Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

As we live next door to the airport why is it everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 09:52 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Growing up our family would even put up f&f who traveled from a distance before they continued on their way around the country to other spots. It was fun then. Shuffling beds. Sometimes a girls room and a boys' room...I mean for the adults as well as the children when the count was right for that. Happy memories for me but they were close friends and family.

Maybe have a conversation with your wife that if she really wants her friend picked up, she can do it. If that's not safe for her then she should tell the friend it's not safe for me to drive then.

As far a similarity to taxis....do you and your wife get paid?

Wondering if you have set yourself up as a taxi by volunteering or accepting so often it is a given now. Or if the friends and acquaintances are being very pushy.

You could explore sending a note to the regulars bordering on cute that alas we are unable to.....our vehicle is no longer insurable as a taxi, etc.

How much notice do these people give you for you picking them up?

And do they at least offer to pay?

Old 12-29-2019, 10:06 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
You could explore sending a note to the regulars bordering on cute that alas we are unable to.....our vehicle is no longer insurable as a taxi, etc.
There's nothing "cute" about that. It's just downright rude.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:23 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Is saying no not a possibility?

Old 12-29-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As we live next door to the airport why is it everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..
It's your wife's friend. Not only does your wife not have a problem with picking up and driving her friend home, she volunteered.

Why is this any of your business? Does it affect you in some way?

Old 12-29-2019, 10:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
I've lived right by the airport before. Usually family and friends just parked their cars at my place. I think there's been a handful of times where we dropped/picked them off. That's about as far I would be willing to do.

Your wife volunteered to help her friend out. How is that rude?

Old 12-30-2019, 12:45 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's rude to not be taken advantage of? No. No one's calling me regularly for free gas and transport and suitcases and people in my car or for free rides like they are making appointments for free rides. And that's not because of me. It's because they have self respect and honor too. I continue what I mentioned my family did in the past. But f&f don't show disregard nor act like it's expected.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's rude to not be taken advantage of? No. No one's calling me regularly for free gas and transport and suitcases and people in my car or for free rides like they are making appointments for free rides. And that's not because of me. It's because they have self respect and honor too. I continue what I mentioned my family did in the past. But f&f don't show disregard nor act like it's expected.
If a person doesn't want to do something, I think it's best to either just say no or make up an excuse (i.e. tell a white lie). Saying "our vehicle is no longer insurable as a taxi" is rude, aggressive, and obnoxious. There's absolutely no need to resort to that kind of garbage talk. Why you seem to think that's "cute" is beyond me. You'd essentially be ending the relationship by saying something like that.

But all of that is irrelevant here as nobody is being taking advantage of. The OP's wife volunteered to help her friend!

The real issue here seems to be with the OP. What's up with him? Why does he care?

Old 12-30-2019, 04:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:

Why is this any of your business? Does it affect you in some way?
Well the several phone calls have me awake at midnight so my wifes moochy friend can get a free taxi ride home in our car ,i feel my wife is being taken advantage of.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Well the several phone calls have me awake at midnight so my wifes moochy friend can get a free taxi ride home in our car ,i feel my wife is being taken advantage of.
Which one is it, Does everyone you know expect you to drive them to/from the airport or is it just this one friend who set you off and made you exaggerate the issue? Because of its the former, then that's your own fault for not saying no more consistently to people who ask. And if it's the latter then maybe your wife just wants to do something nice for her friend by picking them up at the airport because she's a nice person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships