Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 04:25 PM

408 posts, read 259,529 times

Advertisements

I do NOT let any one approach me when I am pumping gas. I wave them off at 20 feet and tell them not to get any closer. If they want a conversation then I can hear them at that distance. And yes, I am looking around and observing people when I am out of my car at the gas station or grocery store parking lot.

Inside of the store I will talk to people and engage in pleasantries. I am in more control inside, that standing at my car pumping gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:29 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I would have said, "I'm sorry, I can't help you" and disengaged. Who the heck goes looking for employees at midnight in a gas station?

I got some of my best jobs that way

Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,342 times
This is why I try hard not to stop for gas or anything else for that matter late at night. I also have such stories..

Old 11-13-2019, 05:17 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
we call this a "Schnaps Nose" in Germany.
Boris Yeltsin was famous for his.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
At the risk of sounding rude why even worry about it? She was an obvious nutcase and her conversation revealed it a few sentences in. I encounter mildly insane women a few times a month randomly in the streets. Nothing memorable about them.

She must've been cute, eh?
The thing is, the OP doesn't seem to think it was obvious that she was a nutcase. OP was thinking maybe s/he was rude to the stranger, and offended her, causing her to walk away suddenly.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:15 PM

48 posts, read 33,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
All I know is that you sound a lot like me. Don't know if the medical profession has anything to do with it but I am an RN.

I seem to attract people who want to tell me their entire life's story while in a checkout line, parking lot, gas station, etc...
LOL right?

Picking up the stranger the first time wasn’t smart. I don’t plan to do that again. For a while, I had taken “positive intent” pretty far.

She wasn’t cute or ugly. Until she asked why I didn’t open the door, she seemed relatively normalish. It’s expected that someone with a brain injury will be a little different. She had mentioned opening the care home before I learned she had a brain injury. I was on guard a touch, but I deal with people who sound like her every day. Thinking back, I should have thought “she can’t open a care home with a brain injury”.

I fully understand where everyone is coming from on the dangers of the situation. It would only take one bad experience for me to realize the danger for myself, besides knowing it.

Wherever I am, I try to communicate well to avoid offense. I don’t want to offend someone and avoid making a friend or hurting someone, even a stranger. I understand that each person has their own emotions, thoughts, etc, so I want to care for them. I know what it’s like to be in a rough spot.

So I think I should care, but be guarded. Idk. Maybe I should just avoid that gas station lol.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:42 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't think you should be trying to work on trusting strangers.
This. I am all about being kind to people, but, trusting strangers is how you often end up stuck in weird conversations at midnight when all you wanted to do was pump some gas and go on your way. Or with people who latch onto you because now that you've listened to them once, they think you're best friends.

There are people out there who are lonely, or have mental problems, or are simply very socially-awkward, and they're lonesome, and that's sad. Of course it is kind to listen to them sometimes. But, before you do, weigh the consequences to yourself. I don't wish to be cold or cruel, but, I have learned this lesson the hard way too many times.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Just because she's a woman doesn't mean she's harmless.

Just get away as soon as you can.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:49 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
This is why I try hard not to stop for gas or anything else for that matter late at night. I also have such stories..
Heck, I don’t like to leave my house after dark.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
This. I am all about being kind to people, but, trusting strangers is how you often end up stuck in weird conversations at midnight when all you wanted to do was pump some gas and go on your way. Or with people who latch onto you because now that you've listened to them once, they think you're best friends.

There are people out there who are lonely, or have mental problems, or are simply very socially-awkward, and they're lonesome, and that's sad. Of course it is kind to listen to them sometimes. But, before you do, weigh the consequences to yourself. I don't wish to be cold or cruel, but, I have learned this lesson the hard way too many times.
I think you have to use your gut. But mine is wrong sometimes. A woman was coming towards me at a gas station and seemed scary. Wanted a ride to the bank. ? then she wanted $1. And she just kept coming despite me waving her off.

I later met the woman at my other corner store. She is perfectly nice. All the employees around her know her. She IS a meth addict, I found out, but not dangerous. I guess I was still in the right to be safe rather than sorry the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships