with those who say OP just doesn't like this person but had to invite her, so was looking for a reason to be offended. I mean, why add that the soup was watery and awful etc? Sounds like she really wants to pound down this woman and is determined to.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM

70 posts, read 99,214 times
Quote:
...(Great chefs don't cater to vegans, vegetarians, people with food preferences or intolerances or allergies). They are into cooking fabulous food!
That is a load of crap. I've been to many fine dining restaurants, and have almost always been asked about allergies, or it is notated on the menu. I often see chef's tasting menus offered in a vegetarian version as well.

Great chef's are into cooking fabulous food, not in killing their guests. You seriously think chef's are offended to find out someone has a shellfish allergy?

Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM

4,081 posts, read 2,167,229 times
Quote:
I think ABSOLUTELY that a world renowned chef would take great offense if someone brought their own food to his dinner!!! (Great chefs don't cater to vegans, vegetarians, people with food preferences or intolerances or allergies). They are into cooking fabulous food!

And to not take offense when offense IS INTENDED is self-deprecating to the extreme.
While it is true that the famous, chefs don't cater to vegans, a la Anthony Bourdain, I don't agree that "cooking fabulous food" would exclude vegan or gluten-free food or any other category. I cook and eat some fabulous food. People like Anthony Bourdain are temperamental, egotistical showmen. Most of us haven't even eaten their food, so we don't even know how fabulous it is or whether we could identify the world-renowned chef's cooking in a blind taste (wasn't there a TV show contest that pitted home cooks against professional chefs? Not that you can believe everything on reality TV/game shows, but often the home chefs cooking was preferred).

And the taking offense doesn't mean that you don't recognize that the other person meant to insult/offend you. I interpret more like what is said about forgiveness---it's not that you will forget or even that you have to continue to associate with the other person---it's just that you move on from the anger....for your sake, not the other person's (although of course it makes for a better world all around with less anger being expressed and maybe eventually, felt).

Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,405,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongAndLow View Post
That is a load of crap. I've been to many fine dining restaurants, and have almost always been asked about allergies, or it is notated on the menu. I often see chef's tasting menus offered in a vegetarian version as well.

Great chef's are into cooking fabulous food, not in killing their guests. You seriously think chef's are offended to find out someone has a shellfish allergy?
We have been discussing diinner parties at someone's home, NOT restaurants which offer gluten-free, etc. Do you seriously think a world-renowned chef would take kindly to some guest bringing their own food to his home? Get real!

Old 01-11-2017, 04:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,530,661 times
Quote:
We have been discussing diinner parties at someone's home, NOT restaurants which offer gluten-free, etc. Do you seriously think a world-renowned chef would take kindly to some guest bringing their own food to his home? Get real!
I think we can stop calling this a "dinner party". The OP had family over for soup. Nothing wrong with that. I enjpy soup as well as family get togethers. But I would never describe it as a dinner party.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,262,128 times
Quote:
The shadow doesn't say anywhere in his/her post that he explained to the host that he couldn't eat cheese. Perhaps he was a little aggressive in his determination to attend and to have what he wanted to eat. Just because someone has an allergy or food intolerance, it doesn't give them the right to change the menu or to bring their own food. They should simply decline the invitation. It's the polite thing to do.
I don't know about it being the polite thing to do; as a host, my feelings would be quite hurt if someone declined a dinner invite because of the menu. I am more than happy to either prepare something they can have, or plan on them bringing a dish if they'd prefer. That may not be what "great chefs" do, but it sure is what good hosts do. Just this past Christmas, I made all of the desserts diabetic-friendly because my mother-in-law was recently diagnosed; I'd be crushed if she either stayed home or had to sit there watching everyone else enjoy dessert while she can't.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,930,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Just this past Christmas, I made all of the desserts diabetic-friendly because my mother-in-law was recently diagnosed; I'd be crushed if she either stayed home or had to sit there watching everyone else enjoy dessert while she can't.
What did you serve?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,530,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I don't know about it being the polite thing to do; as a host, my feelings would be quite hurt if someone declined a dinner invite because of the menu. I am more than happy to either prepare something they can have, or plan on them bringing a dish if they'd prefer. That may not be what "great chefs" do, but it sure is what good hosts do. Just this past Christmas, I made all of the desserts diabetic-friendly because my mother-in-law was recently diagnosed; I'd be crushed if she either stayed home or had to sit there watching everyone else enjoy dessert while she can't.

Yes, when entertaining in my home, it's about the people. The food can be adjusted.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,262,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What did you serve?
"Sugar" cookies made with almond flour and Splenda, sugar-free flourless chocolate cake, and canoli parfait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships