Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 08:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
24th and the 25th - My intent to break the tradition of being at home did not work because I failed to make travel arrangements timely. Today is very low key: relaxing, eating and watching a L&O marathon. Tomorrow, I'll prepare a nice dinner and watch Netflix.

I appreciate this forum. Year-over-year, I know there is safe place I can (e)visit and converse with others who chose, or have no choice, but to spend the holidays in their own company.
"L&O marathon"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 08:57 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
I wasn't alone this year, but my Mother was, and she died unexpectedly on Christmas Eve. Not a merry Christmas for me.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Alone, meaning...no family? Unmarried? Define "alone" please.

I love love LOVE my alone time. Even if I had no family (my family can be exhausting!!) and no BF, and could not have my son with me, I would simply delight in having an entire day to spend as I please. Christmas music, movies, fireplace lit....ah....nice!
I find that the idea of a Christmas with no family, no significant other, and no children is very appealing in theory...to those who have family, a significant other, and children. In practice, it's sometimes less than...

Solitude always seems more desirable when it's optional.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-26-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 09:06 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I wasn't alone this year, but my Mother was, and she died unexpectedly on Christmas Eve. Not a merry Christmas for me.

Oh no, atlguy39!!!

I'm sorry to hear this....many of us know what it's like to lose a parent. So many thoughts go through your mind. As time goes by you'll find peace, I hope...take as long as you need to about grieving.

Thinking of you,
gbh

Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I will be devoid of other humans entirely by choice, though I'm on good terms with family and friends who all live far away. Gifts and cards have all been sent and arrived safely. I will:

Tidy up the honeycreepers' aviary and give them their special Harry and David Royal Riviera pears soaked in nectar.
Wake up the python for his mouse feast (frozen/thawed/warmed up...no murder in this house).
Put treats out for the wild birds.
Stroll the property moose trail with the dog, enjoy watching her submarining through the snow.
Play the 110+ year old crank wind music box.
Haul in wood and fire up the woodstove. Aldo Leopold always said that "wood you cut yourself warms you twice". Actually it works out to about 5 times by the time it gets tossed in the stove.
Set up the camera to capture another glorious 4 pm sunset.
Re-read favorite parts of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Watch a favorite classic non-holiday movie.

Liking your day....any day with birds and animals is a great day!

Old 12-26-2018, 01:01 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"L&O marathon"?

Law and Order

Old 12-26-2018, 01:02 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,415 times
Quote:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
So sorry to hear this.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:46 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear this. I know it was a difficult and conflicted relationship. Wishing you peace of mind. *Hugs*

Old 12-26-2018, 05:52 PM

131 posts, read 156,494 times
Sorry for your loss, Atiguy39. Makes my woes seem insignificant.

Xmas eve, my brother, who was visiting just for the day, made such an ass of himself having a temper tantrum that I ran him off and made him go home and decided I don't want to be around him anymore. This has been going on far too long. Maybe it was a gift to me since it made me decide not to put up with his entitled attitude anymore, but it felt bad.

Then on Xmas day, my sister's husband got falling-down drunk and decided to verbally abuse both her and me, so I left her house where we were having brunch and went home. He's done this for years and she's finally decided to leave him.

So maybe getting these toxic people out of our lives is good in the long run, but it sure ruined the day. Should've stuck to my plan to stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships