Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,680,506 times

Advertisements

That's pretty.....cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 10:33 PM

102,392 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
We’re talking about a $5 little ceasars pizza how is this even a thing? Also save your money and don’t feed your kid that garbage.
This was my question, too. I find it hard to believe. If she were that cash-strapped, she should have called the OP, to cancel, or reschedule for when the daughter returned from her out-of-town thing, whatever it was.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 AM

271 posts, read 261,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Sorry, no.
If I invite someone out to a meal, it's on me. Likewise if they invite me, it's on them.
Now, if I'm planning a trip, and someone decides to invite themselves, I will politely say, "Sorry, but this is for me (and whoever is coming with me). I've had a so-called "friend" try to invite himself to an outing I was going on; I directly told him no. He wouldn't listen, so I said I was leaving at 8 am - wouldn't you know, this guy came to my house at 8! But I threw him off the track - I'd actually left at 5 am.

I found out about this when I returned home that night. But I did say no.
LOL! That is pretty funny. However, are you guys still friends? I agree, when I invite her out to eat; I pay. I made the invitation. She's never been the one to make the invitation so I assumed (obviously, a mistake) that she would pay.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This was my question, too. I find it hard to believe. If she were that cash-strapped, she should have called the OP, to cancel, or reschedule for when the daughter returned from her out-of-town thing, whatever it was.
I agree! It was Friday and I would've been just fine going home right after work. I could've visited her another day when she returned from her trip. If she couldn't afford a pizza she had all morning to text me and say hey, can we see each other after I return? I've got some last minute prep, before I travel.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,685,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethewinter View Post
I'm curious for other feedback:

Two weeks ago a friend sent me a text inviting me and my daughter out to dinner Friday night as she was traveling out of state the next week and wanted to see us before she left. She wanted to know if we wanted to have pizza at the local pizza joint or just order in. I told her she could just get a $5 pizza at Little Caesars as my 9 year old is easy to please, no need in spending any real money. I get to her house after picking up my daughter from school around 4:15 and she has cash in her hand. I thought maybe she was waiting for the delivery guy. She proceeds to tell me that the money she had withdrew for her trip is slowly dwindling down. I didn't think anything of it, but by 5:45 when the pizza hadn't arrived and I realized she had no intentions of ordering one we got our stuff and left.

Is it me or is it a lot of freaking nerve to invite someone over to dinner and then expect them to order it and pay for it? She didn't even offer my child a glass of water or a damn snack!!

On a different note, I'm planning a 1,400 mile road trip to Florida in the summer with my daughter and this same friend has invited herself to tag along. Part of me is wondering if this is a good idea and the other part of me wouldn't mind the company of traveling with another adult in the car. I plan on making several stops along the way, visiting a few states. I've mentioned to her that she will have to have her own money for meals, excursion, etc. but this last experience has got me wondering and shaking my head!

What do you think??
The situation you described is not what I thought this thread would be about. If a friend invites me to dinner at a restaurant, NO I don’t expect them to pay for me. If someone invited me and my non-existent kid over for pizza at their house and then I get there and they don’t order pizza? That’s weird.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:44 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,354,774 times
If someone invites me to dinner they are asking for my company/time. I know to take money so I can pay for my own meal. If they say "my treat" it means they're offering to pay to celebrate a birthday or return a favor or something like that. In such cases I offer to take care of the tip.

When I ask some to dinner/lunch it means I'm simply asking if the want to go, I'm not offering to pay. I used to have a cheapskate friend who thought differently then looked confused when I would say separate checks. For many reasons she's no longer a friend.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
21 days is way too long to spend with a person you are unsure about. That is a very long trip.

Also not sure why a friend would want to spend 10 or 12 days with your 6 or 7 siblings plus your mom, even if one or two at a time or whatever.
I feel the same way. I don't want to spend that much time with anyone's family. She vacations once a year with her family just a little over 2 hours away from where we live. I've never once thought of inviting myself or my daughter on her vacation. I wouldn't even dream of the intrusion on her family time.

I love my family. They're funny, they're nutty and they're a bit dysfunctional (but which family isn't?). They are the Gunfight at the OK Corral crew. They will be always be there for me when I need them. I can't help but think everyone is going to be a bit uncomfortable trying to make sure she's not uncomfortable!

Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,591,403 times
If a friend INVITES me out for supper, then yes, the friend pays.

If a friend SUGGESTS that we should go out for supper, then you each pay.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:51 AM

759 posts, read 469,822 times
There is a history here and the OP has stated that she has invited this person out to eat several times and paid for her. The fact that she hasn’t reciprocated up until this incident is already a warning sign. And when the first opportunity comes up, it gets weird, is a clear sign that this person is cheap. I find the motivations of cheap people to be a very strange thing – they manipulate situations to avoid paying for things in ways that make it almost seem like they are playing poker or chess.

OP, I wouldn’t go on the road trip with her but it might still be a worthwhile friendship to keep. Based on the information you have given us, it seems like you are a single mom living a long way from home. With that in mind, you have to weigh the benefits of these friends, who seem like nice people despite their very obvious flaws. Sometimes flawed friends and flawed company are better than none.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:43 AM

12,227 posts, read 21,592,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethewinter View Post
I can't help but think everyone is going to be a bit uncomfortable trying to make sure she's not uncomfortable!
So you’re still considering letting her go even though you two can’t talk about ordering a pizza? The road trip is an obvious no, as everybody else has already said.

Stay friends with her if you don’t mind paying for all the food and you like her. Seems simple to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships