Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 06:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As we live next door to the airport why is it everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..
When you say "take them home," are you referring to your home (where they left their car) or to their home?

Until BOTH of you learn how to say no, it's going to continue, and you have no one to blame but yourself. People can only take advantage of you if you let them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 07:07 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Well the several phone calls have me awake at midnight so my wifes moochy friend can get a free taxi ride home in our car ,i feel my wife is being taken advantage of.
Is your wife allowed to have feelings of her own? Or is that your job too?

Old 12-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
It doesn't make your wife's life more enjoyable, that she's apparently a very connected, generous social butterfly and you are grumpy and put-upon.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:27 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Midnight is rather late to ask for a ride from the airport. But if your wife does not mind it, it's mainly between her and her friend.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:00 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Well the several phone calls have me awake at midnight so my wifes moochy friend can get a free taxi ride home in our car ,i feel my wife is being taken advantage of.
How is she being taken advantage of when she volunteered?

Old 12-30-2019, 12:05 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Quote:
As we live next door to the airport why is it everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..
Learn how to say no.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It doesn't make your wife's life more enjoyable, that she's apparently a very connected, generous social butterfly and you are grumpy and put-upon.
Hmm. Maybe OP is grumpy because wifey didn't choose to stay home to focus her attention on HIM!

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but doesn't your wife have a mind of her own?

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-30-2019 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 04:07 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Your wife volunteered, so the only rude one is you.

Next time someone asks you, you say NO. NO is a complete sentence.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

Jambo, you haven't really made it clear. Which one of you is your wife volunteering to be the one to do the driving - you or your wife?

If your wife is the one volunteering to pick up her friends and drive them home herself then just ignore it. Don't be grinchy about free taxi rides in the family car. If it's what she wants to do then let her do what she wants with her friends and you can hang out alone at home and go to bed when you feel like it. Don't try to keep her tied to you at home just because you don't want her helping her friends.

If your wife is volunteering YOU as the driver then she should NOT be doing that and you can tell her you are feeling too old and sick and tired to do it and she will have to drive them herself. She already knows you aren't very well these days so she's in no position to argue or volunteer your services to her friends.

If your wife is really being taken advantage of because friends are asking her to drive them home and she doesn't know how to say no, then she already has a good excuse for not driving people around. She can tell them that you are not very well and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving you alone so she wants to stay home to look after you. Her friends cannot argue with that, and if they do argue then she will know they are not really her good friends who care about her own well-being, they are opportunists.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:43 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I always volunteered to pick up friends from the airport when I lived in Hawaii (I lived about a 10-15 minute drive from HNL), and a few took advantage of. Some far too frequently for my liking, but I did it as I knew that I could call on them to do the same when I was flying back home, even though I actually requested such of friends far less frequently.

The problem I had largely is that they generally didn't even offer to put in for gas most of the time. They'd largely offer to buy me lunch, but we all know how that turns out most of the time (people forget and move on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships