Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 11:28 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Last year I got a small gift, a pretty soap dispenser because I noticed her kitchen had a plain plastic one. This year I have no idea AND I want to include her husband and son who have helped me move furniture.

Her other friends seem to know how to come up with nice gift ideas, and I don't. The pretty soap dispenser and some fun little bottles of vodka in different flavors on another occasion and I am out of ideas.

Oh, and a long time ago before I knew her better I got a small cake and a gift card for a birthday. The gift card went to her son, as she doesn't like Starbucks.

I pressed a higher value gift card later to a place I KNOW she and hubby like to eat but she didn't want to take it at all.

The income disparity is huge and to me that doesn't mean I don't do my share of giving but to her it does. It would pain her if the gift is too expensive.
She might be like me and just hates getting stuff

And the soap dispenser you gave her - does she use it?

She might have a specific way of doing things and hates getting items like kitchen stuff.

My sibling is always doing this. I only buy packs of white flour sack cloth towels. I use those for everything. I do not want colorful dish towels etc. These i can throw them in the wash with hot water and bleach. Can't do that with colorful ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 11:30 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m kind of there too. I tell my kids, if I can’t eat, burn it, or otherwise use it up, I dont need it. A nice bottle of wine or booze, or chocolates or coffee or tea, or fancy soaps, work for me.
i say if i cant eat it or spend it - i don't want it!

Old 12-21-2019, 01:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
She might be like me and just hates getting stuff

And the soap dispenser you gave her - does she use it?

She might have a specific way of doing things and hates getting items like kitchen stuff.

My sibling is always doing this. I only buy packs of white flour sack cloth towels. I use those for everything. I do not want colorful dish towels etc. These i can throw them in the wash with hot water and bleach. Can't do that with colorful ones
Yes, that was a hit. She was using a plastic one and this is stainless steel which matches her kitchen decor.

Another hit was a bark box. With 5 dogs more toys and treats will get used.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why don't you take her at her word that she doesn't want a gift, and treat her to lunch as planned? At this point you buying her something is more about you than about making your friend happy.
Could be. Normal people don't like to only be takers.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Where is the "common courtesy" of loading someone "who has everything" with more "stuff."

So "settle" is the name for treating someone to your company when that person already, according to the scenario, has stuff, stuff, stuff enough? You make it sound as if honoring the relationship with some personal company at lunch is second rate when compared to buying token items they seemingly don't need and probably don't want.

Why would such a person want a do-dad like a "friendship box" (or whatever) when they could have an hour or so of personal friendship time at lunch? Someone has suggested a donation to a charity, and this has the really significant plus of spending any cash in a beneficial way.
I understand what you are saying, but here is the deal. She has reported gifts in the past that she LIKES. Look! So and so gave me this! Other times she says so and so gave me blah blah and I gave it to my son/a client/etc. so I'm trying to something I obviously cannot: think of something that she would like.

Her saying 'you can treat me to something at the restaurant' was her saying If you must do something, you can do that' when I was at a loss and had to directly ask something she'd enjoy. She knows I take issue with always being on the receiving end.

It's about income to her. She doesn't want me to spend when she can buy anything she wants. She always wants to pay for lunch/dinner. She'll give me a lecture in advance 'I know you want to pay, but it doesn't make sense'.

She doesn't know it, but going to see these lights is sort of a present. I don't want to. I am because she wants to and I could tell she was let down when I didn't go last year.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:02 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
A box of good chocolates.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
A box of good chocolates.
Almost everyone likes those. My sister and Aunt get them every year but this year I sent those gourmet cookies. I hope they are as good as they look.

Someone said something impersonal about Amazon. My sister thinks it's fun. I sent several small gifts to her when she was helping with my brother and it became a joke to them. Amazon package - must bed something from Jen (they never use it).

Old 12-21-2019, 07:27 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
At this point, it's getting harder & harder each year to decide on what to get the loved ones in my life too. Here are some (general) ideas:

- DVD movies - There's always a good movie that's been out

- teas or hot chocolate mix - Like that idea

- handsoaps & lotion - that should always be useful IF you know what scent(s) to get

- throw - to curl up on the sofa w/

- slipper socks

- scarf & hat &/or glove set

- nice writing pen or pack of pens

- fancy cookies/candy/chocolates

- book or magazine

- GCs for: Target, Walmart, Sephora, good restaurant, movies, Starbucks or smoothie place, grocery store

Old 12-22-2019, 07:16 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,207 times
Do they like movies? You could buy them a RedBox gift card, some microwave popcorn and a few other snacks and put it in a gift basket to give them a family movie night.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:09 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Could be. Normal people don't like to only be takers.
It's possible to show gratitude without trinkets and tchotchkes. This woman knows you're on a budget and she's told you not to buy her anything. A real gift would be listening to her wishes, and just enjoying the time you're spending together.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-22-2019 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships