Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,293,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:14 PM

10,508 posts, read 7,092,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I stand by every word I posted. Obviously, the ideal situation is to have two parents who are engaged in the raising of a child/children. But, often that's not the case.

I have known kids who were raised by two parents & ended up being lazy bums. And, I knew others who were raised in single-family homes who ended up as hard working members of society.

As far as my "rant" being "incoherent", it's actually easily understandable - to those who have a clear understanding & comprehension of the English language. I've already gotten several reps. on that post, so obviously some people out there have been able to comprehend the point I was making. Sure, you may disagree with what I'm saying - but my point(s) are very clear.

To those others who didn't comprehend what I was writing and found it "incoherent" - go take some English language/comprehension courses. You obviously don't understand the language well enough to be even be reading my posts.
Actually, it is you who has the deficient reading skills. And who gives a damn about how many votes you got? Hell, the Flat Earth Society has 68,000 likes on Facebook, which means that people will agree with any loopy thing.

Did I take single mothers to task or consider them unfit? Hell, no. I mentioned one mother in one specific instance.

Did I say that single mothers as a group were incapable of raising children on their own? Again, hell no.

Nope. You've just dishonestly made up arguments about my posts, injecting whatever baloney you've been through in life. In fact, I defy you to point out anywhere where I said that a single parent de facto leads to a screwed up kid. Show me anywhere where I think that a single parent is, by definition, insufficient to the task. In fact, you acceded to my chief point that a functioning two-parent household is the best way to raise kids.

That being said, I also offered up a source with plenty of factual data on how a fatherless household has much greater likelihood for later issues for the children. This is not opinion, but statistical fact. Does this mean there aren't kids from two-parent households who go off the rails? Of course not. But study after study shows that kids in two-parent households are, on the whole, more well-adjusted and have a far lower likelihood of problems both in their adolescent and adult lives.

In other words, bother reading what other people have to say before venting your spleen. Dude, I'm sorry your dad cut and run. I really am. And I'm sorry to point out truths that open old wounds. But quit dredging up particular instances of other failed fathers to make your case.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 05-15-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM

737 posts, read 455,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
For those of you who have been so kind to respond about my wife's sudden hospitalization, many heartfelt thanks. I am saddened to say that early this morning she passed away. She was greatly loved, not just by me but by her children and mine and many others. At long last she's out of pain and now, comfortably waiting for me. All in God's time!
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
For those of you who have been so kind to respond about my wife's sudden hospitalization, many heartfelt thanks. I am saddened to say that early this morning she passed away. She was greatly loved, not just by me but by her children and mine and many others. At long last she's out of pain and now, comfortably waiting for me. All in God's time!
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know that this must be a terrible blow to you and your family. Peace to her, peace to you, and peace to all those who love her.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:38 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,471,981 times
Quote:
Oh no!!!! I'm so so sorry!

Old 05-15-2017, 01:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,034,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Mother's Day gets all the hype. On my Facebook feed yesterday, everybody had a photo of their mothers. But Father's Day will roll around in another month, and it just won't be the same. Not because people don't love their dads, but because our role isn't as forthright. The lessons we teach are more often by example. Do a good and conscientious job every day. Get up and get your chores done. Respect your wife. Be kind and giving. Do more than you have to. The lessons I teach aren't spoken. They are in what I do.
Tangential, I know, but I never saw this differentiation with my own parents. In other words, my mom was just as influential in teaching me all of these things as my dad.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Tangential, I know, but I never saw this differentiation with my own parents. In other words, my mom was just as influential in teaching me all of these things as my dad.
I don't disagree with you on that. I'm just pointing out that Mother's Day is stressed a lot more than Father's Day. And I'm perfectly cool with that. I have enough neckties as it is.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:58 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,220,420 times
Quote:
My condolences for the loss of your wife.

GOD BLESS!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:35 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,589,834 times
To the OP, I got what you were trying to say immediately. I'm also not surprised at some of the responses. It reminds me of Facebook on Father's Day. If there was ever a day not to do a sampling of Facebook posts, Father's Day is that day. It's pretty bad.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:00 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,898,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
To the OP, I got what you were trying to say immediately. I'm also not surprised at some of the responses. It reminds me of Facebook on Father's Day. If there was ever a day not to do a sampling of Facebook posts, Father's Day is that day. It's pretty bad.
It's sad to me that a thread celebrating something that is a good thing can manage to diverge into negativity. Frankly it's REALLY sad.

I was just thinking out loud about the beauty and how great it is when you see a good decent guy being dedicated to his wife and kids and yet we have all the crap and negativity come in.

I guess this subject can fire off a lot of baggage for some people and yeah I get it, lots and lots of fathers are really just sperm donors at the end of the day. I live in reality I get that, I was just commenting and praising the guys that stick around and do the heavy lifting and take care of business.

I didn't have a strong stable family unit, my parents divorced when I was a baby, my dad wasn't around as much. I had a weird strained relationship with my father, but guess what, through all of my own baggage I'm able to see the men that did it right and I praise them.

I mentioned up thread that minvandriver is the type of guy I thought of when I made this thread and for all of the guys like him. Kudos and keep on keeping on. Much love and respect for them.

I don't think good dads get enough recognition. That really wasn't the point of this thread but I think it's applicable here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships