Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 07:12 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times

Advertisements

You don't want to put any effort into a relationship with your mother, but you want her on call when you need advice? That's unfair and pretty selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 08:08 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Here's the dynamic at work here, OP.

Despite a set of serious health concerns, your mother views you (correctly) as completely capable of running your own life. That's a stake she has in the ground. You're good, despite many challenges, she doesn't have to spend a moment wondering what will become of you.

Your brother is probably a warm, loving guy, and she's close to him in a relationship but knows he will never, ever be capable of anything at all, and when she's gone who knows what will happen to him.

Your sister (is she in prison?) is also unreliable and hasn't turned out well.

When the one person she expects to be capable and fully "launched" needs help, she can't give it. She can't let go of the belief that you're fine and not a concern.

Also, despite her advance age, your mother sounds childlike.

Are you married? Any kids?

Old 01-05-2020, 09:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You don't want to put any effort into a relationship with your mother, but you want her on call when you need advice? That's unfair and pretty selfish.
Yep.

Make up your mind, OP.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:23 AM

21 posts, read 7,862 times
Wasn't trying to be mothered, my mom was an RN. Thus, I asked for her advice. Sorry to bother people by my post. Seemed to rub a lot of people the wrong way. I went to urgent care and sought medical attention.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
I really relate to your post
All I can do is sit with you and howl at the moon
I understand
Be strong you are a good son

Old 01-05-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalThom View Post
Wasn't trying to be mothered, my mom was an RN. Thus, I asked for her advice. Sorry to bother people by my post. Seemed to rub a lot of people the wrong way. I went to urgent care and sought medical attention.
We don't have a personal interest in your situation. I doubt it rubbed anyone the wrong way. It's just that you're assuming that THEY (mom and bro) are "wrong" and YOU are "right," when all have contributed to the dysfunction here.

The most glaring point to me is that you can't expect your mom to be there for you only when you want her, on YOUR terms, without also being there for her in some way that she appreciates.

Relationships require give and take from BOTH parties, even family relationships.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Cal, it's not personal. That's what happens on an internet forum. There are people who are just waiting for ways to attack other people.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:29 AM

I waived any trustee fee so my mom would have money to live. Never asked for a penny, never took a penny. I've lent my parents thousands over the years, most had been paid back. My father was circling near bankruptcy around the recession, and I took ver his account and turned it into a profitable one. I also lent about 20k to him and 10k to my mom to hold them over until the market corrected.

Tried to see if my bro would want to work with me. His response was he will not work for less than 75k a year, plus benefits. Tried to help him start a side business and grow, he told me that I should set it up and manage it for him. So, there you go. I am not the ungrateful nor unhelpful son or brother that some have suggested.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
We don't have a personal interest in your situation. I doubt it rubbed anyone the wrong way. It's just that you're assuming that THEY (mom and bro) are "wrong" and YOU are "right," when all have contributed to the dysfunction here.

The most glaring point to me is that you can't expect your mom to be there for you only when you want her, on YOUR terms, without also being there for her in some way that she appreciates.

Relationships require give and take from BOTH parties, even family relationships.
I asked a retired RN on how to lower a fever since OTC meds weren't working. Okay, I see your point.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I asked a retired RN on how to lower a fever since OTC meds weren't working. Okay, I see your point.
I don't really care about the money issues. The emotional issues are the most important to me in this situation, since that is the foundation of your relationship. This wasn't just any "retired RN."

I'm glad you're understanding that you can't box off your relationship with her into separate parts. And I'm also glad you got professional help for the infection or whatever was causing that persistent fever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships