Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 24,599 times

Advertisements

I did something I normally would not do today. I was on my way to grab lunch and saw a man sitting in a crouched position holding out a cardboard sign. He wasn't bothering anyone like some of the panhandlers around here. We have panhandlers walking around here often, and I usually try to avoid them (for my own safety), but something in me today told me to offer this man a meal and that it would be okay. I read that it's best to take them to get the food or offer a gift card instead of handing them some food directly as the food they get are sometimes poisoned. Sad, but homeless people don't accept food for this reason.

I didn't even hesitate as I walked up to him and asked him if he'd like something to eat. He looked malnourished, sad, alone, and hopeless. I don't like being taken advantage of, but this man looked like he needed some food at least. And it wasn't much for me to give this away. This was so unlike me as I'm usually super alert and cautious about my surroundings, but for some reason, I wasn't afraid this time. There weren't that many people around, but I knew the place I was getting lunch from was just around the corner. He agreed to my offer, got up, and walked behind me as I led us to the Chinese place around the corner. I let him go in front of me and told him he can have whatever he wants. He could've picked the 4 item combo, but only chose 2 items. And the cashier asked if he wanted something to drink, and he turned to look at me if that was ok. I shook my head yes. I paid for our meals, and he thanked me a few times.

He reminded me of my brother, who could've been homeless if our prayers weren't answered. My brother's mental illness taught me a lot, especially putting myself or someone I love in a homeless person's shoes. You never know when it can happen to anyone of us. I don't know and don't care if that man really needed my help or not today. I just pray he gets the help he needs soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 04:50 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,148,402 times
We're donating batches of kids clothing to a local lady who gives the items out....Our local "thrift store" charges for junk and rags, which is horrible.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:36 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
I don't like to talk about what I do for others, but I do not mind talking about what others have done for me.

I'm involved in a veteran thing, and some veterans, including me, (about 10 total) were invited to a biker's club for a meal around Christmas time. Went there, lots of speeches about vets from the president of the biker club, and then, the next thing I know, they have Santa passing out bags with our names on them.

We had been asked what we wanted for Christmas, (I don't actually celebrate it, just went for a meal), and didn't think I would actually get what I asked for. I had asked for a throw blanket for the bed, because it gets cold at night, but I don't like how stuffy heaters make a room feel.

Well. In the bag was the softest throw blanket. It is gray, it is big, it is very warm, and I love it. Even my pets prefer it over the blankets I bought for them. I would never have bought this for myself - I know this cost more than I am willing to spend on myself.

But that was not the end of it. They gave us each an envelope, and in it was a Visa gift card with a good chunk of money on it to use as we pleased. UNbelievable.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendayae View Post
This isn't the best, but I'm trying to give more grace to others while still protecting myself. I had dinner with a group of women, and this woman I just met was complaining about her kids (who have disabilities). This would be their 5th school that she tried transferring them to. After listening to her complaints, I felt uncomfortable because she was being racist and generalizing a group of people, and I secretly thought she was part of the problem why her kids were on their 5th school. However, I don't have kids with disabilities nor do I have a spouse who just lost their job, so I tried to give her grace and did a prayer for her before I went to bed. I certainly do not want to be friends with her, but I prayed for better days for her and that she finds some kindness within herself.
I actually think that is great. We should all try to live every day like that and the world would be a better place.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:04 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Yesterday I hosted my second Senior Matinee this winter. Packed my living room with widows and widowers and another retired couple, popped a huge amount of buttered popcorn and set out salt and other seasoners, some sugar-free and sugary candies and a big container of roasted peanuts.

Set out decaf and regular, a pitcher of iced tea and offered cans of locally brewed root beer. Big bowls and lots of napkins.

The film was "Waking Ned Devine," about a small town of oldsters in Ireland. One of them wins the lottery and the shock kills him dead. Of course, none of them want to report his death. Humorous crafty dealings ensue.

We had fun and we laughed on a gloomy day. When they left there were popcorn kernels all over the place just like kids had been there.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:54 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yesterday I hosted my second Senior Matinee this winter. Packed my living room with widows and widowers and another retired couple, popped a huge amount of buttered popcorn and set out salt and other seasoners, some sugar-free and sugary candies and a big container of roasted peanuts.

Set out decaf and regular, a pitcher of iced tea and offered cans of locally brewed root beer. Big bowls and lots of napkins.

The film was "Waking Ned Devine," about a small town of oldsters in Ireland. One of them wins the lottery and the shock kills him dead. Of course, none of them want to report his death. Humorous crafty dealings ensue.

We had fun and we laughed on a gloomy day. When they left there were popcorn kernels all over the place just like kids had been there.
That must have been wonderful!

Old 02-10-2024, 04:12 PM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times
This is an awesome thread - we need more like this! The feeling you get when helping others is one of the best feelings in the world.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:45 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't like to talk about what I do for others, but I do not mind talking about what others have done for me.

I'm involved in a veteran thing, and some veterans, including me, (about 10 total) were invited to a biker's club for a meal around Christmas time. Went there, lots of speeches about vets from the president of the biker club, and then, the next thing I know, they have Santa passing out bags with our names on them.

We had been asked what we wanted for Christmas, (I don't actually celebrate it, just went for a meal), and didn't think I would actually get what I asked for. I had asked for a throw blanket for the bed, because it gets cold at night, but I don't like how stuffy heaters make a room feel.

Well. In the bag was the softest throw blanket. It is gray, it is big, it is very warm, and I love it. Even my pets prefer it over the blankets I bought for them. I would never have bought this for myself - I know this cost more than I am willing to spend on myself.

But that was not the end of it. They gave us each an envelope, and in it was a Visa gift card with a good chunk of money on it to use as we pleased. UNbelievable.
Great post! What a "warm and fuzzy" feeling you must have gotten and continue to get from the kindness and individual attention that was given to your wish. An extra bonus is that your pets love it too!

Old 02-15-2024, 10:11 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
I was waiting for SO at the hospital this morning. An old gentleman using a scooter (amputee) and a security guard were loudly talking about the old gentleman's dog having run away in the parking lot an hour earlier and how desperate he is to find his fur baby. A young nurse stopped dead in her tracks. She found the dog wandering the parking lot, took it to her office as it was friendly and had just gotten some food for it. No need to post Found notices:>)

Old 02-20-2024, 12:25 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,040,413 times
On Nov 18th of last year I was enjoying my engagement party and had a freak fall in my hallway that broke my lower leg in three places, and my ankle was just demolished. I had very extensive surgery and I live alone. I also live in a different town than my kids, who certainly did help some, but this was a horrible experience for me. I felt like an amputee, I could not put any weight on my foot AT ALL for 10 weeks. I was bedridden for the first two weeks and cooking and cleaning were just not going to happen.

My sister (OMG I love her so much!) She found an organization called Eternal Blessings and she hired them for a couple of days. They sent workers to my house for 4 hour minimum for only $16.00 per hour. They cooked, they put groceries away, they swept, washed dishes, fed my cat and changed my sheets. They moved my Christmas Tree from storage and decorated it, even wrapped gifts and checked my mail. They went to the dump for me, they did all the things that mean so much but most people really don't think about. All together there were 3 people that came to my house and I made 3 new friends. They were all women, and would also sit and talk and just keep me company. That was the BEST thing that anyone could have done for me during that difficult time.

Since that time, late December, I have called that place and had them send a girl out another time and she helped me do so many things that needed to be done, like laundry, and dishes and putting the Christmas tree back up. I will always remember what they did for me and if I can, if anyone I know has surgery and needs help at home, that's the place I will call. My sister had Covid and was to come stay with me when she got sick so she wanted to help and she found that place. It truly was a blessing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships