Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I'm not seeing anyone but I live with my mom and younger brother. I work Christmas Eve, but I'll be home Christmas Day. I'll be at home by myself for a few hours, I usually enjoy my alone time. My mom and little brother will be at my Grand mother's house. I don't plan on seeing anyone but my immediate family. It'll be just like every other year. Nothing special.

That's ok. The day is yours to spend as you like

I enjoy alone time too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 PM

296 posts, read 265,760 times
Take the dogs for about a one hour hike, then lay some track (rabbit scent) and let it age for an hour or so then let them track it.

Read in the afternoon.

Just another day.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:05 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Again this year, I'd like to hear how single CD posters, who will be alone on Christmas and New Years, or Hanukkah, will be spending their days until January 2nd.

Will you cook up a storm for yourself?
Will you buy yourself something special?
Maybe build a fire and read with pets close by?
Or do home projects, hobbies?
Or possibly no real plans?
Alone, meaning...no family? Unmarried? Define "alone" please.

I love love LOVE my alone time. Even if I had no family (my family can be exhausting!!) and no BF, and could not have my son with me, I would simply delight in having an entire day to spend as I please. Christmas music, movies, fireplace lit....ah....nice!

Old 12-24-2018, 05:14 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
For 54 years, I celebrated Christmas Day in my home = first during the years my children were small and then as they married, left home and began raising children of their own All were expected to show up for food (I made it all) homemade cookies, (I made them all) gifts for everyone, a decorated house, and at last count there were 23 people. That number included sons, their wives, their children, their children's spouses and SOs. All the while working a full-time job and keeping up the day-to-day operation of the home. Even after I retired, the tradition continued, including the years when I had open-heart surgery and then colon cancer.

Then it was 2012. During the year, there was some ugliness (directed at me) and I made up my mind that I would never host this family again. And I haven't. (Side note: Not one person picked up the torch and said, "I'll host Christmas Day.")

One son visits in the late morning and we visit, have a little bite, chicken salad, croissants, cheese and crackers, and assorted munchies. I am invited to two other son's homes and I don't always go but the invitation is there, nonetheless.

I watch some Netflix; do a puzzle; eat whatever I want; and just treat it like any other day. Alone but not lonely.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:52 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I love love LOVE my alone time. Even if I had no family (my family can be exhausting!!) and no BF, and could not have my son with me, I would simply delight in having an entire day to spend as I please. Christmas music, movies, fireplace lit....ah....nice!

yes yes yes

since it is so rare, but OMG do I agree with you......

since I am an office worker, having a day off during the week, if the situation arose where a holiday would come and I ended up being alone (mostly by choice) It is truly heavenly.

its not happening this year, and Im headed to NJ, which I know zero about, but one of my sons wifes family was like, no, bring your father and my partner is like, dow e have to....

I dont wanna hut the boys feelings and his wive is a nice girls.

id just assume to stay here in the city, and donothing. I feel like I have done about a bilion xmas, like really.

so Im lovong your answer, alone time.......

have a great holiday.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:22 AM

193 posts, read 98,205 times
This holiday season seems different. I didn't hear blaring Christmas music in the stores and the bell ringers were subdued. I didn't hear Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays from every person I met. Are we all distracted by the state of our country or the world? Maybe so.

I will be home with my cat and doing my needlework while listening to the radio. I have a calming scented candle that I like to put on the candle warmer, and I have plenty of food to eat and a variety of hot beverages to drink.

Changes are coming. Just a feeling.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Seriously???

Hmmm....alone means by yourself, no other humans in the picture at all.

Doesn't include pets.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
For 54 years, I celebrated Christmas Day in my home = first during the years my children were small and then as they married, left home and began raising children of their own All were expected to show up for food (I made it all) homemade cookies, (I made them all) gifts for everyone, a decorated house, and at last count there were 23 people. That number included sons, their wives, their children, their children's spouses and SOs. All the while working a full-time job and keeping up the day-to-day operation of the home. Even after I retired, the tradition continued, including the years when I had open-heart surgery and then colon cancer.

Then it was 2012. During the year, there was some ugliness (directed at me) and I made up my mind that I would never host this family again. And I haven't. (Side note: Not one person picked up the torch and said, "I'll host Christmas Day.")

One son visits in the late morning and we visit, have a little bite, chicken salad, croissants, cheese and crackers, and assorted munchies. I am invited to two other son's homes and I don't always go but the invitation is there, nonetheless.

I watch some Netflix; do a puzzle; eat whatever I want; and just treat it like any other day. Alone but not lonely.

Well you aren't alone if you have family visitors. Have a pleasant holiday anyway.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
This holiday season seems different. I didn't hear blaring Christmas music in the stores and the bell ringers were subdued. I didn't hear Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays from every person I met. Are we all distracted by the state of our country or the world? Maybe so.

I will be home with my cat and doing my needlework while listening to the radio. I have a calming scented candle that I like to put on the candle warmer, and I have plenty of food to eat and a variety of hot beverages to drink.

Changes are coming. Just a feeling.

I'm with you on that. Did have a stranger give me a big, loud Merry Christmas today...that was unusual.

My cats and I will listen to the radio too....read a bit. Candles and white lights...plenty of food, mostly
appetizers so I can mix and match.

Have a pleasant few days...

Old 12-24-2018, 03:05 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Not really alone. But it's not a traditional Christmas by any means. My house currently has a dog I'm petsitting, a dog I'm fostering and my own two dogs, plus the cat. My father who has dementia is currently here so we can leave for my friend's house on time. Pop is on one end of the couch (the nice end, with the chaise) reading a magazine, and I am at the other end on my computer. Three of the dogs are sitting between us.

Tomorrow, I'll bring Pop back for Christmas Day dinner. Again, me, my dad, four dogs and a cat will all be havin dinner together. It's strangely pleasant, and Pop basically ignores the animals while they try desperately to get his attention. LOL.

Oh yeah, and we have "Classic Christmas Hits" blasting on the spotify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships