Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 05:49 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,985,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If a person doesn't want to do something, I think it's best to either just say no or make up an excuse (i.e. tell a white lie). Saying "our vehicle is no longer insurable as a taxi" is rude, aggressive, and obnoxious. There's absolutely no need to resort to that kind of garbage talk. Why you seem to think that's "cute" is beyond me. You'd essentially be ending the relationship by saying something like that.

But all of that is irrelevant here as nobody is being taking advantage of. The OP's wife volunteered to help her friend!

The real issue here seems to be with the OP. What's up with him? Why does he care?
Did OP's wife "volunteer" because she's afraid of ruining relationships if she says no? Is she the kind of person who can't say no? Do we know she doesn't have a problem with it, just because OP didn't say outright that she does?

OP probably cares because they're sick of their money being used for gas and wear-and-tear on the car, their time being used, people just assuming they'll be available and happy to drop everything, etc. Airports are often well outside town, which means this isn't a 5 minute run, but can be 30+ miles and possibly an hour or more one way-- that's why the taxis are pricey.

It might be easier, OP, if you just tell people they can park their car at your house (if you have room and are inclined) and then you're not stuck running them all the way home. Or, if they are visitors and not coming to visit you, why doesn't the person they are coming to visit pick them up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 07:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I have a cheap friend that every December asks me to pick up he and his daughter at the airport and to stay with me the night before their cruise. Every year I tell him no.

I am not the free Holiday Inn and shuttle service.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:57 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I have a cheap friend that every December asks me to pick up he and his daughter at the airport and to stay with me the night before their cruise. Every year I tell him no.

I am not the free Holiday Inn and shuttle service.
Who knew that kindness is so expensive?

I live in Maryland and I have a friend who lives in Virginia. One time, I was driving south, and I wanted to position myself on the far side of Washington, DC so that I wouldn't have to deal with their infamous traffic congestion right off the bat. My friend offered to let me stay at his house, and I gladly accepted; we had a nice little visit the night before my trip, and then that morning I was able to get a good start and avoid the traffic.

Just last week, this same friend was taking a cruise out of the port that's just a short distance from my house. I offered to let him keep his car at my house (so he wouldn't have to pay for parking at the port) and to drive him between my house and the port. Sure, it was a little inconvenient. But I was happy to see him and chat with him, even if it was only for the short drive to and from the port.

So, I guess we ARE the free Holiday Inn and shuttle service. It's called being friends.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:02 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The problem I had largely is that they generally didn't even offer to put in for gas most of the time. They'd largely offer to buy me lunch, but we all know how that turns out most of the time (people forget and move on).
I think it depends on the situation. To use your Hawaii example, if you went from Honolulu to HNL and then took your friend to Waikiki, that's such a relatively short distance that only a cheapskate would expect help with the gas money. Presumably they'd want to see you during their visit (since they're your friend and all), so maybe they could buy you a drink while they're with you, as a token of appreciation. But on the other hand, if you're taking them from the airport up to the North Shore (and then you're driving back from there to Honolulu after you drop them off), then yeah, they should put in for gas, or buy you lunch, or something.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:21 PM

17,760 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Did OP's wife "volunteer" because she's afraid of ruining relationships if she says no? Is she the kind of person who can't say no? Do we know she doesn't have a problem with it, just because OP didn't say outright that she does?
All we know is what the OP wrote. His wife volunteered, and he'd be in the dog house if he says anything about it.

OP, I didn't know that you are sick. If that has something to do with this situation, I sincerely apologize for the somewhat harsh comments I made.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:22 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Who knew that kindness is so expensive?

I live in Maryland and I have a friend who lives in Virginia. One time, I was driving south, and I wanted to position myself on the far side of Washington, DC so that I wouldn't have to deal with their infamous traffic congestion right off the bat. My friend offered to let me stay at his house, and I gladly accepted; we had a nice little visit the night before my trip, and then that morning I was able to get a good start and avoid the traffic.

Just last week, this same friend was taking a cruise out of the port that's just a short distance from my house. I offered to let him keep his car at my house (so he wouldn't have to pay for parking at the port) and to drive him between my house and the port. Sure, it was a little inconvenient. But I was happy to see him and chat with him, even if it was only for the short drive to and from the port.

So, I guess we ARE the free Holiday Inn and shuttle service. It's called being friends.
But I think the difference is that your friend offered to let you stay at his house; you offered to let him keep his car at your house. The favors were offered, not requested.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:30 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think it depends on the situation. To use your Hawaii example, if you went from Honolulu to HNL and then took your friend to Waikiki, that's such a relatively short distance that only a cheapskate would expect help with the gas money. Presumably they'd want to see you during their visit (since they're your friend and all), so maybe they could buy you a drink while they're with you, as a token of appreciation. But on the other hand, if you're taking them from the airport up to the North Shore (and then you're driving back from there to Honolulu after you drop them off), then yeah, they should put in for gas, or buy you lunch, or something.
Very good points. In my case, however, I'd be taking them to Aiea or Kailua most of the time, so I'd still be going out of my way. They'd be saving significant money in not having to call a cab and I'd be wasting time and and gas picking them up. When I rely on friends for an airport pickup, I'd always slip them at least a $10 to show my appreciation.

If it was a once off situation, I'd have less of a problem, but I became their go to person for airport pickups when they took leave or were returning from deployments.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm. Maybe OP is grumpy because wifey didn't choose to stay home to focus her attention on HIM!

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but doesn't your wife have a mind of her own?
It was midnight when the mooch wanted her free taxi ride. wife does have a mind of her own but shes the type thats overly generous and can be easily taken advantage of. this person wanting the free taxi ride has never been to our house and we have never been to hers the relationship is basically an occasional phone call.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:12 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Sounds like your beef is with your wife then. Why don't you let her know how stupid and weak you think she is instead of namecalling her friends?

By the way, I agree with bus man about friendships.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As we live next door to the airport why is it everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..

I can tell you exactly why everyone asks you... because you say yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships