Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 10:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times

Advertisements

Asking for money sounds petty.
I could never do that.
We have family spread out from the Pacific to Eastern Europe.
Always an open door, spare room and yes free taxi services here.
Sometimes we don’t even know the people because they are good friends of cousins or new in-laws.
4 week stays are common.
Sometimes it can get a bit taxing but we have been doing it as long as I can remember.
I think for us it might be an ethnic thing because we are from the old country.
Never considered my family to be “floor mats”.
We are far from that.
Wouldn’t have it any other way.
It makes me feel good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 10:29 AM

922 posts, read 792,451 times
I used to live in southeast Denver, which was quite a long way from DIA. When I had to go out of town on business, I would take a shuttle from the airport to a hotel close to home and have a family member pick me up there. Same with getting to the airport. I am sure these folks that ask for free rides could do the same.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why do you think that’s especially laudable?

I don’t see any shame attached to suggesting someone get an Uber instead. Maybe they’ll learn a valuable life skill: resourcefulness.
Required to have "connectivity" to use 'rideservice' options. 15%+ of the USA does not have connectivity (especially the rural dwellers), thus these services do not serve our area. Foreign travelers to USA are often not able to navigate the USA cell network until they can get to a commercial site to buy connectivity. While foreign airports usually offer that service at the terminal, few USA airports have data service sales 24x7. (The rural USA gets ranked "least / most confusing nation for connectivity" among many foreign travelers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I used to live in southeast Denver, which was quite a long way from DIA. When I had to go out of town on business, I would take a shuttle from the airport to a hotel close to home and have a family member pick me up there. Same with getting to the airport. I am sure these folks that ask for free rides could do the same.
No shuttles to the rural areas I live (or lived when in CO). Reduced options after midnight are usually the reasons for 'late night pick-ups, and 3-5 AM drop-offs.

It's no crime to decline, and no self serving 'back-pat' to offer to do this for others. Everyone is different and is free to express that difference. Please exercise your right to freely communicate your desires, before 'acting-out'... "going postal", or "souring a relationship", "condemning others for YOUR issues". Quite honestly, those who may be asking you top do this would prefer an honest reply. It is not a crime for them to ask.

Honesty and clear communication is always 'preferred'. No 'implied consent' desired.

My neighbor (like me) is usually awake till 3AM and may be looking for something to do for others during the time others are not available. Neighbor on the other side of our home is just getting up at 3AM, and we all know and utilize to suit each condition.. One of use recently took the other to an international departure at 5AM, and the other picked them up when they returned at 1AM.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:24 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
I don’t see any shame attached to suggesting someone get an Uber instead. Maybe they’ll learn a valuable life skill: resourcefulness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Sometimes, you just need to tell people like it is.
Maybe you'd be okay with it if they start paying. Start asking for money as a response so that you don't feel like you're being taken advantage of. Do something. If "no" is better, then do that.
The OP's wife VOLUNTEERED to help HER FRIEND.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:15 PM

17,588 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As we live next door to the airport why is it everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..

Solution is easy.

Just say NO!

Old 01-01-2020, 06:12 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
So?

Everyone's cheering for the OP's wife. My question was why is this considered especially laudable, to give a friend a ride from the airport? Will there be an awards show where the OP's wife is called up on stage to receive a gold Ride Saint statuette from Ryan Reynolds? Will she get a slightly-better-than-average condo in heaven for having given a friend a ride instead of demurring?

Now we return to the regularly-scheduled virtue signaling, already in progress.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:41 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Quote:
So?

Everyone's cheering for the OP's wife. My question was why is this considered especially laudable, to give a friend a ride from the airport? Will there be an awards show where the OP's wife is called up on stage to receive a gold Ride Saint statuette from Ryan Reynolds? Will she get a slightly-better-than-average condo in heaven for having given a friend a ride instead of demurring?

Now we return to the regularly-scheduled virtue signaling, already in progress.
Huh? Where did all of that come from? The wife is helping a friend because she wants to. Nothing more, nothing less. The OP has a problem with it for an unknown reason.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:16 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Huh? Where did all of that come from? The wife is helping a friend because she wants to. Nothing more, nothing less. The OP has a problem with it for an unknown reason.
But are you really volunteering if someone is calling late asking?

Old 01-02-2020, 12:30 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
But are you really volunteering if someone is calling late asking?
The OP never said anything about the friend calling late and asking for a ride.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:50 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
I can see this happening in our home. But, my DH would probably say: “WorldKlas, don’t you think its a little much for her wanting a ride at midnight?” And I would say, “Yep, I regret saying yes but didn’t know she’d be coming in at this time.” And he would say “Well, I don’t want you driving alone at that time so I’m coming too.” And I would say “You don’t have to, I have my phone & I’ll call if there’s a problem.” And DH would say “Nope, I’m coming.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships