Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 03:19 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
I came into a little money this year and was able to give some to a friend of the family who I thought needed it (which, in itself, is not the good deed. I hadn't earned the windfall, and nothing could be easier than writing a check). She immediately gave it all away to charity, which left me questioning my decision. Like, I could have given it to that animal rescue, but I'd wanted HER to have it. But she told me, "I've never had enough extra at the end of the year to be able to give to charity before!" And then I realized the real gift had not been the money, but the freedom to feel generous, herself, and maybe that's what she needed more than whatever comfort I'd envisioned her spending it on.
I had a similar thing happen. I was at a company Christmas party and they were giving away door prizes. A friend of mine received two door prizes and spontaneously gave me one of them. Then, I received a door price of my own and I gave away the door price that friend had given me. I think it was a blender? It's been a long time ago! She did say to me afterwards that she could have given it to her daughter. I said I was sorry I didn't realize that and gave it to the coworker to spread the care around. She accepted my apology.

It was fun to gift it to someone that didn't have a gift!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 03:44 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And, Peeps, remember to be present for kindnesses that may be coming your way. Keep your eyes and ears open.

This thread provides proof that many of us are out there wanting to offer kindness to each other. Sometimes people are so self-absorbed or self-protective that they miss the good stuff being sent out to them. That only makes them feel more alone and unassisted.

I felt badly leaving the gym this week. Toward me in the hall came a plump, very pretty young woman with a scowl on her face. She looked like she was carrying so much hurt or stress that it hurt me to look at her.

I made eye contact and she glanced toward me. And just before I smiled and said, "Hi," she gave me a scornful sneer that froze my face in mid stride.

As I drove home I thought how unfortunate to be in her spot right now. Right when it's looking like she could use some kindness, she is forcing the very thing she needs away from her.

Is she somewhere today thinking, "Nobody cares about me?" and wondering why?

A smile and a greeting says to another person, "I see you, recognize you as a fellow human being and wish you well." I never underestimate the value of that gift to hurting people.
You don't know what she was thinking. She may have too much on her mind with something going on in her life. That as she looked at you, she wasn't thinking of you but the situation or other thing that was happening.

Also, you don't know what she was feeling. If she had something going on in her life, it may have taking precedence over anything of happening in front of her.

Even if you are correct in your evaluation of her situation, you could still have continued your smile without judgment of what she's going through. I can tell you I've gone through some strenuous situations that hurt to even think about and I might have been in her position to respond in a negative way only because of what I felt at the time.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:34 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
In Vegas over Super Bowl a lady had left her phone wallet case on a chair of a slot machine. It had all her stuff in it and I immediately turned it into security. We did 14k in hand pays in 4 days. Thinking that was Karma paying us back!

Old 02-25-2024, 08:56 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Gave a guy with a dead battery a jump today.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:08 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Had to wait a couple of minutes at the orthodontist and made pleasant small talk with the dental assistant. She loves cinnamon rolls. I offered with a day lead time. She just texted me if the offer is real. Of course! Tomorrow at 18:00. Pick up no delivery.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:07 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
I put my neighbor's trash can in her garage right before a bad wind storm.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:01 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Broken humerus, top of my right arm, cracked from.left to right, cards,Prayers, rides for shopping meals,Cookies, so much love, shown to me, in abundance !

Exhorted, told.to.accept ! To allow others to receive a blessing by serving me !

I Thessalonians 5:16 Footnote People are naturally happy on some occasions but the Christian's joy is not dependent on circumstances. It comes from what Christ has done and is constant.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:14 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times
Another gentleman loaded my bottled water into the cart at Costco. I told the man thank you and let him know that men are supergracious to me at Costco.

Chivalry is NOT DEAD.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:42 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I was struggling with two large boxes of moderately heavy items i had to send back to the company. they came in shrink wrap, so of course, sending them back, it didn't fit the box, so i had to strongly tape it and it was kinda bulky.

Anyway, i was out in my hallway and 2 men were there doing laundry. i asked one for help and he took it to my car and put the boxes in my car for me. i was really struggling. That guy was so nice. The other guy held the door! I am so thankful that they helped me.

Also when i went to the UPS facility, the guys working there brought the boxes from my car to the store, so i didn't have to lug it.

That was the best thing that helped me this week. Im not in good shape so i appreciated their help. Those boxes were ok for a younger person to carry but for me it was a struggle!

Old 04-05-2024, 09:49 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
You don't know what she was thinking. She may have too much on her mind with something going on in her life. That as she looked at you, she wasn't thinking of you but the situation or other thing that was happening.

Also, you don't know what she was feeling. If she had something going on in her life, it may have taking precedence over anything of happening in front of her.

Even if you are correct in your evaluation of her situation, you could still have continued your smile without judgment of what she's going through. I can tell you I've gone through some strenuous situations that hurt to even think about and I might have been in her position to respond in a negative way only because of what I felt at the time.
That's so true and I generally practice that line of thought so that I don't take things strangers do personally.
It would have been nice if that smile and greeting had just kept coming on my part but it didn't. Instead it stopped me in mid-smile. Sometimes trying to be authentic and spontaneous works that way. Oops.

A pair of oopsies - one on her part and another on mine. She oopsed and I automatically oopsed right back. It happens.

Maybe if she noticed it will help her gain insight into the effect her preoccupation has on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships