Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree that it's possible the couple decided to hunker down due to personal reasons, and go incommunicado with the world for awhile. In which case, the OP might end up a little embarrassed for calling her work and her husband, to ask if all is ok. But some embarrassment is a small price to pay for checking up on a suddenly-disappeared friend, I think. Some might view that as an intrusion, way overstepping bounds, but you never know these days.

It's entirely possible there's a good explanation for it. Hoping for the best.
Than why not just send a quick text "due to a family situation we are needing some private time, please respect our wishes, thank you"....done. Doesn't have to give any information as to what the issue is.

Serves two purposes, it let's people know you want to be left alone, and you will contact them if and when you want to.

And it stops people trying to reach you and maybe find the police at your doorstep inquiring about your well being.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:39 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What doesn't add up for me is if the friend didn't want anymore contact, friend could have just texted something like "I can't make our meetup".

Deleting FB accounts is an extreme measure to take if all one wants is to end contact. Blocking would have been a better thing to do. Deleting a FB account suggests that the person doesn't want anyone contacting her that way.

IIRC, reading through the thread, it seems that the friend didn't disconnect her phone. Why not? After all, if friend was bound and determined to not have any contact, why not disconnect the phone?

So much just doesn't sit right. OP---I don't think you are being stalkerish. And I agree---her sister may have blocked you because she didn't know who you are. That would have been my first instinct if I got a message from someone I didn't know. For all you know, sister may think that her account got hacked.

Once we had the police do a wellness check on our daughter. When she was much younger, she went off the rails for a time. We hadn't heard from her in quite a while. We called the local police and they checked up on her. Afterwards, they called us to let us know that she was fine.

What's the worst thing that could happen, OP, if you did have the police do a wellness check? To me, the worst thing would be that if your friend and her husband were fine, she would be annoyed at you.
All good points. It's still a mystery. What would you do? Have the police do a check? Or call the general work number, to see if she's been coming into work?

Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than why not just send a quick text "due to a family situation we are needing some private time, please respect our wishes, thank you"....done. Doesn't have to give any information as to what the issue is.

Serves two purposes, it let's people know you want to be left alone, and you will contact them if and when you want to.

And it stops people trying to reach you and maybe find the police at your doorstep inquiring about your well being.
True, true. Even a curt "I have to cancel for Tues., sorry" would have done the trick.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:45 PM

841 posts, read 1,127,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJazzy View Post
I do but since the sister blocked me - I'm going to leave it alone.
Probably best at this point. Hopefully you will eventually find out what happened or at least if she is okay.

I would be hesitant to call police to make a welfare check on somebody who is not a family member and considering what you have already tried to do and her sister blocking you.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 PM

60 posts, read 58,354 times
Quote:
True, true. Even a curt "I have to cancel for Tues., sorry" would have done the trick.
I have no clue what happened to her. Seems a bit extreme to delete accounts just to stop communicating with me.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:02 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,805,437 times
It can't have been you.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:04 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,789,086 times
I wonder if she or her husband got into some legal trouble? I don't think it's anything you did.

Something similar happened with an acquaintance of mine and it turns out she was arrested for fraud.

While it's very frustrating to not know what happened, I agree it's best to let it go at this point.

ETA: They may also have money problems and are trying to hide from debt collectors.

Last edited by Rowan123; 06-29-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 01:23 PM

35,824 posts, read 18,164,828 times
That's exactly what I thought, Rowan. Some kind of legal trouble.

Something has made her shut down. And who knows why the sister blocked you. I guess she's covering for her sister, who is in legal trouble.

I think you'd be right to call her work, and just ask to speak to her. You don't have to say "my friend has gone missing and I wonder if she's at work?" Just say may I speak to Jane Doe, please.

I wouldn't let a friend slip away this easily without showing clearly you care, just as I would hope my friends didn't just ignore it if I went missing.

Heck, I monitor the P.O. Box for an organization - the prior mailbox renter stopped paying but didn't leave a forwarding address and then we began renting that box. Over the 6 years we've had the P.O. Box, I still get mail for her. She vanished, who knows why. We got wedding invitations, personal letters, Christmas cards, and finally notices about impending repossession of cars for non payment, eviction notices for nonpayment, "we've missed you" postcards from her church. I googled her name and was easily able to determine she was a real estate agent and when I called the office she shared they just said they have no idea where she went, she just suddenly was gone. Didn't care beyond that. She had had the same P.O. Box for nearly 10 years, and lived a stable life, from everything I could tell.

God knows what happened to her - I have no idea why no one was concerned. As far as I know, no missing persons report was ever filed.

And it would be sad if that happened to your friend, too.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
Quote:
Exactly, that's fine as well. Some type of communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Probably best at this point. Hopefully you will eventually find out what happened or at least if she is okay.

I would be hesitant to call police to make a welfare check on somebody who is not a family member and considering what you have already tried to do and her sister blocking you.
Well some people have no family or no family in the area and aren't in frequent contact. Something more is going on here, and the OP may never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJazzy View Post
I have no clue what happened to her. Seems a bit extreme to delete accounts just to stop communicating with me.
It's not just you. My guess would be what the poster below wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I wonder if she or her husband got into some legal trouble? I don't think it's anything you did.

Something similar happened with an acquaintance of mine and it turns out she was arrested for fraud.

While it's very frustrating to not know what happened, I agree it's best to let it go at this point.
Most likely.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:32 PM

35,824 posts, read 18,164,828 times
So another thought - among my friends, we've discussed, "if I disappear, please search for me". There should be some kind of form you fill out, and maybe file with your driver license or something, that if you go missing, these ______ people are allowed to search for you. Access to bank account, phone records, etc., if in their opinion you are missing. I'd sign up for that - sometimes when an adult goes missing law enforcement doesn't do anything at all, citing adult privacy.

I wonder how your friend would have felt about such a sign up, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships