Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 10:11 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Who knew that kindness is so expensive?

I live in Maryland and I have a friend who lives in Virginia. One time, I was driving south, and I wanted to position myself on the far side of Washington, DC so that I wouldn't have to deal with their infamous traffic congestion right off the bat. My friend offered to let me stay at his house, and I gladly accepted; we had a nice little visit the night before my trip, and then that morning I was able to get a good start and avoid the traffic.

Just last week, this same friend was taking a cruise out of the port that's just a short distance from my house. I offered to let him keep his car at my house (so he wouldn't have to pay for parking at the port) and to drive him between my house and the port. Sure, it was a little inconvenient. But I was happy to see him and chat with him, even if it was only for the short drive to and from the port.

So, I guess we ARE the free Holiday Inn and shuttle service. It's called being friends.
yes, I would do the same.

However, there is a fine (or not so fine) line between offering and expecting and how the friendship is overall.

I get contacted by people through facebook who are friends of friends in Germany. I don't even know them. They want to start a facebook friendship so they can come "visit" me, aka have a cheap trip to sunny California and stay at my house for free. No, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If it was a once off situation, I'd have less of a problem, but I became their go to person for airport pickups when they took leave or were returning from deployments.

Based on the OP's phrasing of "everyone" it sounds like this is just the latest example of many.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As we live next door to the airport why is it everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..
I have tried to make a commitment to having the passenger side of my vehicle available. But in the past 2 winters. I get people at work saying "Gee! It's sure going to be cold walking home today for 2 miles" and I'll either shrug or I once said "Yep, sure is going to be a chilly morning"....

It's the old "Gas, A** or Grass. Nobody rides for free" but unless they volunteer to pay, then that's their problem. You don't HAVE to give rides. If someone ask tell them "Sorry, I'm going to be sleeping. I suggest Uber/Lyft"

Old 12-31-2019, 09:38 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
I get the impression the wife is a people pleaser.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As we live next door to the airport ... everyone coming back to town calls on us to pick them up and take them home?. at the moment i'm waiting for a flight from the west coast scheduled at midnight and my wife has volunteered to pick some one up and drive them home, rude is a mild descriptor to the way i feel,heck are the taxis on strike? this is one of my wifes friends so if i come out and say what i feel i'll end up in the dog house ..
Seems... It's the wife's deal, you can got to bed & let her do it... or do it yourself ONLY if you are willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Midnight is rather late to ask for a ride from the airport. But if your wife does not mind it, it's mainly between her and her friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I have a cheap friend that every December asks me to pick up he and his daughter at the airport and to stay with me the night before their cruise. Every year I tell him no.

I am not the free Holiday Inn and shuttle service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Who knew that kindness is so expensive?

So, I guess we ARE the free Holiday Inn and shuttle service. It's called being friends.
Similar... we are 20 min from an airport and do this for many friends, neighbors, soon to be friends (including international friends we have not met yet)....(for last 40 yrs). I LOVE the late night schedules (the later the better for me since I worked 30+ yrs of night shift). Friends do the same for us. This AM I did an airport run at 3:20AM.

Our home has been open for (free) guests for 30+ yrs, as was my parents, grandparents, and inlaws. Kinda rubs the 'recent' Air B&B operators (profit incentive). We do it for free, for fun and to help others out. (and to learn alot about their adventures!)

If someone insists on paying, we donate it to charity.

The best part... we came home one cold winter night and the lights were on and fireplace roaring... Unexpected international friends had dropped by and let themselves in, and had the tea on!

What a great welcome home! That was wonderful (we didn't have to start a fire, or heat the tea)

Old 01-01-2020, 03:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Sounds like your beef is with your wife then. Why don't you let her know how stupid and weak you think she is instead of namecalling her friends?
yeah that will go over real well

Old 01-01-2020, 06:22 AM

99 posts, read 56,974 times
For all the people who like to pick up friends and drive them and do other errands...good for you. Just because you feel comfortable doing it doesn't mean that everyone has to.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:14 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmium View Post
For all the people who like to pick up friends and drive them and do other errands...good for you. Just because you feel comfortable doing it doesn't mean that everyone has to.
And the OP's wife seems to be one of those people. Good for her.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:39 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And the OP's wife seems to be one of those people. Good for her.
Why do you think that’s especially laudable?

I don’t see any shame attached to suggesting someone get an Uber instead. Maybe they’ll learn a valuable life skill: resourcefulness.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:47 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
Sometimes, you just need to tell people like it is.
Maybe you'd be okay with it if they start paying. Start asking for money as a response so that you don't feel like you're being taken advantage of. Do something. If "no" is better, then do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships