Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Few years ago when I traveled a lot for work, my outgoing flight was cancelled because of a snow storm in connecting city. As I was preparing to leave the airport with my spouse (who was still with me, waiting to see me off on the flight) we overheard a young man in a military uniform talking on the phone about being essentially stranded until the flight was rescheduled the next morning. We spoke with him and suggested that he come home with us; we'd bring him back in the morning. He said yes and the three of us had a pleasant evening, visiting while eating supper. Next morning, husband took him back to the airport. He was exceedingly polite and thanked us several times. It was very good for us also, since at the time, we were new empty-nesters.

Had not thought of that in a long time, thanks for the memory.
That sounds like something from another time. People are too scared to do that now. +1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 02:08 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
That's what my co-workers said when I told them back at work a few days later. (I rescheduled the trip for when winter was over, I was lucky timing was flexible. Thanks, former boss.)

But consider the circumstances.

We could see that he was a young soldier. We could hear him on the phone talking to his CO that he was going to be delayed and had already turned in his rental car, knew no one and had little funds with him, sine it was an unexpected delay.

He took the bigger risk. He had to depend on us to get him back to the airport the next day. But again, he could see I'd been waiting to take the plane and my husband was waiting with me. We probably looked harmless.

It was serendipity that a perfect confluence of knowable circumstances presented us with this opportunity to do the right thing. (if you can follow my reasoning)

And I think people in general now reach out to soldiers when the opportunity arises, since we have gained the insight to recognize the appropriateness of doing so.

I remember we stopped on the way home to buy a six-pack, after we asked him if he would drink a beer and he said yes. We had supper together, he had a beer, my husband and I split one. We visited for a little while, but showed him the TV and internet, told him to take a hot shower, help himself to the fridge and make himself at home. Then we went up to bed early, so he could chill in the guest sleeping area/basement. This way he got to relax without us around. Goodness, he was a twenty-something, we were likely at least borderline boring... ;-)

Anyway, it was fun and is a good memory. If my kid was in a bind like that, I hope someone would help him. And how many times when we were young did others step up to the plate and help us? More than we can count.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 05-27-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 07:43 PM

431 posts, read 352,582 times
I wasn't going to post because i didn't want to appear to brag about what I do. I don't do it for that but some one suggested I post.

I'm a volunteer firefighter/EMT. Don't really want to get into details about calls (plus could be a HIPAA violation) but we average a call every other day. We don't get calls every other day but it averages out that way, a couple weeks ago we had 3 calls in one afternoon.

Most of our calls are medical emergencies but wild fire season is here now and we are going to have a bad year. We didn't have much of a winter and there is a lot of fuel from having a big winter the year before.

To all my fellow firefighters out there: stay safe, remember your Standard Orders and Watch Outs, Attack from the Black!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:05 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
I wasn't going to post because i didn't want to appear to brag about what I do. I don't do it for that but some one suggested I post.

I'm a volunteer firefighter/EMT. Don't really want to get into details about calls (plus could be a HIPAA violation) but we average a call every other day. We don't get calls every other day but it averages out that way, a couple weeks ago we had 3 calls in one afternoon.

Most of our calls are medical emergencies but wild fire season is here now and we are going to have a bad year. We didn't have much of a winter and there is a lot of fuel from having a big winter the year before.

To all my fellow firefighters out there: stay safe, remember your Standard Orders and Watch Outs, Attack from the Black!
That is seriously awesome.

It ain't bragging if you back it up

~ Kid Rock

Old 07-05-2018, 04:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
My husband and I have property for sale in another state. We haven't been here in 2 months and we made the trip to take care of overgrown lawns. When we got to the property, about an acre on a main road, my husband started spraying the weeds in the gravel parking lot and I started mowing. About 5 minutes later I see the man from next door talking to my husband. Five minutes after that he rides his lawn mower over and helps me cut the lawn. We did it in record time. My husband told me that our he saw me mowing and just couldn't let me do it all myself. WOW...that was so nice of him. We know him and his wife but only as passing and waving acquaintances.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:17 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,060,534 times
My boss where I volunteer gave me a spare window AC that she had. It has been WONDERFUL during this heat wave.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 AM

4,242 posts, read 948,406 times
This is a wonderful thread - helps me remember what I have to feel grateful for. For me, gratitude is a muscle I've had to develop, because it is so easy to overlook everyday kindnesses. But once I start paying attention, it seems that kindness pops up all over the place. A lot of times it's something simple like a friendly smile from a stranger, people holding the door for each other, the grocery store bagger who comes running after me with my sunglasses. Noticing these things makes it a lot easier for me to extend that kindness to others.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:28 AM

4,242 posts, read 948,406 times
When I was 16, I was visiting New York State and had taken the train into NYC. I hadn't managed my money very well and only had $5 to my name to get to LaGuardia to catch my flight home. The first cab driver I found not only accepted my $5 fare, forget the tip, but pointed out all the sites on the way. He was a true life saver - I've always been so grateful to him.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,787,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post

Thank you for your work!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
I was hurrying down a stairwell to the subway today in NYC and was trying to pass a woman who was very slowly making her way down by holding onto the banister. She was not an old woman but had a cane. Just as I was hurrying to pass her, I realized maybe she needed help getting downstairs. (this station had no elevator or escalator)

So as I passed, I turned back to her and asked "Need any help?" And she said "No, I'm good." But she gave me a huge smile and thanked me. I think she was happy that someone had offered to help instead of rudely pushing past her.

Guess it's the little things that count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships