Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
nomorobo app
THE BEST I have not gotten one call since installing earlier this year.

OP, do not waste your time answering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times
I just pick up and instantly hang up. I just started doing this, no way to tell yet whether it's effective in getting them to leave me alone. I used to just let it ring and ring and never answer, but then I thought, maybe they genuinely think we're never home or just deliberately ignoring at least, and keep trying (because we tend to see the same #s over and over again). I think that at least hanging up on them before they can even get a word out sends more of a message than not picking up at all or than trying to talk to them. It's more rude, which sends a bigger "#$@! off" message IMO.

A family member likes to answer and screw with them in various ways. I think that's fun but I don't really have the patience (or time honestly) for it.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,233,849 times
I notice an upswing in telemarketer calls whenever my husband gives out our number at a retail store. They just collect your numbers to sell them to marketers. There is no reason a retail store has to get your phone number just because you want to buy something from them. I refuse to give them my number and they are ok with that.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,869,370 times
Do not answer the phone, for every one you answer, you just verified you are an active number and more scammers will use it.

They will eventually stop once you stop answering.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,642,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Or, you know, STOP ANSWERING. OP, why do you answer calls from numbers you don't recognize? If they are calling you in violation of the Do Not Call list, then what they're doing is illegal, but again, they are CRIMINALS, so why would something like the Do Not Call list deter them?

I literally NEVER answer calls from numbers that I don't recognize; if the caller is legitimate, he/she will leave a message and I will call him/her back. My default ringtone is SILENT, which means I don't even hear scam calls (note, friends and family members have their own ringtones, so THEIR calls get through). I would say that 99% of the time when I check my cell phone and see that I got a call from a number I don't know, they don't leave a message AND when I check the number online I see that it's a scammer. So I add them to my F***ING ILLEGAL CALLS "contact" (no asterisks on my phone, though! ), which blocks them altogether. I have used this system for many years and it works great. (Of course, I realize it wouldn't work for, say, parents of kids who might call from a friend's cell phone.)

This is what I do as well.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,607,801 times
I have had a cell phone on and off since the late 90s, and pretty much constantly for the past 10 years, and I have never had a problem with this. I am extremely selective about giving out my number. The only time I've given it to someone I didn't actually know was to apply for a job, and even then, I prefer to use a landline number. My cell phone is for my convenience, and no one else's.

Not everyone has unlimited cell minutes, and it's my opinion that telemarketers who call cell phones should be treated as thieves.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:41 AM

310 posts, read 203,565 times
I like the one I sometimes get--it says they're calling me because I had such a great recent experience at some resort. I've never been to that or any resort in my life.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,069,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Do not answer the phone, for every one you answer, you just verified you are an active number and more scammers will use it..
This!!!

These are bots. Do not speak to 'them.'

Old 12-06-2017, 06:57 AM

604 posts, read 842,696 times
Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I'll try one of those apps. Looks like Robokiller is popular on the App store on my iPhone.

I'll stop answering and keep blocking. Hopefully they'll stop and I won't have to change my phone number.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,167,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Or, you know, STOP ANSWERING. OP, why do you answer calls from numbers you don't recognize? If they are calling you in violation of the Do Not Call list, then what they're doing is illegal, but again, they are CRIMINALS, so why would something like the Do Not Call list deter them?

I literally NEVER answer calls from numbers that I don't recognize; if the caller is legitimate, he/she will leave a message and I will call him/her back. My default ringtone is SILENT, which means I don't even hear scam calls (note, friends and family members have their own ringtones, so THEIR calls get through). I would say that 99% of the time when I check my cell phone and see that I got a call from a number I don't know, they don't leave a message AND when I check the number online I see that it's a scammer. So I add them to my F***ING ILLEGAL CALLS "contact" (no asterisks on my phone, though! ), which blocks them altogether. I have used this system for many years and it works great. (Of course, I realize it wouldn't work for, say, parents of kids who might call from a friend's cell phone.)
This. All this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships