Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 06:59 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Make a donation in their names to a charity you know they would support.
This!^^^

Or a nice winter/holiday arraignment for the table(s)?from the florist?

Or some flower bulbs for her garden if they have one: right now you can order bulbs which will be shipped to her in spring, they will flower in the summer- you even could help her plant them.
(When giving it you could just cut out a pretty photo of the bulbs in bloom- in a small frame)
They come back usually- depending on the climate hardiness zone.
You can gift her fall planting bulbs and plant them in spring, but they won’t flower this year.
DM me for you specific climate suggestions if you go with this idea

Just as an example below

https://www.dutchbulbs.com/category/...tm_content=Buy

https://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/?ut...s%20For%20Sale

https://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs

Last edited by Nik4me; 12-21-2019 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 07:35 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
This!^^^

Or a nice winter/holiday arraignment for the table(s)?from the florist?

Or some flower bulbs for her garden if they have one: right now you can order bulbs which will be shipped to her in spring, they will flower in the summer- you even could help her plant them.
(When giving it you could just cut out a pretty photo of the bulbs in bloom- in a small frame)
They come back usually- depending on the climate hardiness zone.
You can gift her fall planting bulbs and plant them in spring, but they won’t flower this year.
DM me for you specific climate suggestions if you go with this idea

Just as an example below

https://www.dutchbulbs.com/category/...tm_content=Buy

https://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/?ut...s%20For%20Sale

https://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs
Plants are a great idea. If I spend too much on anything, it is plants for my garden. A gift certificate for a nursery would be very appreciated. If someone can’t Garden, then who wouldn’t enjoy a nice live plant or fresh flowers?

Old 12-21-2019, 07:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
What to buy for the person who has everything? (husband, sister)

Nothing.

Without being near to rich, I do have everything I need or want. A person's goodwill and friendship is a gift that matters, the do-dads are just junk to be put on a closet shelf or given to a charity shop.

This idea that you have to give people a thing, an object, to show your love and appreciation is baffling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
For most it's common courtesy. I may have to settle for treating her at the restaurant. She doesn't need me to, it's the principle.
Where is the "common courtesy" of loading someone "who has everything" with more "stuff."

So "settle" is the name for treating someone to your company when that person already, according to the scenario, has stuff, stuff, stuff enough? You make it sound as if honoring the relationship with some personal company at lunch is second rate when compared to buying token items they seemingly don't need and probably don't want.

Why would such a person want a do-dad like a "friendship box" (or whatever) when they could have an hour or so of personal friendship time at lunch? Someone has suggested a donation to a charity, and this has the really significant plus of spending any cash in a beneficial way.

Last edited by kevxu; 12-21-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-21-2019, 08:30 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Sigh she's on a pretty strict diet but that could work. I am sure she cheats.
How about that fruit basket that has some of the fruit dipped in chocolate?

Old 12-21-2019, 08:43 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:

I broke down and asked please tell me something you'd enjoy! She said I have everything. Just don't.

She did say I could treat her at the restaurant Monday. We're going to see the lights and then eat and have a cocktail or two. On ME!
Why don't you take her at her word that she doesn't want a gift, and treat her to lunch as planned? At this point you buying her something is more about you than about making your friend happy.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:48 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,912,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Someone beat me to my suggestion: an amaryllis.
I am in a group of 5 friends who get together every year at Christmas and exchange small gifts. A few years ago, my friend gave us all a potted/rooted cutting from her Christmas cactus. This is an easy plant to keep and mine has gotten bigger every year. Last year it started blooming and it is blooming again as I type this. This year, we all got a potted/rooted cutting from her jade plant with a decorative Christmas pick in the pot to make it festive. I think of her whenever I look at these plants and enjoy them very much. It is personal and inexpensive. A great gift, I think!

Old 12-21-2019, 09:29 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
https://www.uncommongoods.com/

Best place ever. Found it because of another cd poster.
Thanks for the tip - they have great stuff!

Old 12-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Thanks for the tip - they have great stuff!
I am a vegan. My daughter sent me a box of vegan brownies from Uncommon Goods. They are made by an "open hiring" company in New York. This means they hire people with no resume, no interview and no background check. Basically, they give people a first chance or a second chance or a third...... to get on their feet when others might not hire them. The brownies were great, too! It was a nice and meaningful gift.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:06 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why don't you take her at her word that she doesn't want a gift, and treat her to lunch as planned? At this point you buying her something is more about you than about making your friend happy.
I didn't catch that and agree. If she said don't buy anything then I would do the planned lunch.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I didn't catch that and agree. If she said don't buy anything then I would do the planned lunch.
Once when I was in a similar situation, I had a server snap a pic of me with my friend. I printed the picture and sent it to her in a card saying how much I enjoyed our lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships