Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:37 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,769,745 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. In early July my girlfriend asked me to be in her nieces quincieta‘s uncle dance. At first I was excited by it, but now I’m more worried than anything. The dance consists of 4 or 5 songs that lasts a total of 5 minutes. During the first and only rehearsal there was a choreographer that gave us a brief rundown of the dances. The whole thing seems very complicated as that there is 4 to 5 songs and each song has its own set of dance moves that kind of meld into each other. The other day I saw videos on our Facebook page of the other uncles doing rehearsals. I was confused because I wasn’t invited to those rehearsals. Part of that is on me I guess because I didn’t reach out to inquire as to when the next rehearsals would be( however, my girlfriend has asked her on more than one occasion about keeping us in the loop). But, at the same time, I feel left out of the loop as well. When I sent a message to my girlfriends niece about the rehearsals, all she sent me was YouTube videos of the dance moves. I’ve been trying them out but feel these videos are very inadequate substitute for in-person rehearsal. It then dawned on me that this dance is coming up in a couple weeks and I have not heard one word on the next rehearsal date. Using YouTube videos is just not cutting it. My girlfriend and I attempted on a few occasions to practice, but between our kids and work life, it’s been super difficult to plan a day that works for both of us. At this point, I’m ready to tell my girlfriend that because I don’t want to look like a complete idiot up on stage, it would probably be best if I not do the dance. At the same time though, I feel bad because my girlfriend makes this out to be an honor for me to be invited to do the uncle dance. I’m just stuck in limbo here. Part of me wants to do the dance but another, large part of me, does not because I haven’t had the time nor the opportunity to do the rehearsals with the other uncles. Any advice is open. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Just bow out.

Was this your girlfriend's idea or your niece's? That may be why they aren't including you.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,473,049 times
I agree with BB, bow out gracefully. You are probably overthinking this - if the niece was really earnest to include you in the performance, she'd have been a lot more 'hands-on' in the lead up to the quinceañera.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Just bow out.

Was this your girlfriend's idea or your niece's? That may be why they aren't including you.
I think it was the nieces idea. But yes, the lack of communication from her makes me feel left out.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I agree with BB, bow out gracefully. You are probably overthinking this - if the niece was really earnest to include you in the performance, she'd have been a lot more 'hands-on' in the lead up to the quinceañera.
That’s how I feel too. I mean, if I had a major life event thing such as this coming up in the near future, I’d be making sure the people involved were on the same page. When I saw that video, I asked my girlfriend why I wasn’t invited. She said she was going to look into it. Haven’t heard anything yet and it’s been a few days. I’m just not going to make myself look like a complete a$$ on-stage because the only rehearsal material I had was YouTube videos. I feel there is lack of effort on the nieces part in not including me.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
It sounds like she has plenty of uncles to do this. Just bow out gracefully and don't make a fuss out of her not including you or whatever. She's the focus of the event and probably has a lot going on.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I think it was the nieces idea. But yes, the lack of communication from her makes me feel left out.
I highly doubt a 15 year old girl is that concerned about having some guy her aunt is seeing take part in this. More like your girlfriend asked for you to take part.

I live in Southern CA, these parties are big deal, as big as a wedding. The fact that rehearsals are going on and you're not in the loop is saying something.

Bow out now, save yourself massive embarrassment, and that poor girl who will have boys and girls who are friends attending.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It sounds like she has plenty of uncles to do this. Just bow out gracefully and don't make a fuss out of her not including you or whatever. She's the focus of the event and probably has a lot going on.
Yea, that’s what I plan on doing.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I highly doubt a 15 year old girl is that concerned about having some guy her aunt is seeing take part in this. More like your girlfriend asked for you to take part.

I live in Southern CA, these parties are big deal, as big as a wedding. The fact that rehearsals are going on and you're not in the loop is saying something.

Bow out now, save yourself massive embarrassment, and that poor girl who will have boys and girls who are friends attending.
I believe you are right. I just feel left out of the whole process. It’s really fine though. I’m not going to make a big deal out of it.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I agree. If the niece, and the other uncles, had really wanted to include you they would have made sure that you were invited to all of the rehearsals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships