Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 05:12 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerofsongs View Post
Okay, so I'm about 1 year out from retiring with my husband who is 9 years older than me. He's pretty close to the age one would retire at while not being too old. Because I'm younger, people who I thought were my "friends" and made the mistake of sharing this bit of information to when the subject was brought up, are now constantly say I'm too "young" to retire. I have now started being asked the following questions:

What am I going to do when I retire?
How could I possibly afford to retire?
Are you leaving the state?
You're not old enough to start receiving your company pension are you?
Are you going to get a part-time job?

You get the jest of where I'm going here......... I am a pretty private person and I like it that way, but I know that because I have formed "work" relationships with co-workers (most of whom I do not socialize with outside of work), people will "naturally" ask many of the above questions and expect some sort of answer.

We are moving to a different state but if I tell most people where, it opens up another can of worms. Like the next question of where in that state are you moving? Sad to say this but I know that most of the people who ask this question will "google" the area to try to figure out our cost of living there, housing, crime rate, etc.

We plan to travel, visit loved ones, take up hobbies and all the other stuff retired people tend to do. And while I don't want to be rude, I don't want to tell people my business either. ESPECIALLY co-workers who I know could care less about me and only want to "gather" information to use against me when talking to others which I can only assume is because they're envious, jealous, or plan irritated that I'm retiring before them (sadly my boss falls in the category).

Because I am a pretty private person and the majority of people I work with know very little about me, with the exception of my immediate circle of co-workers, and they just know the basics...how many kids, how long I've been married, pretty general stuff. Very few know where I live or have been to my home.

I am in a high profile job; meaning I am in contact with a very large group of people who work for the same company and about 70% of the people know who I am and have dealt with me on a professional, yet very friendly level. I am a very outgoing person and I respect the privacy of others and expect the same for myself. I really could use some advice as to how to respond to people, without being rude, but yet set up immediate boundaries that will hopefully make people be respectful and accepting of the fact that I am not a "spill the beans" type of person!

One last thought, I know there will most likely be a going away party given in my honor, so I want to have my answers down by the time I'm faced with the inevitable......
You've gotten some good answers here about what to say, either diplomatically vague, or humorous, so I won't try to add more. I do kind of wonder why you think so many people will care all that much, or be that petty about it if they do. I don't want to be unkind, but your comments make me think that either your work relationships are not as cordial as you claim, or you have an inflated sense of your own importance to these people. Most of them probably aren't going to care that much, other than how your departure will impact their own jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You've gotten some good answers here about what to say, either diplomatically vague, or humorous, so I won't try to add more. I do kind of wonder why you think so many people will care all that much, or be that petty about it if they do. I don't want to be unkind, but your comments make me think that either your work relationships are not as cordial as you claim, or you have an inflated sense of your own importance to these people. Most of them probably aren't going to care that much, other than how your departure will impact their own jobs.
But you are being unkind and judging , presuming and extrapolating based on limited info. Sometimes we just need to figure how how to deflect constant questions.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
But you are being unkind and judging , presuming and extrapolating based on limited info. Sometimes we just need to figure how how to deflect constant questions.
Isn't that what we all do on CD? The OP provided limited data, and asked for advice? Catgirl64 responded, with her interpretation of that data. is your interpretation of the same limited data more correct?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:14 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,333 times
This is no different then what I am dealing with caring for my elderly parents. I know people are curious, concerned, etc. But I constantly get the same questions:

How are you doing?
Are you holding up?Any time you need to talk to someone I am here.
etc etc

When I hear those questions, silently my answer is I'd be doing much better if you didn't keep on asking. So I continue to use the same boiler-plate answer - I'm doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

Human beings by nature pry. They are curious. If the barrage of questions annoy you (as they would me), just concoct a standard answer for all and move on.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
No, I offered my impression. It could well be wrong, although it's been my experience that most people really aren't that obsessed with the departure of a co-worker. Do you really think people are likely to Google this poster's future community? That just seems weird to me, as does worrying about it.

As for deflecting the questions, I get that, and like I said, plenty of good suggestions have been offered.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:05 AM

9,404 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Suggestions:

Are you writing a book? Leave this chapter out and call it a mystery!

This is eyes-only above top secret. If I told you I'd have to kill you.

When and where are you moving to when you retire? C'mon, don't be shy!

The CIA told us to not tell anyone when where what who why how. Any other questions?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:23 AM

30,490 posts, read 16,202,768 times
I'm surprised that, given you're a private person, you haven't gotten the knack of the non-answer answer.

How about: oh, the typical stuff retired people do.

or: I don't know. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Why not just have fun with it?

What am I going to do when I retire? Sit on my duff and stare at the wall all day.

How could I possibly afford to retire? I've already applied for welfare!

Are you leaving the state? Only if law enforcement catches up with me.

You're not old enough to start receiving your company pension are you? Being 85 years old, yes.

Are you going to get a part-time job? Only if it won't affect my welfare check.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Isn't that what we all do on CD? The OP provided limited data, and asked for advice? Catgirl64 responded, with her interpretation of that data. is your interpretation of the same limited data more correct?

I stuck to how to deflect questions not go into character judgement, big difference.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Do you really think people are likely to Google this poster's future community? That just seems weird to me, as does worrying about it.

As for deflecting the questions, I get that, and like I said, plenty of good suggestions have been offered.

Err yes lol, I've had several friends do that because they are wondering if there is a good art community for me, and one friend worried there might be bears and worries about me.. as for nosy parkers I have no clue I don't work with people who pry into my financial situation. Who am I to decide the op is fibbing or not, take it as said and focus on deflecting issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships