Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 AM

673 posts, read 2,719,075 times

Advertisements

What would "your place" be, exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 AM

355 posts, read 1,377,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I liked the replies but felt that my intention or question in the post was misunderstood. I was just seeing if other people thought that sometimes when we are rejected we feel like maybe the other person is right, we are boring or weird.

I strongly believe that the reason some people act cold and indifferent to others is that in their mind it gives them some power over the other person. The social person comes off as needy and the aloof and cold person in in a position of power. The aloof person is powerful because she is to important to deal with the silly person who attempts to engage them in conversation.

I dont necessarily feel at fault or like I'm the weird one when that happens. I had a group project in one of my college courses and no one in the group was talking to each other and we only had a few minutes to come up with a group answer. So i made a suggestion to get people talking. They all looked up at me, said nothing, and then expected me to answer for the group. So i didnt. Or I will ask if I seat is taken and they roll their eyes and stay silent. My first impression is that they lack social skills and are just plain rude. So its like "Hey f**k you buddy, I now no longer want to socialize with you either."

Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,694,763 times
The only way that I would see it as your neighbor thinking you were boring, or weird, would be if you was running around naked or drunk or something. Then, I would be like..hhmmmmm that fella` is not all there, but I wouldn`t say what she said. I would throw up my hand, say hey, and then go inside.
I don`t see how you are thinking its a "power trip" or something, because she was rude. She`s probably just a lonely soul, who thinks its "cute" to be rude to other people.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 AM

1,009 posts, read 710,498 times
I would say that she is the rude one.. No reason , no excuses not to just say a friendly hello and thats it.. I don't care what kind of a day you are having, why take it out on someone else.

I to have a neighbor the wife is real friendly and her husband does not give you the time of day. Not that I am looking for that. When I first moved here my husband said hello to him and spoke. Then as time went on I would wave to him and nada... One day I was walking my puppy and she went over to lick him he didn't even look at us.. HOW FREAKING RUDE IS THAT...

From that day forwarded I don't acknowledge him at all, I got the message loud and clear that he wants no part of anyone on the block so be it... I would suggest one more time to say hello and if she is rude again, don't bother. You can't make people talk to you. It's a shame how society is becoming.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 AM

22,379 posts, read 19,299,750 times
all sorts of things could be going on with another person in their life, in their head, in their thoughts, that we know nothing about, and that have nothing to do with us. Most of the time it's not about us at all.

nobody is obliged to be courteous or friendly or responsive to anyone else

people can only upset us to the extent we let them. if i'm feeling hurt it is helpful for me to look at my expectations around how people "should" act or respond or behave.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:39 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,695,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I strongly believe that the reason some people act cold and indifferent to others is that in their mind it gives them some power over the other person. The social person comes off as needy and the aloof and cold person in in a position of power. The aloof person is powerful because she is to important to deal with the silly person who attempts to engage them in conversation.
I don't know about that. I think most of the time people who act cold and aloof are probably just socially anxious types lacking social skills, or they might have something on their minds, or may be having a bad day. You never know. If it's consistent, maybe they just don't like you. And so what if they don't? The world goes on.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I don't think being anti-social is putting you in your place, unless you gave her that attitude. If she is generally unfriendly, she is generally unfriendly. Probably hurt or disappointed from something in her past, not to be friendly with neighbors in general or men/women in particular. Could be you remind her of someone. I would say, that anyone that puts anyone else "in their place," is due to an attitude that the person gave them to put them in their place. Now, what did you do to the girl in college that she put you in your place?
Yeah, somebody saying "no" to wanting to dance isn't putting you in your place. She's just saying she doesn't want to dance with you. I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:01 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,462,779 times
If all you did was offer a friendly greeting, then her reaction was just plain rude. Regardless of what her history is or how she's feeling at the present time, it's just plain rude to respond in such a manner or, in the case of others' accounts, to not respond at all.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:04 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,467,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yeah, somebody saying "no" to wanting to dance isn't putting you in your place. She's just saying she doesn't want to dance with you. I don't see what one has to do with the other.
Wow, no, telling you no to a request is not putting you in your place.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Wow, no, telling you no to a request is not putting you in your place.
I couldn't tell if you were being serious or sarcastic here. I don't think it is... it depends on how she said it, I guess. I mostly think the OP is a little overly sensitive, frankly, judging from some of his statements. There are mean, rude people in the world, and then sometimes people are just having bad days and we read into their behavior things that aren't there. None of us are six anymore. Deal, I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships