Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 06:18 PM

666 posts, read 645,808 times

Advertisements

I understand now, sorry about that. My apologies.

I don't know, yes, but then after she didn't it just seems odd that you left, I feel like in that situation whatever friend is hungry first can just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:22 PM

6,611 posts, read 5,014,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I would never combine a trip to visit relatives with a vacation with a friend. And, 21 days with a friend and her child? Nope, never.
Ditto if there are relatives involved! And does she have a kid too or just you? If she does it just sounds worse to me. That's a long trip if you haven't traveled together before.

Saying you will abandon her if she runs out of money is one thing, but actually doing it is another.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:30 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,519,329 times
Well since you were coming over and you’d mentioned Little Caesar’s, maybe she just thought you were going to pick it up along the way. They don’t deliver in my area, I don’t know if they do in yours. But it is weird that she didn’t mention it to you if that’s what she had thought. And the fact that she had brought food only for herself to your home before is definitely off!

100% I would not take a road trip with this person. Unless you feel like the benefit outweighs the additional costs, and it maybe it does. But it will cost you to bring her along.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:54 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,567,358 times
Absolutely NO to a road trip. Very bad idea. Let this be a lesson to you. She is cheap. She will USE you if you take her on a trip and you won't even be able to dump her until you get home (unless you are SO fed up you tell her to take a bus home)
End of friendship if that happens.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,598,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethewinter View Post

I work for a school, so I have 9 weeks off in the summer. The plan is to drive to Kentucky and stay 2 nights and sight see and then go straight down to Alabama for a night. I have 6 siblings soon to be 7 siblings living in Florida, plus my mom. I'll be staying with each of them a few nights. I've been in Wisconsin for nearly 5 years and my daughter hasn't seen her aunts or uncles in some time. She really doesn't remember some of them and/or sometimes gets them confused. We'll be in Florida for about 10 to 12 days and then head back to Alabama for a night and 3 nights in Tennessee. All the hotels are booked with the exception of the return to Alabama. One of my concerns is whether she'll have the money for this trip. This trip is going to cost me a bit but we haven't traveled in a long, long time, and if I'm going to do it, I want to see it all!! It's a real road trip! It's about a 21 day trip. Probably won't make this trip or anything like it for a long time. If she runs out of money anywhere along the way, I'm going to be annoyed and miserable!!
21 days is way too long to spend with a person you are unsure about. That is a very long trip.

Also not sure why a friend would want to spend 10 or 12 days with your 6 or 7 siblings plus your mom, even if one or two at a time or whatever.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-26-2018 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 07:26 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,355,869 times
Sorry, no.
If I invite someone out to a meal, it's on me. Likewise if they invite me, it's on them.
Now, if I'm planning a trip, and someone decides to invite themselves, I will politely say, "Sorry, but this is for me (and whoever is coming with me). I've had a so-called "friend" try to invite himself to an outing I was going on; I directly told him no. He wouldn't listen, so I said I was leaving at 8 am - wouldn't you know, this guy came to my house at 8! But I threw him off the track - I'd actually left at 5 am.

I found out about this when I returned home that night. But I did say no.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,778,355 times
She did not invite the OP out to dinner. She suggested getting together for pizza. There was a choice of whether to eat in or take the pizza back to her place to eat it. She was standing there with her share of the money in her hand, expecting the OP to chip in with her own share. They were going to discuss what size pizza, what toppings.

For some reason they never talked about the pizza. The person is low on money and can't afford to pay for the OP and daughter's pizza but would have paid for her own. That's how I see it. She is out of state visiting family, not flying to Disney! Maybe she is having some family problems and that's why she had to visit them even though she can't afford it.

As for why she and her husband showed up with Subway food? Maybe they were trying to take the pressure off OP to cook for them. Their way of saying, "We're fine. You don't have to fuss."

The problem seems to be communication. Why didn't the OP ever mention the pizza to her friend? It seems that the friend was probably embarrassed about not having much money and was afraid to ask. Neither one of them communicates very well. They just assume. Don't take a trip to Florida with this person though--you two can't even talk about a pizza! Also, the friend staying with your relatives in Florida for all that time would be weird. Too much potential for massive miscommunication.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:04 PM

3,701 posts, read 2,432,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethewinter View Post
I'm curious for other feedback:

Two weeks ago a friend sent me a text inviting me and my daughter out to dinner Friday night as she was traveling out of state the next week and wanted to see us before she left. She wanted to know if we wanted to have pizza at the local pizza joint or just order in. I told her she could just get a $5 pizza at Little Caesars as my 9 year old is easy to please, no need in spending any real money. I get to her house after picking up my daughter from school around 4:15 and she has cash in her hand. I thought maybe she was waiting for the delivery guy. She proceeds to tell me that the money she had withdrew for her trip is slowly dwindling down. I didn't think anything of it, but by 5:45 when the pizza hadn't arrived and I realized she had no intentions of ordering one we got our stuff and left.
This friend did not tell you that she would not buy / pay or even go "halves" on the pizza?

You were not told and realized this after an hour and a half?

If so, this person is not only not a good planner and cheap but also a bad communicator.

Quote:
Is it me or is it a lot of freaking nerve to invite someone over to dinner and then expect them to order it and pay for it? She didn't even offer my child a glass of water or a damn snack!!
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me."

Especially with a 9 year old may need / want water or a snack after a day at school.

Quote:
On a different note, I'm planning a 1,400 mile road trip to Florida in the summer with my daughter and this same friend has invited herself to tag along. Part of me is wondering if this is a good idea and the other part of me wouldn't mind the company of traveling with another adult in the car. I plan on making several stops along the way, visiting a few states. I've mentioned to her that she will have to have her own money for meals, excursion, etc. but this last experience has got me wondering and shaking my head!

What do you think??
No way would I want this "friend" on a long road trip with me.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 PM

9,385 posts, read 7,011,014 times
We’re talking about a $5 little ceasars pizza how is this even a thing? Also save your money and don’t feed your kid that garbage.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 PM

17,657 posts, read 13,445,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Exceptionally rude and a preview of what your trip with her along would be.

Exactly what I was going to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships