Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,051,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, my parents have gotten calls like this. They said you absolutely can't get a word in because they are not listening to you, they are reading their script and nothing is going to get in the way of that.

The Do Not Call registry obviously doesn't work, as I'm on it, too, and I still get a lot of telemarketers on my cell phone, as well as scams. (I've gotten the IRS scam call at least five times just in the last few months.) I never answer a number I don't recognize and if they leave no voice message then that number is put on the auto reject list. And I get probably two or three auto-rejected calls a day.

It's annoying as hell but I don't know how to put a stop to it.
Well, it may not be worth pursuing, but those calls are actually in violation of a federal law, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and quite possibly state law as well depending upon where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Yep I keep one of those marine air horns nearby so I can blast any unwanted callers. Works like a charm. I do admit it's a little awkward when I do it in my office though.
in my opinion, you people that use 'air horns & buzzers' - that worked back when phone lines were analog. Nowdays, they are digital and it auto-levels the volume input. You cant 'blow a rape whistle' in anyone's ear anymore.

I just dont answer the phone, and hang up without wasting 3 secs if I accidently do. They give up after a while. The one's that dont give up, block the number. They obviously ignore any type of "Do Not Call" registery.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:18 AM

1,670 posts, read 1,498,813 times
I believe that the authorities, whoever they are that are supposed to protect us from this stuff, are not sufficiently interested in stopping this stuff. They see telemarketing as a legitimate business tool and don't want to interfere with it. I have the same thought about scam TV infomercials and computer scams. This stuff could all be stopped or seriously cut back if there was a real intent to do so. We are all seen as a resource for profit by whatever means possible.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,115,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I've blocked a lot of the numbers but they keep calling using different numbers with the same first 3 digits as your number. It's only been in the last 6 months. I never got any telemarketing calls on my cell before that.

After seeing responses here I'm guessing that it's futile to attempt to make them stop. The only way to stop it may be to get a new number.
getting a new number won't stop it. They're not calling you, they're calling your 'number' using automatic dialers and every time the phone is answered you're telling them it's a good number to call. Don't answer any calls that you do not know..if it's important, they will leave a message. These telemarketers do not leave voicemails.

it's annoying as hell because I get about 5-8 of these calls a day...ignore every damn one of them.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 AM

12,334 posts, read 17,192,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you're in my contacts list, I'll assign you an audible ring tone. Otherwise, the default ringer on my cell phone is "silent" and I won't even know you tried to call me until either the next time I look at my phone and see the missed call notification, or I get a vibrate notice from my voice mail. If the call wasn't important enough to leave a voice mail, I just swipe away the visual missed-call notification and within 45 seconds I'll forget anyone even tried to reach me.
This exactly. I was getting 2 to 3 calls a day on my cell. I don't pick for up strange numbers, not one legit call failed to leave a voicemail. If it's important the caller will leave a message, either by recording or text. Don't waste time on these scammers and telemarketers. It's your phone, not thiers.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:45 AM

17,548 posts, read 22,313,949 times
Quote:
I had no idea where to post this. I've been getting LOTS of calls from telemarketers. I don't have a landline and I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list. So, the telemarketer goes into their spiel and will not let me say a word. I've said over and over "Hello, can you hear me?" and they will not stop talking. When they finally pause and I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register. I'm getting 3-4 calls per day and I don't know how to make them stop. It's crazy. This new breed of telemarketer will not let you say anything at all and acts like they don't hear you. It's really strange. Is anyone else getting these calls?

Who can hear them speak when you don't pick up the call or hang up immediately when you realize it is a sales call?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 AM

17,548 posts, read 22,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This exactly. I was getting 2 to 3 calls a day on my cell. I don't pick for up strange numbers, not one legit call failed to leave a voicemail. If it's important the caller will leave a message, either by recording or text. Don't waste time on these scammers and telemarketers. It's your phone, not thiers.
Then hit "block this number" on your phone, game over for calls from those inbound numbers.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 AM

10,048 posts, read 5,765,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Then hit "block this number" on your phone, game over for calls from those inbound numbers.
That only achieves so much when it's easy to spoof caller ID numbers.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:02 AM

30,750 posts, read 18,432,838 times
Quote:
I've blocked a lot of the numbers but they keep calling using different numbers with the same first 3 digits as your number. It's only been in the last 6 months. I never got any telemarketing calls on my cell before that.

After seeing responses here I'm guessing that it's futile to attempt to make them stop. The only way to stop it may be to get a new number.
I've noticed this, too! Its infuriating. When I notice number patterns, though, I simply won't pick up the phone. If I am "fooled" and do pickup, I'll merely hang right back up.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 AM

604 posts, read 844,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Why the irresistible compulsion to pick up the phone?
I clearly stated in the OP "I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list."

I was trying to solve the problem. Once upon a time you could ask to be removed from a call list, but apparently that's not the case anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships