Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 03:40 PM

271 posts, read 261,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you still haven't explained why she had money in her hand - she obviously intended to pay... no? Maybe she thought you bring pizza on the way over and she reimburses you?
At first, I thought she was waiting to pay for a delivery but then I didn't get that impression she was paying for anything since she mentioned her trip money was dwindling and she was putting the money away in her wallet.

I texted her when I picked up my daughter at school to let her know we were on our way. A text back stating pick up the pizza would've been a nice warning! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 03:40 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,904,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethewinter View Post
The original text said would you and Ms. V (my daughter) like to meet at Butch's pizza for dinner on Friday after work? We can have dinner there or we can have dinner at my place and order in. I took this as an invite to dinner. Personally, when I invite someone out to dinner, I pay. If I'm suggesting my home for dinner then to me, it's really no question as to who pays. I can't see inviting you over to my house to eat, order take out and oh by the way, pay the guy.

Am I wrong? The way I feel, it's a $5 pizza. I've taken her out to eat plenty of times. Did she really think it was asking too much to reciprocate a pizza? I could've gone straight home after work and I would've been just fine. It was a Friday and I was exhausted! To not even bring it up at all while we were there leaves me to believe she expected me to order it and pay for it. Why invite me to dinner? I have plenty of food in the fridge at home.
That sounds a lot more like "we should get together for dinner" than "I'd like to take you to dinner." Your expectations without knowing hers are meaningless. If the two of you are unable to have a conversation about such an inconsequential matter why would you even consider vacationing together when arrangements must actually be discussed?

Old 03-26-2018, 04:02 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,756,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That sounds a lot more like "we should get together for dinner" than "I'd like to take you to dinner." Your expectations without knowing hers are meaningless. If the two of you are unable to have a conversation about such an inconsequential matter why would you even consider vacationing together when arrangements must actually be discussed?
I agree completely. First of all, the OP arrived at 4:15. Who eats at 4:15 or even orders anything that early? I know I don’t. Even 5:45 is quite early for a lot of families who might not eat until 6:30-7:30. The friend might have been expecting a discussion about what they were doing and then was going to either order pizza at an acceptable time or go to the pizza place. Usually when someone orders a pizza, they want to make sure that everyone likes the toppings/crust type instead of just ordering a random one and hoping for the best, particularly when a 9 year old is involved.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,622,910 times
I haven't seen a pizza from a pizza place costing $5.00 in a long time. Are there really pizzas at Little Caesar's costing only $5.00? (maybe just a small cheese with no toppings?) Pizzas are usually more like $15.00 at a minimum and $20 or $22 isn't out of the ordinary.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I agree completely. First of all, the OP arrived at 4:15. Who eats at 4:15 or even orders anything that early? I know I don’t. Even 5:45 is quite early for a lot of families who might not eat until 6:30-7:30. The friend might have been expecting a discussion about what they were doing and then was going to either order pizza at an acceptable time or go to the pizza place. Usually when someone orders a pizza, they want to make sure that everyone likes the toppings/crust type instead of just ordering a random one and hoping for the best, particularly when a 9 year old is involved.
I work at a school, so I'm one of the lucky people who actually gets home before dark. I'm home by 4, put the dog out and I have dinner on the table by 5:15 or 5:30. She asked me to meet her at the pizza parlor after work, so she knew that would be 4:00 or meet her at her house and order in. Not to mention, I have a dog, She knows I have to run home by 6 cause the poor thing is sitting at home waiting to be let out. We've hung out before and have chatted on the phone after work. She's pretty familiar with my day to day routine.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:23 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,223,593 times
Yep, $5 pizzas, either cheese or pepperoni. About 6 slices, they are not bad, certainly better than a frozen. I actually don't hate them.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I haven't seen a pizza from a pizza place costing $5.00 in a long time. Are there really pizzas at Little Caesar's costing only $5.00? (maybe just a small cheese with no toppings?) Pizzas are usually more like $15.00 at a minimum and $20 or $22 isn't out of the ordinary.
LOL! You're right. Pizza prices are ridiculous! But a small pie at Little Caesar's is still just $5. They don't deliver. You have to pick up. But if you want delivery, you order Dominoes for $5.99 and they deliver to your door. I don't know maybe it's just me. I think I'm a pretty darn good host. When I invite people over for dinner; I actually feed them! LOL

Old 03-26-2018, 05:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,302,211 times
Quote:
The original text said would you and Ms. V (my daughter) like to meet at Butch's pizza for dinner on Friday after work? We can have dinner there or we can have dinner at my place and order in. I took this as an invite to dinner. Personally, when I invite someone out to dinner, I pay.
Among my friends and family that clearly means "we are each paying for our own food" at the restaurant. It meant that to our various friends when we were in college, and now almost a half century, when we are in our sixties. And, the way that she added "or we can get take-out and eat it at my house" to me was NOT an invitation to dinner, just an option to eat someplace else than in the restaurant for convenience.

An invitation to dinner is "Mary and I would like to take you and Hubby to dinner next week" or "I would like to take you to lunch" ( and they usually add "my treat" or "I'm paying" just so it is clear). Or, "please come to my house on Friday night for dinner."

Meet you = each person pays for their own food vs. Take you = we are the hosts and we are paying (at least for my family and friends).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I agree.

I'm sorry that you and your friend "got your signals crossed" but you really should have talked it out at the time.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-26-2018 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 05:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,210,712 times
Well, you're the one who knows her.

And evidently well enough that after 30 minutes or so, I don't know why you didn't say, "Hey, where's the pie?"

There seems to have been a misunderstanding on both sides.

I hope you also know that the answer to the road trip is nope. And not just because she's cheap.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,790,745 times
Quote:
The original text said would you and Ms. V (my daughter) like to meet at Butch's pizza for dinner on Friday after work? We can have dinner there or we can have dinner at my place and order in. I took this as an invite to dinner. Personally, when I invite someone out to dinner, I pay. If I'm suggesting my home for dinner then to me, it's really no question as to who pays. I can't see inviting you over to my house to eat, order take out and oh by the way, pay the guy.

Am I wrong? The way I feel, it's a $5 pizza. I've taken her out to eat plenty of times. Did she really think it was asking too much to reciprocate a pizza? I could've gone straight home after work and I would've been just fine. It was a Friday and I was exhausted! To not even bring it up at all while we were there leaves me to believe she expected me to order it and pay for it. Why invite me to dinner? I have plenty of food in the fridge at home.

When a girlfriend (or anyone besides a date) asks me if I want to go out for lunch or dinner we always pay our own way. We never expect the other to pay! What's weird though is that she never ordered a pizza regardless? I would have asked her "Hey, did you order the pizza, my daughter is hungry".

Anyway, I agree that this is NOT a good idea that you let her "tag-along" on your trip! She already made it a point to let you know that she is low on funds. Yo will end up paying for EVRYTHING! If you're that worried about safety than book airlines tickets for you and your daughter. Southwest is typically very cheap or decide on a different locations. If you end up letting her come along, you WILL regret it. Tell her that you have decided just to go on the trip with your daughter that the two of you could use some alone time together. DONE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships