Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 02:42 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,709,608 times

Advertisements

Great topic!

I had to say goodbye to one of my doggies a couple of weeks ago, which was heartbreaking. I had not yet been to the vet out here where I now live so I was hoping that it would be OK. Anyway, the staff there was AMAZING. So kind, caring, and helpful during that difficult time and I even got a beautiful sympathy card in the mail that was signed with personal messages from all of the staff. The vet's message was particularly touching and special. I was so thankful that I chose that vet to care for my doggie during that time.

So this past weekend, I bought a nice box of chocolates and a card and took it to the vet's office to thank them for their kindness.

I also bought cookies and cards for my neighbors, and put cards and candy canes on the porches of some people who live alone (or those neighbors who don't go out much) in my apartment complex.

The smallest of gestures to show that you care can mean the world to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 03:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Great topic!

I had to say goodbye to one of my doggies a couple of weeks ago, which was heartbreaking. I had not yet been to the vet out here where I now live so I was hoping that it would be OK. Anyway, the staff there was AMAZING. So kind, caring, and helpful during that difficult time and I even got a beautiful sympathy card in the mail that was signed with personal messages from all of the staff. The vet's message was particularly touching and special. I was so thankful that I chose that vet to care for my doggie during that time.

So this past weekend, I bought a nice box of chocolates and a card and took it to the vet's office to thank them for their kindness.

I also bought cookies and cards for my neighbors, and put cards and candy canes on the porches of some people who live alone (or those neighbors who don't go out much) in my apartment complex.

The smallest of gestures to show that you care can mean the world to someone.

(((Hugs))) I am so sorry for your loss. I had to take my little pug to the vet for the last time in the Spring. I know how you feel. My vet and the office staff were also wonderful. When I got their card I cried again

That was very nice for your neighbors.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:29 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,709,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
(((Hugs))) I am so sorry for your loss. I had to take my little pug to the vet for the last time in the Spring. I know how you feel. My vet and the office staff were also wonderful. When I got their card I cried again

That was very nice for your neighbors.

Thank you SO much. I am really sorry for your loss (sending you a big hug as well!) I cried again when I got the card too... the messages were so heartfelt and each one said my doggies name... it meant a lot to me.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Couple weeks back 2 very polite young men approached me at the gas station and asked if I could give them a few dollars for gas. Their car had the hazard lights on. I said I don't carry cash, sorry. He was so dejected but still so respectful that I said I would use my card to put a few gal in their car. I bought them 3 gal and said that should get them at least 45 miles. They were sooo grateful and said God bless me several times for helping. I felt pretty good about it!

Old 12-26-2017, 10:03 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,602,374 times
While pumping fuel at a gas station island a few days ago, noticed an older man pull up to the opposite fuel island wearing a “Vietnam Veteran†hat. I cleaned his windshield free of charge, and held the door open for him to the store. Have a great holiday, I then said.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,303,481 times
Quote:
It's not always about people "needing" help but just being nice and or/giving help. Hold a door open for someone, smile at someone, wish someone a nice day, give a compliment, reach for something on a shelf for someone.

Little things also count for being in a nicer/kinder world

So I wish all of you a wonderful day today and I hope you enjoyed your meals/families and or friends these past few days.
I did some of the things you mentioned and the people looked at me like I had 3 heads. Being nice and having people be rude or looking at you like "I don't need your help" can be a buzzkill. Some people just can't handle it if when you be decent to them. So, I don't do it unless the person is in dire need of it. Oh well not my loss.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:29 AM

344 posts, read 244,910 times
Quote:
It's not always about people "needing" help but just being nice and or/giving help. Hold a door open for someone, smile at someone, wish someone a nice day, give a compliment, reach for something on a shelf for someone.

Little things also count for being in a nicer/kinder world
I do all of those things daily. My mother is that way and taught me the same. It doesn't cost anything or take much to be kind.

Having kindness returned to me happened on Christmas when my children gifted me with handmade and/or very personal/sentimental things. I'm also blessed to have good family and friends from girl scout leaders to friends who are as close as a sister.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 25 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,300 times
Online condolence, to basically strangers, but they need and appreciate comforting words, too.

On Christmas Eve day, I noticed the newspaper obituary for an employee of my primary banking institution, who passed away on December 22, at age 54, after a long battle with cancer---this wasn't someone I recall ever having business with at the bank, but I admit that her super attractive obituary photo encouraged me to read deeper, and an earlier online condolence from someone I know, a retiree from this same bank, gave some insight into the life of this extraordinary person.

I found the Facebook page for the person who died, she made many public postings, and it seems that she and her husband divorced, then he later died, and during their marriage they had one child, a son, who now, at age 19 no longer has either of his parents.

Both of her parents are still living.

A sad story, but even sadder at Christmas!

Old 12-27-2017, 02:02 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
I was the recipient of an act of kindness this week.

I was sitting in the lobby for a medical appointment. On the table next to me, where the magazines were, I noticed a small card. It was a Starbuck's gift card and someone wrote "pay it forward..someone bought my coffee so I am buying yours" on the envelope.

I thought someone might have left it behind so I took it to the front desk. The woman told me that it was meant to be found by the next person who came in, and so that was me. It put a smile on my face.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:34 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
I heard a thump next door where my elderly neighbor lives, so I listened for a minute and then heard "Help". Went next door and called 911 for him, and stayed with him until they got there. Just a fall but he needed help getting up. It's happened before and will probably happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships