Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 03:38 AM

48 posts, read 33,349 times

Advertisements

I was fueling up my car around midnight last night, when I was approached by a woman with a red nose. She had seen the scrubs I was wearing, and she struck up a conversation about a care home she hoped to open, various past medical places she’d been employed, a motorcycle accident that left her mentally impaired, etc. She offered me a part time job at the home she was planning to open, said she might need physical help too (I kinda paused like ...where is this convo going, and I think she smiled a bit, but it was because, she said...) since she couldn’t climb a ladder, and said she’d give me her number. I pulled out a pen and paper to write it down, whereupon she asked where my phone was, and I said it was in the car. She was like “you don’t even want to open the door?” (“with me nearby”) and turned around and walked off.

She then started talking to another driver, who, after chatting with her a few minutes, sped off quickly out of the station.

She seemed a little different but not much, but if she had had a head injury, it’s to be expected...plus she did know a number of medically related institutions and local drug companies and their histories. I thought we were getting along well till I opted for pen and paper.

If she was shady, what was her game? She was a mid 40s, normal sized woman...didn’t seem to be inclined to violence. Maybe she wasn’t shady but was drunk and got offended that I took precautions of using pen and paper, and simply spoke her mind more openly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:17 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Crazy it as crazy does.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:26 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
I would have said, "I'm sorry, I can't help you" and disengaged. Who the heck goes looking for employees at midnight in a gas station?

Old 11-13-2019, 04:27 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Anybody approaching me at midnight is shady. There is no sun at that time.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:31 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
Shady or not you were wise to not open your door.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post

She seemed a little different but not much, but if she had had a head injury, it’s to be expected...plus she did know a number of medically related institutions and local drug companies and their histories. I thought we were getting along well till I opted for pen and paper.
Crazy people and drug addicts always know a lot about hospital stuff and law enforcement. She was probably going to try to swipe your phone when you pulled it out.

Quote:

If she was shady, what was her game? She was a mid 40s, normal sized woman...didn’t seem to be inclined to violence. Maybe she wasn’t shady but was drunk and got offended that I took precautions of using pen and paper, and simply spoke her mind more openly?
She didn't get offended. She most likely could see that you were taking her BS story seriously and weren't going to be the kind of target she was looking for.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:34 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
I was fueling up my car around midnight last night, when I was approached by a woman with a red nose. She had seen the scrubs I was wearing, and she struck up a conversation about a care home she hoped to open, various past medical places she’d been employed, a motorcycle accident that left her mentally impaired, etc. She offered me a part time job at the home she was planning to open, said she might need physical help too (I kinda paused like ...where is this convo going, and I think she smiled a bit, but it was because, she said...) since she couldn’t climb a ladder, and said she’d give me her number. I pulled out a pen and paper to write it down, whereupon she asked where my phone was, and I said it was in the car. She was like “you don’t even want to open the door?” (“with me nearby”) and turned around and walked off.

She then started talking to another driver, who, after chatting with her a few minutes, sped off quickly out of the station.

You had an encounter -- at midnight -- with a potentially shady stranger, and you allowed it to go on long enough to discuss the care home she wanted to open, multiple medical institutions and drug companies and their histories, her motorcycle accident and resulting impairment, and the job she wanted to offer you? And you're worried about whether or not you're rude? I think you weren't rude enough.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:37 AM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Some people simply aren't all there. I'm not sure she was going to rob you, she was just a little odd. I knew it as soon as you got here: she struck up a conversation about a care home she hoped to open, It's just not something people usually do, to just start telling their life story to anyone and everyone (nor is offering jobs to total strangers they know nothing about, let alone jobs that involve caring for vulnerable people).

Sure, it's possible she knew about medical stuff. It's certainly possible she may have been in the medical profession once and something may have happened to her mentally. Or she may simply have an interest and done a lot of reading.

(And no, you weren't rude-- frankly I'd be too lazy to go back into my car to get my phone.)

Old 11-13-2019, 06:48 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You had an encounter -- at midnight -- with a potentially shady stranger, and you allowed it to go on long enough to discuss the care home she wanted to open, multiple medical institutions and drug companies and their histories, her motorcycle accident and resulting impairment, and the job she wanted to offer you? And you're worried about whether or not you're rude? I think you weren't rude enough.
Thisssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Drug company discussion with strangers at midnight. Ok.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Crazy people and drug addicts always know a lot about hospital stuff and law enforcement. She was probably going to try to swipe your phone when you pulled it out.
(snip).
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships