Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,140,447 times

Advertisements

I have really messed up at work and wanted to vent about the sitaution

I posted awhile back about my job and how I was having trouble with my manager. Basically she was expecting me to do other coworker's work they had leftover and it was very frustrating. Normally i am the last person on shift that is there before she comes in, so people were leaving trash and not cleaning properly. She was angry at me because she wants everything cleaned up and ready before she comes in, and she doesn't care who does it. She just wants it done. Well, I complained to her about it and tried to tell her others werent pulling their weight and it was hard for me to do my work and everyone elses. Of course I gave her names and told her I already tried talking with them about it.

Well she ended up talking with them about it and now i have a reputation as a tattletail I guess. Whats weird is that my manager kept getting so mad at me for my "excuses" that I just gave up and started doing everyones work that was leftover. I stopped complaining about it or bringing it up. But now I have a bad rep for telling on people and now work can be awkward and there is tension. I only have one friend at work now but shes quitting (probably) and apparently shes been talking around my back about personal stuff I told her and not anybody else so that's where that is. The other friends I thought i had are treating me weird and now I think I'm just not liked.

My manager isnt helping either. I guess she hates me. I thought things had gotten better brtween us because some days she is nice but the other day I got called into the office to talk about my attitude. she says shes never had a problem with an employee like shes had with me. She said i don't take directions well and that I get an attitude with her. She also says I need to be quicker and pay better attention and that I'm the weaker link on the crew. She says that if I motivated myself more and was a team player then i could do well. She talked about how she started out as drive thru and moved up to manaagment and that shes not going to take excuses anymore. I said i was sorry and she said that she doesnt want to hear sorry anymore, she wants to see results. There was other stuff to but that was mainly it. I was sad to hear all that because I honestly thought I was doing really good :/ She says i get an attitude but mostly it's just that shes always yelling and getting onto me when I'm working and I'm dealing with a bunch of customers so normally I'm pretty upset stressed when I reply to her.

I'm just feeling sad and down. I wanted to start this job off right and at the beginning it was good. I wanted to get promoted and make friends. Like real friends. But once again i feel like I messed everything up. Work used to be my favorite place because I got to be around people and my job gave me purpose but now I don't look forward to going at all.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,475,595 times
Being liked by coworkers is overrated. If they aren't writing your checks, screw 'em. The vast majority will be phony anyways. Coworkers are like friends. If you have one really good one in your corner, consider yourself blessed.

Also? Find a new job.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:47 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,934,739 times
That doesn't sound like a great place to work; however, looking at this objectively if your manager wants the trash and stuff cleaned up before she comes in and you're the last person on the shift before she comes in and she doesn't care who gets it done you're probably going to be stuck doing it. You'll have to go over her head to complain about that because it appears to be her management style; not a great one, but that may be how it is with her. I'm not sure submitting a complaint to her manager would get you anywhere either, unless the place has the effect of poor management.

Treemoni's right about the friend aspect of work. You're there to work, not socialize. Sometimes you can do both and get the work done but that's not often and I would think most work environments don't lend to that being the case. I'd focus on being a good worker and if the other people don't like you there that's their problem. As long as you have work to do at your job it shouldn't have an overwhelming effect on how you feel at work (because you'll be working and not caring about what your co-workers think of you). If the aspect of not socializing at work because the people there don't like you is making it so you can't stand being there, there's probably not enough work for you to do there.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:02 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Why does she yell at you when you're dealing with customers? There seems to be more to the story, here. Telling an employee they "have an attitude" isn't constructive criticism. It's vague. Supervisors are supposed to critique behaviors, not "attitudes". Are you not getting your work done? Is it true that you don't listen to directions, or is this something she made up? We can't tell what's really going on.

It's not a realistic expectation, that.you would make friends at work. Your social life is separate from your work life. Look for friends on your own personal time, not at work. At work, you should focus on getting your job done, getting along with others in the office, and cooperating with everyone to the extent the job requires.

I wonder what others in the office were doing about the trash they left around, before you arrived. That's odd; it sounds like you don't have mature coworkers.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why does she yell at you when you're dealing with customers? There seems to be more to the story, here. Telling an employee they "have an attitude" isn't constructive criticism. It's vague. Supervisors are supposed to critique behaviors, not "attitudes". Are you not getting your work done? Is it true that you don't listen to directions, or is this something she made up? We can't tell what's really going on.

It's not a realistic expectation, that.you would make friends at work. Your social life is separate from your work life. Look for friends on your own personal time, not at work. At work, you should focus on getting your job done, getting along with others in the office, and cooperating with everyone to the extent the job requires.

I wonder what others in the office were doing about the trash they left around, before you arrived. That's odd; it sounds like you don't have mature coworkers.
Upsadaisy works at McDonald’s, or some place similar, I believe. I think if you are there at the beginning or end of the shift, you have to make sure the store is cleaned up before the customers come in. I’m not sure what the distribution of labor is or who else is expected to clean up the floor before the OP leaves, but certainly it’s an issue if the place is absolutely filthy when it’s her time to clean. In that case, I’d just request to change shifts outside the closing shift to not be stuck having to do everything. If the OP’s problem is just that there is a light amount of trash, not that the bathrooms are filthy, the trash bins are filled to the brim, etc., then I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have to do some tidying. No place is going to be pristine if customers are there after they leave.e.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,884,342 times
OP your posting history contains a theme: no one likes you, you say this again and again.

You said your family didn't like you and treated you badly. Many posts stating this.

Ditto friend group you used to have, all dropped you. You posted this multiple times.

Boyfriends, all abusive except current FWB. Many posts on this.

Church folk, don't like you. Pastor's wife, you said, didn't like you and accused you of hitting on her husband, didn't like you taking food, you also said. You posted this.

Last McDonald's job, got fired. You blamed it on the one date you had with the manager. Whole thread about it.

Subsequent jobs, got fired for being too slow/talking too much/not getting work done. Several posts.

Could it maybe be you have an unrealistic view of your own behavior?
I'm going by data YOU provided, not assumptions. Anyone who reads your posting hx shall see the same.

The only positive human interaction you've mentioned was with the current FWB. All else was complaining how you are persecuted, abused, taken advantage of and disliked.

Sounds like this manager has same complaints about your work performance as the job you were fired from that you made an earlier thread about (stocking shelves I think it was?)

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 05-24-2018 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,060,677 times
This is what my team is told, " you are not held responsible for how you find an area; you're held responsible for how you left it"

If go in a restroom after a staff member, and they left the trash overflowing, paper towels on the floor etc...I'm going to hold them responsible for cleaning it up. Yes, I do pull trash and pick up paper towels from the floor. I don't care if it's their job or not...if you see it, you own it. It won't kill anyone to pull a bag of trash, pick up some paper towels off the floor or to clean the break room after the sloppy pigs left it dirty.

Daisy was right in reporting it to her manager, but to think it's 'not her job', is where she's 100% wrong.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:48 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,138,738 times
I think you have a little soul searching to do on your own behavior. If you're always the one the others don't like there's usually a reason.

And.. time to find a new job. They're going to be walking you out the front door very soon where you are. The writing's on the wall now.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,884,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I think you have a little soul searching to do on your own behavior. If you're always the one the others don't like there's usually a reason.

And.. time to find a new job. They're going to be walking you out the front door very soon where you are. The writing's on the wall now.
If one reads the posting hx the recurring theme of "no one likes me, am in trouble at work, and I don't understand why" is ubiquitous throughout. In this OP's case, posting hx is significant and revealing as to wherein the problem lies.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
OP your posting history contains a theme: no one likes you, you say this again and again.

You said your family didn't like you and treated you badly. Many posts stating this.

Ditto friend group you used to have, all dropped you. You posted this multiple times.

Boyfriends, all abusive except current FWB. Many posts on this.

Church folk, don't like you. Pastor's wife, you said, didn't like you and accused you of hitting on her husband, didn't like you taking food, you also said. You posted this.

Last McDonald's job, got fired. You blamed it on the one date you had with the manager. Whole thread about it.

Subsequent jobs, got fired for being too slow/talking too much/not getting work done. Several posts.

Could it maybe be you have an unrealistic view of your own behavior?
I'm going by data YOU provided, not assumptions. Anyone who reads your posting hx shall see the same.

The only positive human interaction you've mentioned was with the current FWB. All else was complaining how you are persecuted, abused, taken advantage of and disliked.

Sounds like this manager has same complaints about your work performance as the job you were fired from that you made an earlier thread about (stocking shelves I think it was?)

^^ if this is all true (I haven't read all your threads), you have some soulsearching to do.

You need to be faster at work. Be more productive. Fast food places are fast paced. No time to stand around and do nothing. Have you tried retail? Not as fast paced, maybe more suited for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships