Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 06:02 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,971 times

Advertisements

Good for you, Henna. You are part of the reason NYC is such an great place. It's harder to be kind when we have to overcome "differences", so again, kudos to you.

We received a senior discount recently when we renewed our YMCA membership. Yesterday, we gave most of that discount back to the Y in the form of a check, sponsoring a child for summer camp. The rest of what they gave us as the senior discount will go back to them in miscellaneous donations throughout the rest of the year.

We're not loaded with money, but I'm pretty sure we still have it easier than lots of parents raising kids these days. Senior discounts have always kinda bugged me. I take them, of course, but I try to pay them forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
My co-worker shared her snack with me. I'd been having a bad day, but that put a smile on my face.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:59 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,508 times
This isn't something that I did and it didn't happen recently, but I love this story so I will share it here.

I was working at an call center several years ago. This was before cell phones. Someone in my group got a call from a guy at a pay phone. He said he was really drunk and he needed a cab. Our 800# was the only phone number he had in his wallet.

My teammate asked him to read her the address and phone number showing on the pay phone. He did and she called him a cab.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:08 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,882 times
A hairy young man held a door open for me. I wasn't even really all that close to the door, but he held it, anyway. I said, "Thank you! That was really nice of you." And he just kind of grunted. That's okay... I wasn't expecting him to even hold the door.

The UPS guy dropped off a huge package on my porch the other day. (That sounds dirty. Not a euphemism. Ha.) I wasn't expecting anything, so I was kind of surprised to see it. I looked at the label and saw that it was actually supposed to go to a house down the block, so I found the woman on facebook and sent her a message. We got her package to her. The UPS man showed up the next day and said, "Umm, I left a package here by accident yesterday" and I said, "Yes, I got in touch and got it to her." And he said, "OH! Thank you! Sorry about that! Thank you!" I guess he thought he was gonna be in Big Trouble.
My other neighbor found a package of art supplies that I'd ordered flopped in a snowbank in front of her house and brought them to me, which I really appreciated! Our UPS man might need an intervention.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 PM

163 posts, read 138,139 times
Not meaning to blow my own horn, but last week I noticed someone's tax forms were wedged outside of my complex's mail center (someone wrote "wrong address" on them). I took them inside and gave them to the facility manager. I didn't want to leave forms outside for anyone to take, given the info that can be found on them.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
It does my heart good to hear all the good things. It's nice to hear instead of all the bad

My husband and I did our pay back today. Our much older friends are trying to tear out their master bathroom. We have been telling them over and over that we would come over and help. They kept telling us no. It took them a week and a half to get the tiled shower walls out. We have been doing our own building so we let them work on their own. My DH called them this morning and they were struggling with the shower step. He told her to stop and we would be there in an hour. We just got back from their house and took the shower step out, took out the tile floor and the mortar base, the vanity and sink, and the huge mirror above the vanity.

All they have is the clean up And now we have to go hang drywall, lol.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
Sent $ to grieving family of young boy

Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 PM

987 posts, read 778,956 times
I bought a CA Natural citizen who is poor and lives in TJ $300.00 Costco eyeglasses last week. I hope he repays me by fixing my drywall. I guess I will have to explain Bartering to him. I also bought him an ignition coil for his truck, got his insurance going on his truck and then he decides to stop trying to get it to pass smog in CA. OH well, again the barter system will need to be explained to him.

I lent 5 grand to a family member since August. I have not been repaid and I had to cut him off as Authorized User on 2 credit cards because it is clear he is an Alcoholic.

I am finished.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I bought a CA Natural citizen who is poor and lives in TJ $300.00 Costco eyeglasses last week. I hope he repays me by fixing my drywall. I guess I will have to explain Bartering to him. I also bought him an ignition coil for his truck, got his insurance going on his truck and then he decides to stop trying to get it to pass smog in CA. OH well, again the barter system will need to be explained to him.

I lent 5 grand to a family member since August. I have not been repaid and I had to cut him off as Authorized User on 2 credit cards because it is clear he is an Alcoholic.

I am finished.
I think you missed the point of this thread and the spirit of giving.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Met someone whose company would be a perfect fit for a friend of mine who was struggling to find a job. Put them together and she rocked the interview. She started work at the beginning of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships