Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 06:20 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times

Advertisements

Since I wasn't present to hear the tones of the voices, the circumstances of the comments, and I don't know anything about their backgrounds, it's hard to say what they meant.

Were their jokes inappropriate? Definitely. Did they mean them to be hostile or insulting? I doubt it. I'd guess they were uncomfortable or felt awkward, and didn't know how to act. I also guess they were trying to make him feel part of the group, but they went about it in the way that someone who is not used to being around other races would do it.

If it were me (depending on what I think about these people), I'd tell them at our next gathering just what you said in your post. No need to insult them. Say you know they were trying to be inclusive, and no comments bothered your boyfriend, but you were a bit uncomfortable about his race coming into the conversation or jokes repeatedly. So ask them to try not to do that. Emphasize that you know they weren't being mean or insulting. But just as a favor to you, would they mind not doing that?

If you thought they were deep down racists, you wouldn't have brought your bf in the first place, right? So I'd just go at the situation the way I said.

Your bf sounds like a good guy. He's more used to this sort of thing than you are, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 07:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I’m finding it hard to have much sympathy, sorry you have chosen to hang out with these people and then you complain. What is it you want people to say?
Exactly. First off IDK even know anyone from 40 years ago other than relatives. With the exception being one friend, but certainly not a group of people like this.

Second, why does the OP who has posted before continue with these people? JMO, I think she is one of those who enjoys drama.

OP, lighten up and get a sense of humor, not go through life trying to find offense in everything.

America is now the "land of the perpetually offended".

Old 01-29-2020, 07:21 PM

6,870 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Don't expect new friends to be any better. Different possibly. Better, unlikely.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:26 PM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It's rude but not racism.
It is exactly racism. It is behavior based upon a person's race.

Now racist acts aren't always born of evil intent. Sometimes they are born of ignorance.

The OP's friends have obviously not hung out much with black people, or they would be past saying those sorts of things. They are seeing him as "the black guy", not as MarshaBrady's boyfriend.

Yes, they should know better, but they don't. They are easing their discomfort at their own racism with trying very hard to show that they aren't racist. I think they mean well but don't understand how ridiculous they really sound.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:56 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is exactly racism. It is behavior based upon a person's race.
It isn’t racism, just a sloppy stereotype with no ill intent or feelings of superiority.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:00 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
It isn’t racism, just a sloppy stereotype with no ill intent or feelings of superiority.

Correct--and fueled by alcohol. If people are going to be with people who drink a lot, have to expect that inhibitions will be loosened and people will say stuff they normally wouldn't, just to have something to say which strikes them as funny while high/drunk.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:21 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Correct--and fueled by alcohol. If people are going to be with people who drink a lot, have to expect that inhibitions will be loosened and people will say stuff they normally wouldn't, just to have something to say which strikes them as funny while high/drunk.
It is not the SAYING of the words, it is the FEELING that predicated those words to be said. With or without alcohol, those feelings are there. That's the scary part. Same thing that the left has been saying all along about this president (someone else brought this up first, not me). Nothing to do with "boohoo crying like a baby because we lost", has to do with knowing true essence of the person (vomit emoji)

Old 01-30-2020, 09:53 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Don't expect new friends to be any better. Different possibly. Better, unlikely.
Aren't you the cheery one! It will probably take some patience on the OP's part, but sooner or later, I dont see why she wouldn't find a kindred spirit. No one said she'll find some perfect human being (in her eyes), but a better friend-match, sure, why not?

Old 01-30-2020, 11:30 AM

669 posts, read 321,303 times
I live in Toronto and grew up in a very multi-racial environment. Basically many of us are minorities. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, race joking among friends were very common. It's likely a very common thing growing up in that era, and being comfortable among friends of that time. So you're friends are still stuck in that time and way of communicating with each other. It's like with my childhood friends, we still talk like "yo! That's messed! What? Getta outta here" but would not talk like that month newer acquaintances.

If it was a newer group of people, they'd be alot more cautious about it. Best thing you can do is disassociate with them in a friendly manner. After awhile, they'll get the hint. And at this age, really, people won't care and get accustomed to you not being around but also still friendly when they see you. You're not going to change them and they will see you as the one that's changed, which you have obviously and they haven't.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post

With or without alcohol, those feelings are there. That's the scary part.
What feelings, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships