Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:51 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times

Advertisements

I feel once I listed my cell phone # on the Do Not Call list, my telemarketer calls increased. I don't answer any numbers I don't recognize. There should be an app that lets you "trash" a number so the call cannot connect to your number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Doesn't seem that hard. When we had a land-line, (but no caller ID), we just never answered the phone and our friends knew this. If we heard a recognizable voice starting to leave a message, we picked up. Otherwise, no.

Why the irresistible compulsion to pick up the phone?

Never had a scam call on the cell and no special blocking features either.
Not everyone is as lucky as you. At worst, we can get the same number calling every single day, sometimes multiple times. It's disruptive and annoying, and IMHO borderline harassment.

I get them on my cell phone just not to the same degree. Now, they care calling from numbers like those in our area, leading us to think it's a doctor's office or something calling, so we may be more inclined to answer. These telemarketers are loser pieces of trash with their tactics. If you have to literally almost harass people, maybe no one wants your services and you should just stop.

Usually when it's my cell (and home phone also), I only answer if it's someone I know. Otherwise, anyone important will leave a voicemail. I don't get enough random calls for it to bother me. And my phone is usually on silent for various reasons, so I don't have to hear the ringing. At home it's a little different, and more frequent.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I had no idea where to post this. I've been getting LOTS of calls from telemarketers. I don't have a landline and I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list. So, the telemarketer goes into their spiel and will not let me say a word. I've said over and over "Hello, can you hear me?" and they will not stop talking. When they finally pause and I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register.
When they let you get a word in edgewise, ask them for their company name, employee number, and the name and phone number of their supervisor. Point out that you are on the Do Not Call list, and they are violating Federal law by calling you.

They'll hang up as usual. But they WON'T call back. A win-win.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Another useful response is to set your cell phone down while they are still talking, and ignore it for 10-15 minutes. When they realize they are wasting a lot of time talking to thin air, with zero chance of making a sale, they will be less likely to call back.

But the supervisor-name-and-phone-number stunt is still the most effective.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:14 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Another useful response is to set your cell phone down while they are still talking, and ignore it for 10-15 minutes. When they realize they are wasting a lot of time talking to thin air, with zero chance of making a sale, they will be less likely to call back.

But the supervisor-name-and-phone-number stunt is still the most effective.
Only if it's a live human being calling. That's becoming more rare as scammers have turned by and large to robos.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
I just don’t answer my phone to numbers I don’t recognize. I sometimes google a missed number to check it wasn’t someone important. If I do pick up a call thinking it may be the doctor or something and it turns out to be a scammer, I block the number so they can’t call back. Once you answer the phone to one of them, the number is marked as ‘live’ in their database and they all start calling you.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Regarding "irresistible compulsion to pick up the phone".

Having elderly parents who are frail and having children in school means I'm going to pick up the phone, every time. Even if I don't know who is calling.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 PM

550 posts, read 498,328 times
I once had an "inside sales" job that turned out to be nothing but a B2B telemarketing job. I lasted under 3 months.

You have to stay on the call a minimum number of seconds to count it towards your daily call volume.

Ours was 15 seconds...you learn to stretch if you are told the person no longer works there....

Some may have longer minimum call lengths.

You force-feed your script so the "prospect" can't interrupt and maybe you will spew something interesting enough to continue the call...which is being recorded.

Some fellow workers where very good at it and did well.

I was not one of them.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
I once had an "inside sales" job that turned out to be nothing but a B2B telemarketing job. I lasted under 3 months.

You have to stay on the call a minimum number of seconds to count it towards your daily call volume.

Ours was 15 seconds...you learn to stretch if you are told the person no longer works there....

Some may have longer minimum call lengths.

You force-feed your script so the "prospect" can't interrupt and maybe you will spew something interesting enough to continue the call...which is being recorded.

Some fellow workers where very good at it and did well.

I was not one of them.
The above is very enlightening! Thanks for posting this information.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM

666 posts, read 643,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
I have discovered two ways to deal with this:

**Two
When I get a landline, voip, or cell phone number for public purposes (business, etc), I'm usually free from harassment for awhile. But when I get pestered by telemarketing calls, I keep a scream alarm device on hand.

If/when I get a telemarketer call, I blast the siren into the microphone of my phone. Then I hang up.

Works every time. I never hear back from those jerks.
Yep I keep one of those marine air horns nearby so I can blast any unwanted callers. Works like a charm. I do admit it's a little awkward when I do it in my office though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships