Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenzilKelly View Post
For one Christmas , my brother bought me a six pack of Pepsi cans
I would have much preferred that to the stupid present my gf got me one year.
It was a paperweight with a butterfly in it.
No meaning to the butterfly.
I didn't use paperweights for anything. I was in high school for g's sake.
Based on her other stupid, thoughtless gifts, I figure it was just something she had around or a random buy.

Maybe bc I like to put a lot of thought into my gifts (to anyone), but I have noticed that the less thoughtful people are about presents, the less thoughtful they are about everything in general. This has especially held true for romantic partners for me and also friends. My brother is pretty self-absorbed and unless you give him a wish-list, he'd never be able to think of anything good to give you. Or you get nothing (like my last 2 birthdays).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My brother, despite bragging about how much money he has, buys the worst gifts. He gave my Nephew a used book. He gave me a old kitchen scale. We used to draw names for presents, and everybody would worry that he would be the one that chose us.
My aunt (who owns real estate all over California and used to have her own chain of clothing stores) would pick out an outfit from her store (usually a matchy-matchy fugly as hell sweater-skirt set) and give that to me for my birthday.
Despite the fact that I never wore skirts or cutesy sweaters (and we visited enough that she should have known this) and it was never the right weather for a sweater (literally never cold enough for a real sweater).
And I have to tell you...every single time...it was like the UGLIEST colors or some total weirdo pattern...one time the outfit was hairy. I kid you not. It was hairy. Like it was supposed to be hairy. I don't even understand.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,544 times
Oh, boy, I'll never forget the Christmas my boyfriend of 4 years (now my husband) and I exchanged gifts. I bought him several things to use in the restoring of his old car, had hunted for weeks on Ebay and in antique stores. He was thrilled and gave me a few gifts and then handed me a small box. A small box wrapped in silver paper with a tiny red bow placed on top...I imagine you can see where this is going.

My heart was going crazy when he handed it to me and said, "Little box!" I just squeaked out, "Little box?" He saw my face and quickly said, "Oh, no, not that type of box!"

It was eye cream. The man bought me eye cream.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM

287 posts, read 237,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
When my sister got married, my grandma's wedding gift to her was a laundry basket full of canned food. Although it might be considered a bizarre but practical gift, there was one huge problem: all 60 cans had the labels ripped off...

This is a traditional gift given to newlyweds, housewarming gifts, and the like. It is meant as a joke but with a sort of practicality to it. I had never heard of dog/cat food given, it is all supposed to be stuff they wouldn't mind eating.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM

287 posts, read 237,366 times
The worst gift I have received was $6 cologne from the gas station on Xmas from a cousin when we used to draw names and he had me. How do I know it was from there? Because I went for a beer run that day, and seen it at the gas station a few blocks from the xmas party. He obviously forgot and grabbed it from there.

But, the worst gift I have witnessed, is my dad gave my mom those joke lottery tickets that you scratch off and it showed she won $100,000. My sibling was going through a hard time financially and mom was so happy that she would be able to help them. He let her think she won for almost an hour before he told her to read the fine print. No one laughed and she was so hurt.

Another one was me and my siblings draw names with each other for Xmas and one year my brother (who is known as cheap) bought my sister a Chicago Bears hoodie. Well, she's not a Bears fan, but he is. She tries it on and it's too big. Oh well, he says, he'll have to take it back. In the meantime, it's cold, so he may as well wear it. Yeah, that was 4 years ago. He still wears the hoodie he bought for himself as a present for her!

Old 02-13-2017, 10:31 AM

505 posts, read 584,782 times
It wasn't the gift itself, but it was what happened afterwards...

A friend gave me the DVD, The Secret. After I received it in the mail, I called to thank him and told him I'd seen it. He said, "Well since you've already seen it, would you please send it back to me?" Now I was the one out $7 shipping it back for a gift I never asked for! Not that the price mattered, it was his tacky attitude.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
The worst gift I have received was $6 cologne from the gas station on Xmas from a cousin when we used to draw names and he had me. How do I know it was from there? Because I went for a beer run that day, and seen it at the gas station a few blocks from the xmas party. He obviously forgot and grabbed it from there.

But, the worst gift I have witnessed, is my dad gave my mom those joke lottery tickets that you scratch off and it showed she won $100,000. My sibling was going through a hard time financially and mom was so happy that she would be able to help them. He let her think she won for almost an hour before he told her to read the fine print. No one laughed and she was so hurt.

Another one was me and my siblings draw names with each other for Xmas and one year my brother (who is known as cheap) bought my sister a Chicago Bears hoodie. Well, she's not a Bears fan, but he is. She tries it on and it's too big. Oh well, he says, he'll have to take it back. In the meantime, it's cold, so he may as well wear it. Yeah, that was 4 years ago. He still wears the hoodie he bought for himself as a present for her!
A joke like that is only funny if you tell the person right away. To not tell her for a whole hour, especially when she is already talking to other people about sharing the money, is mean and cruel.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:23 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
This is a traditional gift given to newlyweds, housewarming gifts, and the like. It is meant as a joke but with a sort of practicality to it. I had never heard of dog/cat food given, it is all supposed to be stuff they wouldn't mind eating.
Must be regional. If I received that the next time I saw them I would say that I had to throw the cans away because all of the labels fell off.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:26 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A joke like that is only funny if you tell the person right away. To not tell her for a whole hour, especially when she is already talking to other people about sharing the money, is mean and cruel.
Yep. $100,000 is a lot to most people. I would never give anyone a "gift" like that in the first place. What was that guy thinking? I tend to err on the lavish side when giving gifts because I hate to disappoint people.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
At my baby shower I was given a crumb catcher by a elderly woman that looked like it was something she never used when her children were babies. The plastic covering was yellowed with age. I thanked her and even sent her a card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships