Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 09:03 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Just because she's a woman doesn't mean she's harmless.

Just get away as soon as you can.
Guy and I went to a bar. Pretty woman hit on him and invited him to the outdoor patio. Her bf was waiting with a knife. He left the bar in an ambulance lacking his wallet and cell phone. !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 PM

351 posts, read 271,909 times
I'm just so glad I don't have to pump my own gas.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:31 PM

48 posts, read 33,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Guy and I went to a bar. Pretty woman hit on him and invited him to the outdoor patio. Her bf was waiting with a knife. He left the bar in an ambulance lacking his wallet and cell phone. !
yikes. Thanks for that info...it could be the woman is dangerous or there could be someone else...

Thanks for all the advice. I did need some reality checks. Altho symp/empathizing, I’ll definitely be more on guard next time someone comes up to me.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:14 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 165,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post
LOL right?

Picking up the stranger the first time wasn’t smart. I don’t plan to do that again. For a while, I had taken “positive intent” pretty far.

She wasn’t cute or ugly. Until she asked why I didn’t open the door, she seemed relatively normalish. It’s expected that someone with a brain injury will be a little different. She had mentioned opening the care home before I learned she had a brain injury. I was on guard a touch, but I deal with people who sound like her every day. Thinking back, I should have thought “she can’t open a care home with a brain injury”.

I fully understand where everyone is coming from on the dangers of the situation. It would only take one bad experience for me to realize the danger for myself, besides knowing it.

Wherever I am, I try to communicate well to avoid offense. I don’t want to offend someone and avoid making a friend or hurting someone, even a stranger. I understand that each person has their own emotions, thoughts, etc, so I want to care for them. I know what it’s like to be in a rough spot.

So I think I should care, but be guarded. Idk. Maybe I should just avoid that gas station lol.
"I don’t want to offend someone and avoid making a friend or hurting someone, even a stranger. I understand that each person has their own emotions, thoughts, etc, so I want to care for them. I know what it’s like to be in a rough spot."

What concerns me is that you seem to have poor boundaries, emotionally and perhaps otherwise. You seem to want to be overly friendly to those who can pose more of a danger to you even though they are acting weird or are attempting to violate your boundaries.

Now you don't have to be overly aggressive in asserting your boundaries, but you can protect them.

Case in point, I grew up in a large urban environment, where parents taught their children from an early age, the importance of being street smart, because it could be a matter of life and death. Situational awareness matters.

So I went to a local eatery yesterday, to get something quick to take home, but I had a bit of snack before I left. It was a sunny afternoon. The place was empty, with four seats near the door, two on each side. Two people were sitting at one side, so I went to the other side and just stood eating. A guy who got his food earlier came and stood next to me. He was going to sit and eat. I didn't say a word but quickly moved away. There was no need for him to sit right next to me when there was a whole table in the middle with empty seats. I went and sat there. It was just what I did automatically. I got up this morning and thought, I probably avoided having my pocket picked or something.

Last edited by PVW; 11-14-2019 at 04:39 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 04:46 AM
PVW

"I think you have to use your gut. But mine is wrong sometimes. A woman was coming towards me at a gas station and seemed scary. Wanted a ride to the bank. ? then she wanted $1. And she just kept coming despite me waving her off.

I later met the woman at my other corner store. She is perfectly nice. All the employees around her know her. She IS a meth addict, I found out, but not dangerous. I guess I was still in the right to be safe rather than sorry the first time."

Of course you were in the right to be safe rather than sorry. You had no way of knowing at the time her full story. No need to second guess yourself.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:18 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,551,381 times
OP, they make episodes of Dateline about people like you. 'Nice' to a fault. 'Nice' to your own detriment.

There are people who seriously think every single individual who approaches you--be it at a gas station or as you're at an ATM--should get a fair shot. Love and friendliness should be spread to all. Someone posted awhile back about being approached by strange men while on vacation and a good many of the responses were of the 'you should've been friendly and welcoming to these native men hanging around the tourist areas and approaching out-of-towners' variety(I'm exaggerating slightly).

Most of us with healthy boundaries and a good dose of common sense would not be too accommodating to some stranger approaching us at a gas station, even before they questioned an open car door. Again--common sense. Don't be too overly concerned about offending a stranger whose motivations you know absolutely nothing about. You'll still sleep well that night, believe it or not.

EDIT: OP, go to YouTube, if you will, and take a look at the plethora of gas station security cam videos of what has happened to many, many MANY a polite person who was approached by one or two strangers asking innocently for directions or some change. Brace yourself and maybe realize the world is not a big Disney movie.

Last edited by BobCaldwell; 11-14-2019 at 05:29 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 05:24 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,551,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post

Case in point, I grew up in a large urban environment, where parents taught their children from an early age, the importance of being street smart, because it could be a matter of life and death. Situational awareness matters.

So I went to a local eatery yesterday, to get something quick to take home, but I had a bit of snack before I left. It was a sunny afternoon. The place was empty, with four seats near the door, two on each side. Two people were sitting at one side, so I went to the other side and just stood eating. A guy who got his food earlier came and stood next to me. He was going to sit and eat. I didn't say a word but quickly moved away. There was no need for him to sit right next to me when there was a whole table in the middle with empty seats. I went and sat there. It was just what I did automatically. I got up this morning and thought, I probably avoided having my pocket picked or something.
Yeah, I come across these sorts of weirdos from time to time, of both sexes. I think sometimes they're gearing up to ask for something, others are just weirdly needy of attention from strangers. I make sure to give the guy a 'Really?!' look and hold it for second, and more often than not HE will move away (and he was just getting ready to start it off by asking if I watched 'the game' last night).

I make sure to exude the 'leave me the f alone' vibe to folks in the street. I've literally had them catch one glance from me as they cheerfully strolled my way and quickly do a u-turn to go try some other sucker.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 AM
PVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Yeah, I come across these sorts of weirdos from time to time, of both sexes. I think sometimes they're gearing up to ask for something, others are just weirdly needy of attention from strangers. I make sure to give the guy a 'Really?!' look and hold it for second, and more often than not HE will move away (and he was just getting ready to start it off by asking if I watched 'the game' last night).

I make sure to exude the 'leave me the f alone' vibe to folks in the street. I've literally had them catch one glance from me as they cheerfully strolled my way and quickly do a u-turn to go try some other sucker.
I walk through the streets with a "you are not here, I don't see you" vibe, even though I scanned about 20 feet ahead of me and saw exactly who you were and what you were doing as I was walking along.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
I'm just so glad I don't have to pump my own gas.
Me too!

And when i did, I never stopped at midnight to do it....

Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
we call this a "Schnaps Nose" in Germany.
My nose is red just because that is the way it is. I can't even get it to tan. About the only thing I have touched is Pepsi, and I have not drank that in a long time. No alcohol for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships