Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you taught to walk on the right side of the sidewalk/aisle as a child?
Yes 105 76.09%
No 17 12.32%
I have no idea 16 11.59%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:11 PM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I was taught that and I've more than once hit a local mall which had some brand shops and walking along on the right, I have had people run smack into me and I have hit many with my shoulder and kept walking. If they won't pay attention to their walking to avoid, I'd just as well teach them a hard lesson in watching where you walk.....
This is what happened when I worked downtown Chicago. I can't tell you how many times I've come to a complete stop and then had the person run into me....well actually bounce off of me since I'm built like one of the dwarves from lord of the rings. People walking 3-4 abreast down the sidewalk....same deal....I just come to a complete stop because I'm not going to plow over somebody for being an idiot but at the same time I'm not going to step off the curb into traffic either to accomodate them.

One of my favorites though was some self absorbed jerk that walked into me while Im standing still, gave me a dirty look...cell phone pressed to his ear....and then stepped off the curb right into the path of a bicycle rider that had the right of way. He got hit like an NFL linebacker had teed off on him, knocked the coins out of his pocket, cell phone went flying....hopefully he learned something or next time it will be a cab driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,514,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm just curious....do we walk on the right because we drive on the right? How do people walk in countries where they drive on the left?
That is my guess as well. And I live in an area that is primarily occupied by families who have relocated from another country. They are constantly walking on the left side. Drives me CRAZY. OP, I am so with you on this. I shouldn't have to walk down a sidewalk like I'm playing dodgeball with people. Just be considerate of others in common spaces. That means staying on the right while you walk down a pathway. I also hate the 3 abreast on the sidewalk, taking up all the space. Common courtesy is lacking in so many places.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:25 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,322,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's the same in aisles, as on sidewalks - stay to the right. If you have to look at something or grab something, keep your cart on the right and step over to the left. If someone is coming in the opposite direction (on their right, your left), say "excuse me" if you have to impede the flow of their traffic.

If you ever have to walk in front of someone, say "excuse me." I said this to a guy yesterday when I crossed in front of him - then he crossed in front of me and said nothing. Rolled my eyes and shook my head and gave him the stink eye.

People without basic manners are evil.
With all the issues in this world like famine and war this is what offends you

Old 12-23-2017, 11:05 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,000,630 times
Not only was I taught to keep right, I was taught that a gentleman ALWAYS walks on the curb side of the lady. ALWAYS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships