Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 05:36 PM

686 posts, read 300,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have seen ads that say must work outside of home. Not sure if that is legally enforceable. Meaning can you have a rental agreement that states they must have an outside job and can you evict them if they do not follow that? But people run ads for "sleeping rooms" which are suppose to be for sleeping only.
They have to declare this in their ad and it is only enforcable if you accept it before you move in.
Many LLs do not like people working remotely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Many years ago I had just moved to a big new city. After paying and moving in, the woman says "Can you leave Friday evening and stay somewhere else on Friday nights? That's when my boyfriend comes over." It was more like an order. I just looked at her and said I didn't know anyone here and didn't think I should have to rent a motel room or sleep in my car.

So she just said this to you out of the blue? She cannot do this, only what is laid down in the rent contract goes. I hope you refused and if you accepted then at her cost!

Old 01-10-2023, 05:51 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
They have to declare this in their ad and it is only enforcable if you accept it before you move in.
Many LLs do not like people working remotely.
Why not? How could this possibly be an issue if they pay their rent on time?

Old 01-10-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post

There are LLs with the same mindset and attitude like the OP lair8 who want to share the rent with a roommate, but prefer to have the place all to themselves and need alone time = Want to have the cake and eat it too.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:51 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
There are LLs with the same mindset and attitude like the OP lair8 who want to share the rent with a roommate, but prefer to have the place all to themselves and need alone time = Want to have the cake and eat it too.
Oh, I see.. the landlord lives with you... I don't think I'd like that arrangement unless the landlord was very easygoing..

Old 01-10-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see.. the landlord lives with you... I don't think I'd like that arrangement unless the landlord was very easygoing..
Here in NYC there are a lot of ads where the LL will also be your roommate.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:27 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Here in NYC there are a lot of ads where the LL will also be your roommate.
To me, there's a difference between a landlord renting a property and a person whose name is on the lease looking for a roommate.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:42 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
More wear and tear on the property if they're there all the time? More use of utilities, if any are included in rent? Possibility of running a business out of the home, which may be against zoning or come with strangers (clients) in and out? Those are the only reasons I can think of (besides "somebody's just got a bee up their you-know-where about WFH").

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
To me, there's a difference between a landlord renting a property and a person whose name is on the lease looking for a roommate.
Or, someone just renting out a room in their house.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:21 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
More wear and tear on the property if they're there all the time? More use of utilities, if any are included in rent? Possibility of running a business out of the home, which may be against zoning or come with strangers (clients) in and out? Those are the only reasons I can think of (besides "somebody's just got a bee up their you-know-where about WFH").

Or, someone just renting out a room in their house.
They have to have the heat on.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:22 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
I've had roommates in the past. I haven't had roommates in a very long time because of having roommates in the past.

One of biggest deal breakers for me? I will gladly share my stuff, but when you disrespect how I want that stuff taken care of that you are using, that's a big deal breaker for me. No one is 'entitled' to use my stuff. Have some respect or go get your own.

Obviously, however, the biggest deal breaker is not paying their share of the rent and bills.

Someone working from home and being a homebody after work...that should have clearly been discussed before ever renting to someone. Did you not ask them what they did for work? As in, 'How will you be paying the bills? Where do you work?'

They pay the rent, they pay their share of the bills, go outside then, if you want alone time. Go to your room, close the door. Having a roommate means there's a very good chance that you aren't going to get the 'alone time' that you want. You don't get to have someone pay half your rent and bills and not actually live there.

As for 'wear and tear', give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships