Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's just your own, one, perspective. Lots of young people are in college to form relationships, make friends, join social activities, fraternities, etc.
That's true as well, but when one of those friend stab you in the back with the least you expected, I hope you will realize the meaning of a friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:21 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
It seems like you outgrow people relatively fast. The only thing I can suggest is find things you have in common with in the people you meet and go from there.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,069 times
Based on previous threads you've started, I'm pretty sure I know where you are at school.

Do a search for "student organizations + [your school name]" – there are 539 listed. They range from academic/social, groups relating to your major (nursing, as I recall), entertainment, performing, religious, cultural, special interests, service groups, etc. Pick a couple and look at their contact information. Look for announcements in the school paper, and start trying to get involved. There are lots of ways to get involved with fellow students in serving the larger community. This is how you meet people that share interests outside of a particular class. You're in the midst of an area that has lots of needs – get involved to help others and you help yourself at the same time.

I know you've previously expressed some issues with social anxiety. That makes it harder to put yourself out there, but it's what you must do to start to develop some friendships. Push yourself beyond your comfort level to walk into a group. Getting involved in a service group should give you an opportunity to develop a friend while you are doing something for kids or elderly or [fill in the description] of people who need assistance.

Ultimately, you don't need 10 or 20 friends: One or two "running buddies" will make life more enjoyable for you. Once you make yourself join in, it should be easier each time.

You can't form deeper, long-term friendships if you don't start somewhere. Start now. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:27 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I’m in my third year of college, and I have not maintained a single friendship since I’ve started. I’ll meet people in a given semester, and we exchange numbers to study together, help each other out with homework, and talk about classroom material. However, after the semester ends I often don't have classes with them anymore, and the relationship ends because we no longer have anything to talk about. People say college is supposed to be the best four years of your life, and while I'm not having a terrible experience I do get lonely at times.

Even my friends from high school. I only keep in contact with one person from high school. However, I'm always the one reaching out to her or contacting her first. She never initiates contact with me. What could be a reason or reasons why my friendships don't last long and people never initiate contact with me?

"People" are lying. College can be enjoyable and rewarding, but the best years of your life are the ones when you are independent and making a living and raising a family. At least, that's how it is for me.

And while I've never been hugely popular, I have more friends now (at age 51) than I ever did in college.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
I'd say you need some counseling in how to be a friend. Friends show interest in more than a mutual class. They ask about friends, family, interests, and share the same. They make friendly jokes. They do favors for one another. They find mutual interests and do them together. The counseling service at your schoolmates be able to match you up with a social skills coach. And yes, joining clubs is where you'll find those who share your interests.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:56 PM

23,317 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
People say college is supposed to be the best four years of your life, and while I'm not having a terrible experience I do get lonely at times.
"People say". HA! If I had a dime for every time these all knowing, anonymous "people" turned out to be right, I'd be independently wealthy. People also used to say the earth was flat. Usually they are merely repeating something they heard. That's called rumor....or gossip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships