Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

I have RBF and tend to be in thought all the time. I make an effort, when I feel it's needed, to relax my face and smile more. It reflects who I am better, though I have both!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 05:51 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,727 times
How a person dresses, on it's own, is usually not much of an issue if it suits the situation and doesn't stand out overmuch or appear eccentric or pretentious. For example, if one works in a casual place where everybody wears jeans and tees and one person always dresses to the nines right out of Vogue or GQ, they're going to draw attention but not in the way they want. If you show up at a barbecue picnic dressed that way, similar response. (If you dress a notch above everybody else, but also happen to have significant B.O., they're not looking at you in admiration. )

If the person dresses appropriately, within the context of their environment, but is quiet, those things alone don't automatically make them appear arrogant. I have known quiet people who dress well and when someone is speaking to or around them, they make eye contact, appear attentive, smile appropriately and respond agreeably (even if in a few words) when someone addresses them. They generally just appear on the shy or quiet side.

A person who doesn't do those things, for whatever reason, is more likely to be seen as arrogant. If the person looks away when they pass someone, generally avoids eye contact, doesn't smile genuinely (even a little bit), doesn't respond verbally or reasonably pleasantly/kindly, THAT is usually the one that is seen as arrogant, conceited, unfriendly. Add a dressier wardrobe to that set of behaviors and it's just another element that makes the person look pretentious or too full of themself. Working on responding to the social cues from others in a more polite way, will help that person be seen less negatively.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM

403 posts, read 364,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's often another element at play. Like "resting *itch face," for example.

Quiet and RBF can be quite off-putting and can come off as arrogant, regardless of how someone is dressed.
YES, lol. I used to be way more quiet back in the day and get mistaken for a ***** all the time

Old 02-19-2017, 08:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
( As i sit here trying to configure my face and trying to pull a RBF to help describe it.. ) Nope sorry can't help LMAO

No seriously though I think it's just a stereotypical arrogant look ( i.e. Nose up in the air, raised eyebrows etc ) I'm not too familiar as we don't really use the term this side of the pond but remember it came up before on here and I asked the very same question as you young lady!
As I understand RBF, it can be any face that, usually, a woman makes or displays that is not a welcoming smile. I really, really resent this characterization!

I am one of the unfortunates who has a naturally turned down mouth. I do make an effort to look pleasant, but I don't like being characterized this way. I think it is ageist and sexist, frankly. Who are you to say that my, or anyone else's face, is an *itch face?

Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As I understand RBF, it can be any face that, usually, a woman makes or displays that is not a welcoming smile. I really, really resent this characterization!

I am one of the unfortunates who has a naturally turned down mouth. I do make an effort to look pleasant, but I don't like being characterized this way. I think it is ageist and sexist, frankly. Who are you to say that my, or anyone else's face, is an *itch face?
It's definitely not ageist. I've seen young women, even teens, with RBF. To be honest, I think men can have RBF too, but it would probably go by a different name. Resting *ick Face, perhaps?

The simplest definition of RBF is exactly what it says, a face that when at rest, still looks *itchy. Perhaps the term isn't the kindest, but it doesn't change the fact that the resting facial expression is off-putting.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:21 PM

787 posts, read 644,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Why does this fallacious association come across so often ?
Because sheeple are insecure, judgemental, gutless fools. Assumptions are for those too unintelligent and self centered to measure a man on anything other than his true character.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Because sheeple are insecure, judgemental, gutless fools. Assumptions are for those too unintelligent and self centered to measure a man on anything other than his true character.
Naw.

They just don't care. You can't find out why every person is rude to you (maybe they just lost their job), or why someone looks like they just ate a bad pickle.

Chances are you don't care enough to get to the bottom of every bad attitude you run across, same as everyone else.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I wouldn't care.

If dressing nicely and keeping to myself makes me stuck up, oh well. I wouldn't want to be around people who think like that anyway.
This

Old 02-20-2017, 03:03 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Your definition sounds more logical than mine but again it's not a term we use here so I'm not the best judge

It's not ageist or sexist at all though as it really could be valid for any age or gender, but agreed it's unfortunately associated more with women

Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM

8 posts, read 8,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
I preferred being seen as standoffish and unapproachable since that is what I am. Maybe I do bite.

I don't make any effort to smile any more than I make an effort to be more extroverted. Smiling is reserved for when I feel happy. Introverts do make up half of the population so why should we try to act like extroverts by smiling in order to make strangers feel comfortable?
Agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships