Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:10 PM

604 posts, read 845,380 times

Advertisements

I had no idea where to post this. I've been getting LOTS of calls from telemarketers. I don't have a landline and I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list. So, the telemarketer goes into their spiel and will not let me say a word. I've said over and over "Hello, can you hear me?" and they will not stop talking. When they finally pause and I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register. I'm getting 3-4 calls per day and I don't know how to make them stop. It's crazy. This new breed of telemarketer will not let you say anything at all and acts like they don't hear you. It's really strange. Is anyone else getting these calls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 03:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,449,708 times
I'd rather get telemarketers than door-knockers. I get TONS of door to door salespeople in my area.

But yes, they are both annoying.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,097,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I had no idea where to post this. I've been getting LOTS of calls from telemarketers. I don't have a landline and I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list. So, the telemarketer goes into their spiel and will not let me say a word. I've said over and over "Hello, can you hear me?" and they will not stop talking. When they finally pause and I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register. I'm getting 3-4 calls per day and I don't know how to make them stop. It's crazy. This new breed of telemarketer will not let you say anything at all and acts like they don't hear you. It's really strange. Is anyone else getting these calls?

You might be getting scam calls?

It seems pretty unusual that someone would be trying to sell you something, but not require some kind of response from you.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,780,762 times
I get the calls all the time. I hang up as soon as they start talking and block their number, not that it does much good because they have an endless supply of numbers.

But I doubt it asking them to take you off their list will make any difference.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,896,788 times
The robo-callers seem to be out of control. Have you noticed that if you listen, they will go into an entire pitch that sounds like a friendly marketeer, but, is actually a recording?

On my home line, I simply ignore the callers that show-up on caller ID as only a location. When I do pick one up, it takes about 2-seconds to hear the background noise of a marketing pool - then, I hang-up. We've thought about switching-over entirely to our cell phones because of this annoying growth in robo calls, but, like the better receiption of a landline.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 PM

20,457 posts, read 14,823,090 times
Funny thing. I have a phone number I got many years ago when I lived in another state, and I never bothered to change it when I moved around. I am on somebody's dialer, probably some scammy nonsense, but they keep trying to "trick" me by dialing from a number very similar to my own. But I don't really know hardly anyone in that state now and the few I do, I've got their number. So if it's that area code and a number similar to mine, I never answer.

I've also received calls in the past for local politics of that state or soliciting donations to some police organization in that state and I'm like...yeah, I don't even live there now. So no. Go away.

But if I do answer and get one of those that won't shut up. They trigger my ASMR. It's like a mild hypnotic state I fall into where the words blur together and my scalp tingles and I zone out. I've sat there and just let them babble at me before, eventually hanging up when they finally got to the point where they wanted to get my agreement to something. It's very relaxing.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,207,091 times
Quote:
https://consumerist.com/2017/01/27/i...up-its-a-scam/

As soon as you know it is a telemarketer, don't say a word. Just hang up.

There are plenty of people who will tell you that this is just BS and you cannot be "trapped" into any such thing, but why take the chance and why be bothered by a telemarketer in the first place? Just hang up.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,123,364 times
Quote:
Yes, my parents have gotten calls like this. They said you absolutely can't get a word in because they are not listening to you, they are reading their script and nothing is going to get in the way of that.

The Do Not Call registry obviously doesn't work, as I'm on it, too, and I still get a lot of telemarketers on my cell phone, as well as scams. (I've gotten the IRS scam call at least five times just in the last few months.) I never answer a number I don't recognize and if they leave no voice message then that number is put on the auto reject list. And I get probably two or three auto-rejected calls a day.

It's annoying as hell but I don't know how to put a stop to it.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,707,652 times
Quote:
Your calls are probably generated from overseas. Be careful what you say to them. They have been known to record voices and use them to steal identities. Best thing to do is hang up immediately and not speak at all. I have even started not saying hello but just picking up the telephone, then when the recorded voice starts I hang up. If my husband were not home all calls would be filtered through my answering machine. He really scares me because he loves to play with these people.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:31 PM

604 posts, read 845,380 times
I've blocked a lot of the numbers but they keep calling using different numbers with the same first 3 digits as your number. It's only been in the last 6 months. I never got any telemarketing calls on my cell before that.

After seeing responses here I'm guessing that it's futile to attempt to make them stop. The only way to stop it may be to get a new number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships