Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 04:48 PM

21 posts, read 7,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It doesn't read as if he really wants to give that up, though. He's a financial planner, and it comes across as if he takes significant satisfaction in "knowing better" than his mom and brother.

Great advice.

Ohh, birdie birdie, birdie.. I would hope I know my than my mom and my brother, as this is what I do for a living. Since my parents were near bankrupt and they asked me to help them, that I why I did so. For years I wouldn't get involved as money and family do not mix. However, what would had been even worse is if my parents lost everything because I refused to help. So, yes, I guess I am a bad guy in your eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Wow! It more sounds like he is getting frustrated and sick of their refusal to be responsible for themselves, believe it or not parents who are irresponsible will guilt and hound the most responsible kid to enable them. I don’t believe the op is taking any satisfaction in knowing more then his mother, but more hurt that his mother a RN wasn’t bothered enough to give advice to her son, which I’m sure is hurtful to the op. I would say that they are resentful that he is doing well job wise.
When the spending was out of control, and mom refused to listen, I resigned and said she's on her own. The stipend was automatic and I no longer looked after the account. Two months later she asked for my help and finances improved. During this time, I looked for an independent advisor, but adding the lowest fee I could negotiate would actually hurt my mom, and I do not want to do that. I think distance helps and that is what I need to focus on.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
When your sister gets out of the "can" put her in charge of the trust. That'll clear everything up in short order!

And, if he (your brother) plans on eating, it'll force him to get a job. Win-win.

Rich

That would be funny. Alas, a ex-felon cannot have any fiduciary responsibilities for OPM.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Doesn't this story sound familiar to anyone else? I know I've heard it before, and the OP in that one had spine injuries from a car crash (IIRC). Same worthless mom and lapdog little bro.
Not sure how to respond to that.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No, don't wait until your sister is released. I'm going to suggest you get started on dissolving the trust now, ASAP before sis gets out and sets up that whole new dynamic. As Nov3 mentioned above, as trustee all you get out of this arrangement is you receive a stipend for managing the account - but you can turn that role over thru the courts. The court will assign a new primary trustee to take your place, one who is totally neutral and impartial and can't be swayed or distracted or guilt tripped by the rest of your family's emotional or financial dramas. Though you will lose your trustee's stipend when you turn over trusteeship you will also be shucking off a large burden of responsibility as well as emotional stress that is presently worsening your health. Your health and mental well being is more important than a trustee's stipend and if you don't have the stress of those family responsibilities on your shoulders you may even be able to improve the personal relationship with the family.

I think your post now might have hit a nerve with some people here because your post for some people is like experiencing deja vu which has gotten you off on the wrong foot. The reason why is that a few months ago there was another poster with very, very similar health problems and occupation who had almost identical family and trustee and financial problems going on with his mother and brother. While he got lots of good, sound advice from other sympathetic posters here he ignored all of the good advice he got and it became obvious that all he really wanted to do was snivel, whine and complain. He wasn't really looking for advice and had no intention of trying to improve his situation, he just wanted people to vent at and get snarky at. So some people here felt burned, lost patience and gave up on him since they were clearly wasting their time trying to help him.

I'm assuming it was a coincidence that you and that other poster had such similar parallels in your lives but if you're wise you won't fall into the same habit of chronic complaining and venting on the forum the way he did.

I do not receive a stipend. It's stated at 1%, but I never took it and it goes to the home expenses. I manage the trust and her funds/taxes/investments at no expense to her nor the trust.

Spoke to a lawyer and I was told I have to find a replacement, however, there fee, which was higher would make the trust negative each month. Therefore, it would be depleted and mom would not have money to live. I also worry about her getting older, so I want to have enough funds in the account to cover a nurse; should she need it. I am trying to find a way out of it though. I am searching and speaking to others. My accountant said she will consider taking it over.

I read some similar posts, so i get what you are saying. I was born with my aliments, so I'm used to modifying my life in order to get what needs to be done, done.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
STOP calling him your little brother. He is your younger brother
Yes you are correct.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:10 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalThom View Post
Yes, I can dissolve the trust, but the funds would go to my mother. She'd be broke pretty fast.
She’s going to be broke eventually anyway if she doesn’t change her ways, and it doesn’t sound like she plans to. So let her go broke. Maybe it will give your younger brother a swifter kick up the behind to get himself into work.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalThom View Post
Ohh, birdie birdie, birdie.. I would hope I know my than my mom and my brother, as this is what I do for a living. Since my parents were near bankrupt and they asked me to help them, that I why I did so. For years I wouldn't get involved as money and family do not mix. However, what would had been even worse is if my parents lost everything because I refused to help. So, yes, I guess I am a bad guy in your eyes.
You wish I just have a finely tuned BS meter.

Why would I think you're a bad guy? You're trying to help, yes, but you're also contributing to the dysfunction, in your own smug and condescending way, and it obviously gives you great (secret) satisfaction to be the Smart and Successful One in the bunch.

You'd have an actual question here, though, if you could see the real problem. So figure out what YOU really want from this scenario, and work toward that.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:59 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You wish I just have a finely tuned BS meter.

Why would I think you're a bad guy? You're trying to help, yes, but you're also contributing to the dysfunction, in your own smug and condescending way, and it obviously gives you great (secret) satisfaction to be the Smart and Successful One in the bunch.

You'd have an actual question here, though, if you could see the real problem. So figure out what YOU really want from this scenario, and work toward that.
Maybe your BS meter is off?
The OP is being emotionally abused by his mother.
It's obvious he cares about her and his brother to continue being the trustee & not let her seep into financial ruin.
He came here seeking advice not judgement.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:27 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Maybe your BS meter is off?
The OP is being emotionally abused by his mother.
It's obvious he cares about her and his brother to continue being the trustee & not let her seep into financial ruin.
He came here seeking advice not judgement.
I agree with this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships