Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 12:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
It's not that I am offended, it's that what is truly in their hearts and minds if the first thing they pinpoint is someone's skin color when a certain song comes on, or that skin color = certain abilities? Definition of racism!
This is stereotyping, NOT racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Again not offended. Certainly not traumatized- LOL
I just do not think my friends are enhancing my spiritual growth, per they do not seem to be trying to enhance their own.
Let's put it in a different context: Let's say you were pretty spiritual and religious. In finding Jesus/Mohammed/ etc etc, you had chosen to live your life by that type of standard, and due to that felt overwhelming contentment (maybe an oxymoron, but bear with me)
Your friends were constantly partying, sleeping around, and then would complain about not being happy, not having fulfillment.
Though you had a) set the example; and b) attempted on multiple occasions to inspire a similar consciousness in them, they continued to do things which breed unhappiness, and would then complain that they were unhappy
At what point would you be DONE?
And what if being done meant putting your own past in the grave, and not really having anyone to hang out with?

You are falling into the “ better to have anyone than no one “ trap. You can actually close one door and open another, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing, you can actually work towards nurturing new friendships. Or are you that dependent that you can’t live your life without hanging out with someone/anyone?

Old 01-29-2020, 01:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
I think if the OP alienates this group she's not going to have any friends.

And it's possible she knows that deep down which is why she's not cutting bait.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Did I miss where you mentioned it was offensive to you?

Stop thinking they can read your mind.

No, I did not personally think if was racist. If you did, then it was racist to you.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:00 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Did I miss where you mentioned it was offensive to you?

Stop thinking they can read your mind.

No, I did not personally think if was racist. If you did, then it was racist to you.
As I came on here to read this, one of the girls posted to the group a meme, making fun of the Chinese people for having the coronavirus
I am ssssooooo not making this s*** up

Old 01-29-2020, 02:20 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
As I came on here to read this, one of the girls posted to the group a meme, making fun of the Chinese people for having the coronavirus
I am ssssooooo not making this s*** up
OK, OP. But what you've described in recent posts, is that you're "stuck". You want out, but you can't see a practical way out. Is that a fair description of how you feel?

Old 01-29-2020, 02:21 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Perhaps post the meme so we can see what style of humor it is and level of offense. That will enable people to see what level of humor gets you up in arms.

Humor is used lots of times to reduce fear. Coronavirus is a frightening thing and some will find humor to be reassuring. Without seeing it, we can't see what the joke is trying to accomplish.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Perhaps post the meme so we can see what style of humor it is and level of offense. That will enable people to see what level of humor gets you up in arms.

Humor is used lots of times to reduce fear. Coronavirus is a frightening thing and some will find humor to be reassuring. Without seeing it, we can't see what the joke is trying to accomplish.
I finally talked to my husband about it. I had refrained for teh following reasons:
1) in order to over think the s*** out of it (LOL)
2) because, as discussed, it didn't bother him, so I figured I knew what he was going to say

He had a nice insight similar to yours (why I married him), that sometimes when people don't know what to do because they are inexperienced with a situation, they over-play their hand

He then related it to me not cooking and therefore over salting and spicing everything- whole different subject, LOL- but is actually a good analogy

This helps

But still Ruth is right, I would be ok without as many friends for a while. Weird that all these years I have tried to move forward into different groups/friends, and still at 51 haven't found "my tribe".

Old 01-29-2020, 03:25 PM

21,941 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Putting someone in a specific box or category due to race is not racism? What definition are you looking at? Racism is not defined only as hating everyone from a specified race. Certainly that is the worst kind, but not the only kind.
I think you are just looking for a reason to ditch your friends, whose political beliefs differ from yours. You won't be the first leftie to end a friendship because your friends support Trump. It's happened to all of us. You have my permission to ditch them. We Trump supporters get tired of the judgement and the calling us racist over every perceived slight anyway.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
I finally talked to my husband about it. I had refrained for teh following reasons:
1) in order to over think the s*** out of it (LOL)
2) because, as discussed, it didn't bother him, so I figured I knew what he was going to say

He had a nice insight similar to yours (why I married him), that sometimes when people don't know what to do because they are inexperienced with a situation, they over-play their hand

He then related it to me not cooking and therefore over salting and spicing everything- whole different subject, LOL- but is actually a good analogy

This helps

But still Ruth is right, I would be ok without as many friends for a while. Weird that all these years I have tried to move forward into different groups/friends, and still at 51 haven't found "my tribe".
Making new friends after a certain age is difficult, based on the threads we see here. And you're looking for a niche tribe.

Maybe try looking for some spiritual group on meetup if that's the tribe you're seeking?

Your husband sounds like a wise man. I would suggest you take his lead regardless of what group you find yourself in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships