Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times

Advertisements

In my case, I just left. There was a coworker who had been with the company 23 years and it seemed like management thought she could do no wrong. But I worked in a work queue remotely with her and watched her blatantly hoard the easiest work for herself, which management didn't know because they didn't watch the work queues. She also would wait in the work queue until people with way less experience had taken the hard accounts and then she'd jump in and get the next ones in line that were easy. Then she had the nerve to accuse coworkers of doing exactly what she was doing, but I never saw anyone do anything to the extent she did. In meetings she always sucked up to the managers and was sickeningly sweet. I thought about talking to management about it, but she had been there so many years and obviously they thought she was a model employee and I realized telling on her would just make me look bad. I always hoped that someone with more seniority than me would report her. I don't know if they ever did. She didn't do anything specifically to me except sending me an email one day telling me how to do my job as if she were my supervisor, which I basically ignored.

It just got to where I dreaded logging on every day and watching her cherry pick. So I quit. I made up an excuse about wanting to spend more time with family; didn't tell on her. I'll let karma get her. I was offered a job at another company for more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I commend you for putting up with that man for apparently decades. You must’ve really liked it there and it must’ve been a great company.

When you mentioned toward the end of your career, I was stunned you put up with him all those years.
Thank you. I didn't have to put up with him for my whole career as he got moved to the morning shift for several years. Then the other crew complained so much that he got sent back to nights. I groaned when I heard the news. But by that time he'd seen the handwriting on the wall and had stopped the power games. He'd also come out of the closet and found happiness with a partner, so that also made a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
Thanks for that share, it made me smile. I just have to say...you handled that with class and integrity. Class act you are!
Thank you! I'm glad I could make you smile.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
You will find these people in all workplaces unfortunately. You shouldn't worry too much about them. They often are dealing with personal matters that have nothing to do with you or the workplace. Good managers know how to deal with these things, and they probably understand the situation better than you do. Sometimes they will even "befriend" the toxic workers and spend more time with them in an effort to help the situation.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:35 PM

18,103 posts, read 15,683,109 times
I had a coworker in a brand new department who was toxic. She was rude right from my first day. It soon became clear she was an insecure, unhappy, resentful woman. We were about the same age. I didn't know it at the time, but I was brought in at a higher band level, which made her furious and created her initial resentment towards me. She was secretive, would hoard any project that our little department identified, and our director was a bad manager who didn't know how to manage much of anything, so she ran circles around him and made sure I got assigned the crap work.

I didn't know what to do about the situation and had no idea what the problem was, so I just tried to ignore her bad behavior. Within a couple months there was a reorganization and she and I were moved to another, group. We were supposed to work together but that never happened. The hostility only seemed to grow in the subsequent weeks. She hated her job, hated the company, hated the management, hated me, was miserable.

Finally she found another job in a different company and left, 6 months after I started. She made sure I was not invited to any going-away lunch or event held for her (not that I would have attended anyway).

Old 12-19-2019, 08:27 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Update: Its supposedly being dealt with today. We will see...

Old 12-20-2019, 06:12 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post

Hope you get some good news.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:36 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times
Quote:

OP, what is the verdict? Did it get taken care of?

Old 01-02-2020, 08:48 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
Quote:
Update: It's going to be "dealt with" per the HR person coming into my office and telling me. She was very sincere about it. I'm excited!
Quote:
I never have either, so I agree. It may go nowhere, but I've been directly told it is being dealt with and there was a meeting about it. I won't know until Monday.
Quote:
My stomach actually dropped when I read the first response. I was in the exact same position once, with the exact same sense of hope after talking to HR. Everyone in my office, from my boss to my supervisor to my coworkers all agreed that the other person was horrible to me and had violated Respectful Workplace guidelines.

Then HR "dealt with" the situation by deciding that I was the trouble maker for the organization for bringing attention to the conflict, and I was forced out.

I hope your outcome was/is better.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:56 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
My stomach actually dropped when I read the first response. I was in the exact same position once, with the exact same sense of hope after talking to HR. Everyone in my office, from my boss to my supervisor to my coworkers all agreed that the other person was horrible to me and had violated Respectful Workplace guidelines.

Then HR "dealt with" the situation by deciding that I was the trouble maker for the organization for bringing attention to the conflict, and I was forced out.

Exactly! HR and/or management don't want specific problems voiced out loud and pinpointed. They prefer everyone to pretend that everything is fine. And if it's not fine, then have a "team building" session, that will solve everything.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:10 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
OP, what is the verdict? Did it get taken care of?
Yes, I was told so, but today is my first day back since they addressed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post

I hope so too, but nothing would surprise me with this company. Time will tell I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships