Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:18 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I had no idea where to post this. I've been getting LOTS of calls from telemarketers. I don't have a landline and I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list. So, the telemarketer goes into their spiel and will not let me say a word. I've said over and over "Hello, can you hear me?" and they will not stop talking. When they finally pause and I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register. I'm getting 3-4 calls per day and I don't know how to make them stop. It's crazy. This new breed of telemarketer will not let you say anything at all and acts like they don't hear you. It's really strange. Is anyone else getting these calls?

I am on the National Do Not Call register.

Ok so JUST because you're on this list Doesn't mean that you will just stop getting calls.What it means is that each company that calls you...YOU need to tell them to put you on THEIR DNC list.That's how it works.
Didn't anyone explain that to you when you had put yourself on that DNC registry??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 08:44 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
I had no idea where to post this. I've been getting LOTS of calls from telemarketers. I don't have a landline and I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list. So, the telemarketer goes into their spiel and will not let me say a word. I've said over and over "Hello, can you hear me?" and they will not stop talking. When they finally pause and I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register. I'm getting 3-4 calls per day and I don't know how to make them stop. It's crazy. This new breed of telemarketer will not let you say anything at all and acts like they don't hear you. It's really strange. Is anyone else getting these calls?
Just hang up. My word, how hard can this be?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:16 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post

Ok so JUST because you're on this list Doesn't mean that you will just stop getting calls.What it means is that each company that calls you...YOU need to tell them to put you on THEIR DNC list.That's how it works.
Um, no, that's definitely NOT how it works. Legitimate callers are supposed to check the registry and NOT call anyone on it (unless they have a prior business relationship with that person, in which case they MAY call until the person explicitly tells them not to -- maybe THAT is what you are thinking of?).

The Do Not Call list actually DOES work well for legitimate callers; the evidence is that the number of "regular" telemarketing calls (e.g., companies cold-calling) has gone WAY down for most people. (I don't think I've received a non-scammer telemarketing call for literally YEARS now, and I used to get them all the time.) The problem is that SCAMMERS, of course, are criminals, so they ignore the Do Not Call list (well, of course they do -- they're scammers!).

Quote:
Didn't anyone explain that to you when you had put yourself on that DNC registry??
Didn't anyone explain it to you? Just go here and check the first page: https://www.donotcall.gov/ , then read here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...-call-registry . Note, companies ARE allowed, I think, one "mistake" call, but I think few LEGITIMATE companies even "use" that.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
<>I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register.<>Is anyone else getting these calls?
There is no effective DNC list. I don't think there ever was one for cellular service. Your opening mistake was to answer the call. That confirms you as a valid number which gives the calling party a salable reference to your number.
Your complaint is what spells the death of voice telephone service. POTS is dead, long live texting.
You may want to ask the moderator to move your post to Telephone Communications or something.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 AM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
Look at the number calling you. If it is not someone you know don't answer. Turn the ringer down or off. If it is someone you know they will leave a message and you can call them back when it is convenient.

Another trigger is you pick up the phone and the robo or TV ad says ATTENTION! So are we supposed to stand at attention like in the military? Click.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I just installed the nomorobo app on my home phone and it works great. A robocall comes in, the phone rings once, and then it's gone. Never a need to answer.

It's also available for iPhones, but not for Android phones yet.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I just installed the nomorobo app on my home phone and it works great. A robocall comes in, the phone rings once, and then it's gone. Never a need to answer.

It's also available for iPhones, but not for Android phones yet.

https://www.nomorobo.com/
Nomorobo is awesome. I have it, too.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
When I had AT&T Uverse I used their system to forward certain numbers (select call forwarding) to the automated weather. I took great joy in knowing the next time that number called they got the local weather report. There was a limit on the amount of numbers so I would rotate them out. After a while, most of these calls stopped. I think this is much more satisfying than using a blocker since it ties up the caller even if it is a recorded call preventing them from calling someone else in the time they figure it out.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:

Nope.

Besides, the DNC list doesn't work with 99% of the robo VOIP calls that ignore all laws anyway. Try "talking" to a robocall to ask to be removed.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Doesn't seem that hard. When we had a land-line, (but no caller ID), we just never answered the phone and our friends knew this. If we heard a recognizable voice starting to leave a message, we picked up. Otherwise, no.

Why the irresistible compulsion to pick up the phone?

Never had a scam call on the cell and no special blocking features either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships