Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
this is the first house we've ever owned. the neighbors are all older who've lived there for decades. my husband and i are pretty friendly and outgoing. we've gotten to know most everyone. what surprises me is that none of these neighbors seem to talk to each other at all. one family after living there for 25 years moved last weekend. we went over to bring some dessert and say goodbye and they said we were the only one to do so! i was kinda shocked! these people have lived in the same neighborhood for decades, their kids were friends when young and grew up together. but there's no friendships or relationships. is that common?
To be honest that's the same where I am here in central London and apart from a civil "hello " or friendly small talk in passing there's not much else going on.

For a variety of reasons I'm sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I am acquainted with most of my neighbors, we are a subdivision of 131 houses, and we have multiple social media sites to communicate (get togethers, sell stuff, notices, events).

I am not interested in any close friendships or anything, most that socialize with each other have a lot of drama going on.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I am acquainted with most of my neighbors, we are a subdivision of 131 houses, and we have multiple social media sites to communicate (get togethers, sell stuff, notices, events).

I am not interested in any close friendships or anything, most that socialize with each other have a lot of drama going on.
And that's why socializing heavily with neighbors is not a good idea because if things go south then you have to live next to them. All it takes is one thing that someone doesn't agree with and then problems start.

Staying to yourself is the best option but then again some people think quiet people are weird. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I chat, stop and have small talk when walking the dog, etc. But keep it very superficial.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Not really. I use to with some, mostly the ones we have now aren't as social and there's also the age different. I live with my parents due to my income and they live in an active adult community. I am friends with a number of people, including out neighbors to our right, but we just aren't that social of a block.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:05 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Do I talk to my neighbors? Very little, other than the obligatory smile/wave. Here's why:

I bought my first house @ age 25 and I shared a driveway with the neighbors. They were mid 40's Christians, very two-faced and gossipy. Being a scruffy kid ("punk" to them probably), I wasn't on level ground socially and had to play nice. They felt it was their duty to be surrogate parents, being much older and wiser (they were a mess behind the façade, that's another story altogether). I'll never forget how awful those 10 years were. I envied the people who were smart enough to stay off their radar.

When I moved away I swore I'd never let the "camel get it's head in the tent" so to speak, and I haven't.

Last edited by tommy64; 05-23-2017 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 10:26 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
We know all our neighbors and they know us, but we don't socialize much in the neighborhood or throw neighborhood parties. If we're both out working in the yard, there'll be gossip over the hedgerow, but no real hanging out together. We actually seem friendlier to each other when we meet somewhere out side the neighborhood like at the grocery or the local diner.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
I wave and say hi to my neighbors and put on a friendly face, but that's literally the extent of how much I want to interact with them. I didn't just buy a house on a large private corner lot for nothin'!

In my experience neighbors are always more of a pain than any sort of help. Seriously, think about it: What use do you really have for them? Especially with everything at your fingertips these days.

I've always said I'd rather never even have to look at/talk to/deal with a neighbor versus having the world's greatest neighbor right next door that could potentially always be in my face and/or business.

I've been in my new (first) house for about 4 months now, and from what I can tell we have pretty cool people all around us. But I don't care to have any relations with them other than giving a friendly wave or nod once in a while.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
We wave, We say hello. I don't really feel like they are friends. I think I'm in the wrong neighborhood.
I never met the people that live on the other side of the woods. They were killed in some kind of motorcycle or traffic accident. One night they had a big party lasting late in the night. I could hear the music coming through the woods. They were all singing along to Pink Floyd. They must have been cool people.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:41 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've already posted about my neighbors, but my friend's neighborhood is definitely unique.

Cul-de-sac in an upper-middle class neighborhood. Most are in the 30's to 50's age range with kids. Every single neighbor hangs out with each other. Every couple of weeks, they have a block party in the middle of the circle. They drag out BBQ's and firepits and sit and drink and eat and the kids play and hang out.

4th of July, they have a huge block party

In the fall/winter, they usually create a few events equal to "bar-hopping" where they jump from house to house eating different food/drink in a particular theme.

I've pretty much swam in every pool in the neighborhood, as have my kids. Everyone is friendly.

We've socialized away from the neighborhood as well. People watch each others kids. In the winter, they all team up and snowblow one property at a time, and then move onto the next as a team. In the summer, they all help with pool openings and such.

Bday parties...entire neighborhood is invited. Like I said, I don't even live there, but I know all the neighbors very well now and have socialized with them outside of the neighborhood. Friday/Sat nights, it's really a question of who's around to hang out in so-and-so's house.

No drama after 6 years, and everyone in the neighborhood (about 10 houses) is close. I am actually golfing with 3 of the neighbors this weekend. 2 of the neighbors helped me and my wife move into our own house 2 years ago.

Could I live there? Probably not. Like I said before, when I go home, I like to be left alone and have my privacy, but I love their neighborhood (mostly the people) simply because I can leave when I want my space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships