Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 08:51 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Whenever I had roommates back in the day I created alone time and made my bedroom my go to place to read, listen to music and watch my tv.
Exactly. If I had a roommate, I imagine we would both spend most of our time in our respective bedrooms. I certainly would, unless maybe we were the very, very best of friends and were cool with both sitting in the living room doing completely different things and not feeling the need to be interacting with each other constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 09:25 PM

846 posts, read 681,943 times
Working from home is fine. Being a homebody is okay. But doing both is the problem.

Do as you please. I don't judge anyone's choices. But if you're about that 23-1 supermax prison lifestyle, don't live with me.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Working from home is fine. Being a homebody is okay. But doing both is the problem.

Do as you please. I don't judge anyone's choices. But if you're about that 23-1 supermax prison lifestyle, don't live with me.
I have heard of apartment complexes getting mad at tenants who have their cars parked for extended periods, even if they are work from home people and are within walking distance to different places like the gym, corner store, laundromat, etc.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
We-ll, now, I would say bringing mass media into my home and even worse, talking about it. That's the elephant in the room and would probably be the source of all the other problems and.......

.................stopped my retired co worker dead in his tracks from turning the ranch into a Golden Pals place when he found out there was no streaming out here. He was the "Rush Lumbah is my GOD" type.

Now, on a minor point, something I am sure would cause a problem ..... and I am the cause...is that of wall art. I live to cover my walls and after all the years, I have OODLES.....and I am probably not ready to share the available space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I've never had a roommate that didn't sleep in my bed ()

But to me smoking or pets would be an instant NO!
Well, that does bring up an interesting point or two. I don't bring my dates back to the ranch, always go out to meet them, insist that they host......and most of them can't (....and there have been those who could but wanted me to not enter thru the front door). Why? Because it seems most men these days are cheating on someone and are completely untrustworthy. I don't want to bring that turmoil into my home.

And as such, I would probably not allow a roomie to bring home a lover, either, especially for two prime reasons. First of all, they may not view things as seriously as I do and secondly, why should they care? If it turns out poorly, they can just pick up their things and move somewhere else.....but this is my home, my life's investment and coming here was my last move.

As to pets, yes, I am a crazy cat lady, I believe in Daktari, pets and animals are here to live. I would be that deal breaker.
Quote:

Fair enough.....except for one thing. Since I left television forever back in 2017, effectively quite earlier, since I never bothered with "Locked up abroad" (to put it nicely), someone whose thoughts work that way, "supermax prison" terminology, would probably very quickly be in conflict with me, if only from the angle of miscommunications.

It doesn't only apply to prison but just in the way we talk. I remember long ago my Father being exasperated because he was talking about "Jack Kennedy" and I had no clue of who he meant, did not know that Jack was short for John or Dick was short for Richard.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-09-2023 at 05:19 AM..

Old 01-09-2023, 06:08 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:

Being at home 24/7 is one thing. Staying in the common areas constantly instead of retreating to the bedrooms so that the other has private use of the common space from time to time is another. I could live with the first, not with the second.
When I was married I once told my husband he had to stop following me around the house, it was suffocating to never be alone in a room.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:20 AM

686 posts, read 300,394 times
Quote:
This is assuming they are quiet. There's a chance they are, a chance they're not. But if they never leave the house, AND they happen to not be quiet.... then rough.

I never said they didn't have the right to do that. But I have the choice to choose who I want to live with.

Because most people did leave the house for 4+ hours a day... before covid.

Before it was covid, now it is downright dangerous to be outside, unless you want to be robbed, raped or stabbed. Why should a person that works remotely spend time outside unless groceries shopping. Especially as a woman. One can do everything from home with today's technology, even groceries shopping.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I think as long as they pay their rent and are respectful that's all you can ask. If they're only drawback is that they are home all the time then I think you should count yourself lucky.
Exactly this ^^^

Old 01-09-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Then you have to put this in your ad when looking for a roommate.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:05 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Hmm,I would rather have a roommate that is home all of the time.
That deters robbers.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
One potential problem in our new stay at home world is that with everything mail ordered, the potential of clutter is higher, especially if they are someone like me who believes in recycling everything they can.

On a side point to that, of getting rid of the clutter, for those who believe in their home is their Keep against the rabble......remember that the evil rabble looks at the trash to know what is in the house worthy of theft.

Could a roomie make one's place look like the Mir space station in its last years?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-10-2023 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships