Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2023, 04:49 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times

Advertisements

I purchased some clothing items for a 10 yr old girl as part of a 'mitten tree' at the town clerk's office.
I also baked some cookies for neighbors and our former vet (she retired).

Today is my dog's birthday and I made him a steak for dinner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 12:04 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,192 times
I came into a little money this year and was able to give some to a friend of the family who I thought needed it (which, in itself, is not the good deed. I hadn't earned the windfall, and nothing could be easier than writing a check). She immediately gave it all away to charity, which left me questioning my decision. Like, I could have given it to that animal rescue, but I'd wanted HER to have it. But she told me, "I've never had enough extra at the end of the year to be able to give to charity before!" And then I realized the real gift had not been the money, but the freedom to feel generous, herself, and maybe that's what she needed more than whatever comfort I'd envisioned her spending it on.

Old 12-29-2023, 12:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,571,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
I came into a little money this year and was able to give some to a friend of the family who I thought needed it (which, in itself, is not the good deed. I hadn't earned the windfall, and nothing could be easier than writing a check). She immediately gave it all away to charity, which left me questioning my decision. Like, I could have given it to that animal rescue, but I'd wanted HER to have it. But she told me, "I've never had enough extra at the end of the year to be able to give to charity before!" And then I realized the real gift had not been the money, but the freedom to feel generous, herself, and maybe that's what she needed more than whatever comfort I'd envisioned her spending it on.
I think you're right!

One time I was in between Apartments- I looking and I knew I'd find something but in the meantime I spent time both in a homeless shelter and a cabin at a campground. It was still frustrating to not know what was going to be next and I was expressing this with my group of friends. Afterwards one of the other students came up to me and said he had taken $40 out of the ATM and didn't know why. He gave that money to me and said now he knows why.

His kindness left me feeling joyful in a hard time in my life. I was at the homeless shelter and I knew a woman there could not get an apartment until she paid off a debt. When I thought of the $40, my first thought was her. I gave her $20 and told her it's to help her with her debt or whatever she needs, that I've been gifted money and wanted to share. She looked very surprised and almost like she wanted to give it back to me but I insisted. Even though I hadn't planned to use his money that way I knew it was right.

This was when I lived in Tennessee for 6 years. I had moments that I paid it forward and I had moments where someone paid it forward to me. I think this incident started the whole thing for me.

Nice to see how this started and I only realized while responding to this post.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 12-29-2023 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-30-2023, 06:52 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Someone did something nice for me yesterday, I am happy to report.

I had a new dishwasher installed earlier in the day. It works fine, but last night the garbage disposal wasn’t working. I called up Lowe’s. They gave me the number of the installation company to call and arrange for someone to come and reconnect the disposal. It was after hours so I knew I would just get voice mail. I was surprised that the voice mail didn’t say the company name, but left my message explaining what I needed.

A minute later the phone rang and the caller ID said it was the number I had just called. So I answered. The man told me I had called the wrong number. I thought this was so nice…..friends and family can’t be bothered to text back, let alone call, and this guy dud so I would know and could call the right number. Then he suggested that I see if the disposal was plugged in. Bingo! It wasn’t. All I had to do was plug it in and all was well. So not only did he call me back but he even offered some advice!

I don’t really believe in karma (although I wish it really did work that way), but my kindness was earlier in the day, again with the dishwasher. I know everyone says you don’t tip appliance installers, but mine was careful, punctual, and explained a few things about operating it. I don’t know if it was part of his job to explain, but as an older fairly new widow, I get nervous about these things and appreciated that he did this. So I gave him $20. He seemed surprised and pleased. When I am dead I won’t miss the $20. Maybe it made his day. And maybe it will encourage him to continue to do work and help some other older (or clueless person if any age!) person.

Old 12-30-2023, 12:24 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Someone did something nice for me yesterday, I am happy to report.

I had a new dishwasher installed earlier in the day. It works fine, but last night the garbage disposal wasn’t working. I called up Lowe’s. They gave me the number of the installation company to call and arrange for someone to come and reconnect the disposal. It was after hours so I knew I would just get voice mail. I was surprised that the voice mail didn’t say the company name, but left my message explaining what I needed.

A minute later the phone rang and the caller ID said it was the number I had just called. So I answered. The man told me I had called the wrong number. I thought this was so nice…..friends and family can’t be bothered to text back, let alone call, and this guy dud so I would know and could call the right number. Then he suggested that I see if the disposal was plugged in. Bingo! It wasn’t. All I had to do was plug it in and all was well. So not only did he call me back but he even offered some advice!

I don’t really believe in karma (although I wish it really did work that way), but my kindness was earlier in the day, again with the dishwasher. I know everyone says you don’t tip appliance installers, but mine was careful, punctual, and explained a few things about operating it. I don’t know if it was part of his job to explain, but as an older fairly new widow, I get nervous about these things and appreciated that he did this. So I gave him $20. He seemed surprised and pleased. When I am dead I won’t miss the $20. Maybe it made his day. And maybe it will encourage him to continue to do work and help some other older (or clueless person if any age!) person.
very nice of him!

And yes I also believe in tipping folks that come and do things like that at the house.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:03 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
I am in Denver. It's winter. It's very cold. Going to be 19 tonight. There are tons of migrants coming here with no winter clothes, no food, no shelter. A lady had posted on ND she was collecting food, clothing items for them and delivering tonight. I don't have any clothes to give so I did a $150 Sams Club order and had her pick it up to take down there.

Do I agree with what's happening? No. But I couldn't imagine leaving a war-torn country and traveling hundreds of miles with my little kids with nothing but the clothes on my back. To then be shipped to Denver in winter, knowing no one, not knowing the language, with absolutely nothing. The least I could do is help provide them some food

Old 01-05-2024, 03:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I am in Denver. It's winter. It's very cold. Going to be 19 tonight. There are tons of migrants coming here with no winter clothes, no food, no shelter. A lady had posted on ND she was collecting food, clothing items for them and delivering tonight. I don't have any clothes to give so I did a $150 Sams Club order and had her pick it up to take down there.

Do I agree with what's happening? No. But I couldn't imagine leaving a war-torn country and traveling hundreds of miles with my little kids with nothing but the clothes on my back. To then be shipped to Denver in winter, knowing no one, not knowing the language, with absolutely nothing. The least I could do is help provide them some food
Thank you!

Old 01-24-2024, 01:40 AM

29 posts, read 12,022 times
Default gifts

every mothers day and christmas i give three elderly ladys a gift bag. packing three more for them for valintines day.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:32 AM

3,142 posts, read 1,597,542 times
When my husband retired he returned all company provided technology and needed to purchase desktop, laptop and printer. Our neighbor's twenty-something son, not only came over to the install but comes over to install ink, fix paper jams and trouble shoot problems. My husband suggested he just show him how to do these things but this guy insists doing it personally -- says it's just quicker for him to do it. He refuses any money my husband offers.

The other day my husband looked out the window and saw him with a snow blower clearing our driveway.

I wrote his parents a note expressing appreciation for his thoughtfulness and commented on what a fine young man they raised.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:43 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I wished two people happy birthdays today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships